Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 01:41 AM   #81
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
sixcampers i have been watching your post trying to figure out why Keystone is taking such a position in not calling you or emailing you back, that is poor customer service in that effect alone. As far as not putting a sign out while you camp, go for it. In what you stated above that your sign would say is not slander. In order to prove slander the plaintiff must prove that the facts you stated or put in print are not true and was done with malice intent. If as your facts are indeed true which I have no reason not to believe than all you are doing is stating the facts, no slander there. I would continue to do just as you are in telling anyone that ask about your experience, which is very unfortunate. We love our Monty and have had very few issues which were all minor and we took care of ourselves but everyone and all units are different. In your case I would dump the coach and trade it off while there is not that much noticeable damage before anymore damage can be done. I noticed you had bunk house model unit. At the last RV show we went to few weeks back I and wife feel in love with a Cardinal 36LE that had slide out oversize bunks with it's own bathroom. I thought it was nice rig, not in market to trade myself but liked it very much. For those of us with kids we like the bunk house, we had Cougar 281ES that we traded for Monty we have now, we looked for bunk house 5th wheel with oversize bunks but could not find one other than a Cedar Creek that we like. The problem with the Cedar Creek we went twice to look at it once we waited over hour an hour telling someone we were interested the next time I went on my own to look at it again waited for ever after asking for help and after about hour and half looking the rig over I left. They called back wanted to know if I wanted the coach I told them about the service I got and nobody thought I was real in buying new rig and nobody would talk with us, and we had bought Montana the next day, they were shocked to say the least. But in our case I have 13 YOA son who is 6'1" weighs about 180lbs that small bunks did not cut it anymore, oversize ones worked but at the time could not find on that worked for us back in 2004, now they are out there for the picking. Just my thoughts, opinions, and experiences hate to go on and on but just wanted to share that with you, good luck.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:16 AM   #82
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dirk

Sixcampers, I've been following all your posts. Sorry for all your problems. What model of camper do you have? I looked but couldn't find it listed anywhere.
We have a 2005 Mountaineer 318 BHS.
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:46 AM   #83
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

In your case I would dump the coach and trade it off while there is not that much noticeable damage before anymore damage can be done. I noticed you had bunk house model unit. At the last RV show we went to few weeks back I and wife feel in love with a Cardinal 36LE that had slide out oversize bunks with it's own bathroom.

We LOVE this Cardinal. In fact we went to a Flagship dealer here in Clermont and sat down with them crunching numbers. The would not budge at all from the MSRP and we were not willing to pay that much We would have bought the unit that day had they come down to a reasonable price but they were crazy.

Forest River is also coming out with another BH model that is awesome. It is a quad bunk with 2 slides in the BH. The floor plan is perfect for my family but again they wanted $53,000.00 - crazy!! There also was the issue of weight and the tow vehicle This model is in the SilverBack line. Forest River has a few floor plans that we liked but not in a price range that I want to spend.

We looked at a Sunnybrook - Brookside quad bunk model yesterday. The outside was beautiful. The gel coat looked like glass. The inside though did not knock my socks off. But the price is right and the floor plan would work. I am comfortable buying another SB as they are a great manuf and do really stand behind their products. We owned a SB prior to our leaky Mountaineer.

At one point we were willing to spend $40,000 or so on a camper for our family but now we are thinking that is not smart thinking. Spending more does not mean you will not have problems and it is camping after all. We are not living in the camper. We spend most of our time outside of the camper and not inside.

The Mountianeer was listed at $37,800 and we did talk them down and get a decent deal but look what my money bought me....problems. This SB is listed here in FL in the low to mid 30's and in GA for $26,000. I will be taking a huge hit trading my camper in after only owning it for one year. If I spend a lot on the new one combined with the loss on this one it would not be smart financially. If I were not taking such a loss on this one (DAM KEYSTONE) I would not have to look at campers in that price range but those are the cards we have been dealt.

But in our case I have 13 YOA son who is 6'1" weighs about 180lbs that small bunks did not cut it anymore, oversize ones worked but at the time could not find on that worked for us back in 2004, now they are out there for the picking. Just my thoughts, opinions, and experiences hate to go on and on but just wanted to share that with you, good luck.
I know exactly what you are talking about....just two years ago there was not a lot of variation from one BH model to another. Now however there are many different floorplans with a BH. The SB has oversized bunks on one side and the other side has the narrow bunks - which would be okay for us for now as my two youngest are only 3 and 5 years old.
I just realized that I may have messed this reply up ....I hit reply with quote and typed my response within your response - make sense? lol I am hitting send anyway!!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #84
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's OK, Sixcampers. You're excused. These are trying times...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #85
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
sixcampers, we are real sorry to hear about your problems with your dealer and keystone.
We also hope they get resolved to your satisfaction soon. I must say though after reading 9 pages on this subject it is time for some positive thoughts. Take care and good luck.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #86
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
I agree with you about positive thoughts! I am sick of reading my own thread lol. I am sick of thinking about this mess and talking about it. I am really trying to not let this consume me.
One of my friends came over the other day with some devastating health news. Her news really put into perpesctive what is really important in life. This is not one of them. I have a great life - 4 wonderful healthy children - a wonderful husband and my faith. That is what is important.
We are trying to work out a deal on another unit - not a Keystone. If that goes well then this will just be put behind us and I will move on a little lighter in the wallet though Until then however I am going to keep trying to get Keystone to do the right thing.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 AM   #87
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well they sure are proud of campers in FL, my 3685FL with all options even washer dryer added was only 35K. The Cardinal 36LE which I agree is nice unit that we saw was 37K. this unit had all options even had generator added. Only thing it did not have was a second AC in bedroom, which the guy said he could add it was prepped for it. the dealer in NC that had this unit was Bumgarner Camper Center in Hudson, NC 828-728-5112. Don't know much about them other than they have been in business since I was a kid, never dealt with them. Have friend who has bought two campers from them and love them. You may want to give them call he more than likely since your rig is fairly new give you trade value over the phone they are going to go by NADA book anyway. But for real this rig was beautiful had gel coat and all extra features asking was 37K bet that was not bottom dollar on the rig. The same Mountaineer you have at my dealer is listed at 28K not sure about all the options you have on yours.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #88
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
We are getting numbers on trade in value ranging from 20-28,000 depending on what we are looking at as a purchase. The Cardinal LE was 46000 and they would not budge - no way no how lol. Maybe it is me - I must have sucker - written on my forehead!
As far as options on my Mountaineer - nothing major - outside shower, upgraded AC and water heater, winterized/polar pkg (is that even an option?), slide awnings, rear ladder, boat hitch on back. None of those seem to make a difference when you are talking trade in value though. They only count $$ when WE are adding them to the unit!
I am looking that dealer up in NC. That price is worth the drive. Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #89
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Cannot hurt to give them call, you may look them up on internet and see if they have 800 number that way you not out anything other than your time to call them.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #90
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
UPADATE - Suncoast called today. I spoke with Leon Strauss. He offered to pay for a sealtech test to be done. He said we could take it anywhere we want and he will reimburse us the cost. Can you believe that he is willing to go the extra mile while KEYSTONE WILL NOT? He said his job is to make sure we are happy since we are his customers. Now that is something. I only wish the dimwits who made the camper would feel the same way.
I have zero trust in Keystone at his point but my opinion of Suncoast just changed a little bit. He agreed with us that the service dept could have performed better and apologized for our inconvience.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #91
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To be honest sixcampers that is a unusual change of heart without some encouragement from elsewhere. Could be that someone at keystone that cares finally saw your problem and did something. In any case it is a good thing for you and let us hope this is the begining of something positive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #92
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
The change of heart was all on Suncoast trust me. I would like to think that someone from Keystone called Suncoast as a consumer of their product but that is not what happened.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #93
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
I know this is going to sound crazy at this point but we have decided to go back to a Sunnybrook. We got a good deal today from our SB dealer and an awesome trade on the Mountaineer. We would be stupid not to take the deal. The decals are starting to shrink on the Mountaineer, even with the sealtech test finally getting done I just do not trust Keystone to do the right thing anymore. Had they done the right thing from the beginning of all of this I would be keeping my camper but they didn't.
I really do appreciate all of your support and kind words through all of this. You are a great bunch of people I am sad to not be a part of such a great family anymore. You put up with my cranky venting and never gave up being supportive. I hope none of you have to deal with Mr Crouch and have many many years of happy camping.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #94
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
sixcampers,

Why don't you just stay with us for a while so you can let us know about your Sunnybrook.

I hear they have factory rallys where the mfgr attends and a team fixes problems on the spot at the campsite. Would like to know if that is true. Of course the grass is always greener on the other side.

Good luck with your new unit.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #95
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Thanks I would love to stay for awhile
What you are talking about with the rallys I believe may be true. When we owned our first Sunnybrook I heard something along those lines. I will keep my eyes and ears open and let you know though. I used to be a member of the Sunnybrook forum and I am sure I will join again. I bet they would know if this is true or not.
I have to say that forum is not like this one. This forum is blessed with some really wonderful people with big hearts. When I read the thread about the woman who needed her camper transported home I was really touched by how many of you were willing to give of your time to help her out. That is a huge blessing! You can not beat that support!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #96
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Sixcampers,

I'm happy someone decided to step up to the plate and do the right thing. Sorry to see you move to another brand, but I understand. I have owned a SB and it is a good product. Please hang around and let us know how your new coach does. Hopefully you can get on to the good part of RVing!! Godspeed!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #97
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I Think that the departing of Jeff will be a great loss. As since his leaving it appears that the Mr Couch's our doing to keystone what they have been doing to other RV manufacturer. (heck with them customers they have the unit, the warranty is only one year, I have to save money for company and the more I save the the sooner I get promoted). Its a shame but it appears that way. I know my dealer is thinking of dropping keystone because of the trouble with getting them to approve repairs or get parts. They just took on two other manufactures and they love the relation ship. Said it is like what keystone used to be. Said in past few months keystone has really changed. And this is form dealer that has been with keystone from the beginning always had like 5 Montana's to 1 of other kinds. not anymore its turned around 1 to 6 of the other kinds. Man that sucks.

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:59 AM   #98
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Keham, It's funny you state that I believe you are correct. Reason I say it's funny you said that is that's exactly what my dealer told me or lead me to believe few weeks ago as well. Not the same company as it once was, they used to have 10 or more Monty's all the time, now he only has 4 of them left. They have picked up KZ line, don't know much about them though. i do know they are more expensive than Montana's are but they look very nice. I have had nothing really major go wrong with any of the 3 Keystone products I have owed with the exception of the remote thermostats and peeling decals on the Monty but both were corrected by Keystone. So I cannot say I have had bad customer service from them, just the opposite,my other two i never had first repair job for anything done on those.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:00 AM   #99
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
sixcampers I wish you well with the SB I am glad you got a good trade and was able to off load your Mountaineer. That's exactly what I would have done as well having all the issues you had.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 AM   #100
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
In reference to what Keham and Broome101 are saying - I agree. Suncoast told me yesterday that they have been having a very difficult time with Keystone lately. Getting repairs authorized has been a real hassle. He said he knows that his service dept should have taken better care of us and better care of our camper when it was there (mice, ants, blue streaks, screws etc) but as far as it sitting there for months that was all on Keystone. I do believe him. It is sad because it will be their own demise.