Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #21
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have a Garmin E Trex --now all I have to do is figure out how it works. our sons gave it to my husband for a gift. we need a seminar at a Rally on these things.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #22
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We use the Delorme GPS ($79) on our laptop in the truck for trip planning and directions. Best money we have ever spent. My wife is now an excellent navigator. We bought it in 2005 and are thinking about a newer version to get updated roads and points of interest database. We use a Magellan SportTrac Pro (about $150) hand-held for hiking, biking and geocaching. The latter does not have a very complete map or a lot of memory, but we find it very adequate for what we do with it.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #23
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
One of the things I wanted when I purchased my Magellan was the ability to use an external SD storage card. That way I can use more detailed maps with it by down loading them to the card and changing to what ever I want on the handheld.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #24
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I would only recommend you shy away from TomTom. We bought one for Christmas and went through four of them with the programs freezing up. I don't know the probloem but finally one person at Circuit City said he was aware they were haveing software problems. Also, we have a Mac so we can't use Garmin. We are looking for some alternative in order to have a navigation progrgam.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the garman GPS-18 with the associated software.We use the laptop for viewing. We have seen or used them all and thay all do about the same thing. Some are more user friendly than others.. If we get a new Tv we will get whatever comes with the truck. We have rented cars of different brands with different GPS units and they all worked equally well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:25 AM   #26
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
The only thing I would watch for on internal units provided with vehicles is the ability to update software. With the Garmin, I can periodically purchase updated map software. I don't do it each year but have done it every third year. In addition, Garmin periodically provides update downloads for the internal software of the unit. A plus (or minus) is the size of the map software that Garmin uses. The detail included in the software is too large to completely include in the unit. However, I have the flexibility to download specific areas that I am visiting. The detail insures that I can find specific attractions, streets or other landmarks.

msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 AM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

Out of all of the GPS systems out there, the one you will probably be most dissapointed in is the one in your new TV. Assuming it's the same version as we have in our Expedition (picture of 08 Ford is the same). It certainly does it's thing but is difficult to operate with the joystick, has limited language, and costs $250 to update the CD set through NavTech every two years or so. I find it much easier just to take my NUVI along.

I would say it is dashboard candy and leave it at that.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #28
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The one in our 300C seems to works just fine. It uses a DVD, and you can buy an updated one for around $150.00 when they are updated. I would rather have the one they put in the new Corvette, it has 6.5 inch screen. The one in our dash only has a 4 inch screen.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, as you know, I used a laptop with, first, Delorme Street Atlas for a few years, and then Microsoft Streets and Trips.

The other day I took delivery of a new portable GPS and dearly love it, so far. First, I tried a Garmin StreetPilot C340 but it would only allow one via, could store only one trip, could not upload routes from a laptop. Took it back and got a Magellan RoadMate 6000T. More vias but very clunky to use. Slow responding to keys. No uploading. It would allow multiple destinations per trip but would route to only one at a time. I could not see myself changing routes on the fly. Took it back. After more research I ordered a Garmin StreetPilot 2720. It's terrific in all respects. HOWEVER, it will not work for geocaching as it does not have a battery. It maintains everything in electronic memory without a battery but it will not operate without 12 volts or an ac adapter. So that won't work for your purpose.

All I can say is read between the advertising lines. Ask the hard questions and do not assume anything. I asked, for example, on the Magellan, if I could have multiple waypoints/destinations/stops on a trip. The answer was yes. However, it doesn't work the way I thought it would. It would store the waypoints as 'destinations' in a "trip" so I could find them. I had to do a route to the first one. Then when reaching the first "destination" I had to go through the menus to find the second "destination" and telling it to plan the route to that one. I cannot see me doing that rolling down the road at 60+ mph.

But I am extremely happy with the 2720 for my purposes. I really like how it is readable even in direct sunlight. And easy to use. And the mapsource software I use on the laptop to plan routes the way I want them and then upload them. Or could do that on the gps itself, too. I can store up to 50 routes on the gps, each with up to 24xx waypoints. But, again, it would not be usable for geocaching.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Brad..thanks for that Heads up.. We will do more homework on the system... Be that the case it is not worth it. Garman provides regular updates..sometime free or very little cost.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
This information is really giving us some things to look for and to avoid. I can see it's going to take some research, probably more than I expected.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by msmoonsatx
[br A plus (or minus) is the size of the map software that Garmin uses. The detail included in the software is too large to completely include in the unit.
I think on many of the Garmin models that is true. However, on my 2720, the entire US, Canada, and Mexico(I think) is permanently in the gps. Plus 750mb of user memory for whatever I want to upload. I've been uploading routes for some of upcoming towing and sightseeing trips. That and waypoints. I haven't loaded additional POI's yet.

I know the C340 also has the entire US loaded. These are not just basemaps but detailed maps. I think several others of the newer Garmins also have this.

I just applied a free update to the maps on the 2720 I just bought. They are updateable but only by Garmin's software. Not by uploading although I could upload maps to select on the gps should I have some reason to do so.

However, my 2720 is not suitable for geocaching since it does not have an onboard battery. No hard drive, either. Just electronic memory.

Judy, let me say again to research heavily and talk (as you are doing here) with those who have the models you are considering. I paid a 15% restocking fee when I returned the Magellan (opened box) and they didn't have another model I wanted.

I am fortunate to have Harmon next door and I picked his brain on some of this.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #33
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve, as I look into this I learn more and more about the amount of info there is to learn about and consider. It gets more complicated rather than less!

I hope you're picking Harmon's brain about the Northeast while you're at it! Don't forget to share!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #34
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I have a Garmin C340 which I like very well. Just wouldn't be the type you would want to attach to your belt to go hiking with. What I really like about it is the ground speed when you are moving in the vehicle. You don't have to guess at your speed by looking at the speedometer as it is digital right in front of you. Set the cruise and away you go. Up-dates are rather easy or if you want to you can just plug it in to your computer in stick home and turn it on and find any place in the U.S. or Canada. My daughter in Kansas City got me to buy a Garmin as she has some friends there that are execs. with the company. They all ride Harley's together. Daughter is Communications Director of Pivot International....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #35
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Judy,

Getting back to your original question, which I believe was about hand held units for Geochaching rather than vehicle navigation.

After some research, I have ordered a Magellan Explorist 210. This is not as fully featured as some hand held units, but I think it will do what we need for Geocaching, I have no intention of trying to use it to navigate, (We have Streets and Trips for that). The package I bought includes US topographic maps that can be loaded into the unit's internal memory. This model does not have a memory card slot, but does have a fair bit of internal memory built in.

From talking to other Geocachers, I have come to the conclusion that trying to compare Garmin and Magellan is like trying to compare Tow vehilces, some people like one, some like another, they will both do the job, it is just a matter of picking one that has the capability you need for the job you want to do.

If you would like more information of the one I ordered, send me a PM and I will provide all the details.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #36
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Anther thing to consider is the screen size of the hand held. With my eyes I like the bigger screen size for read ablility.......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 AM   #37
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the Garmin 2720, and use the bean bag mount. We like the bean bag mount, because we use it in more than one veh, and its very easy to remove from dash and set one the console while shopping etc. The graphics are great, and the colors are very bold, and it has a mute button for the guys who don't like to take directions from a women. When we tried to order the F-350 it was a $1,875 dollar option, the Chevy 1 ton is about the same. However GM has On- Star and it will also provide turn to turn directions. We decided on the mobility, you can move it to any veh, its just plug and play. It also has two other mounts. Good Luck on your Choice....GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Steve and John, what do you do with those files once you've downloaded and saved them? They don't incorporate into the GPS program itself, do they? No comments about my computer illiteracy either! I've actually downloaded from that site which is full of useful information.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20

On the right side you can select from several options for what it displays. I have next turn/direction, distance to turn, distance to destination, arrival time at destination, and elevation. There are other choices, also, and you can have more items than shown on this picture.

Judy, the 2720 has all those detail maps builtin. It has an additional 750mb of electronic memory to which I upload the routes and waypoints. I can then select the one I want and tell it to activate the route (for routes I predetermined) or calculate a route to the selected waypoint(s) (you can tell it to take you to several). When I no longer need them, I will delete them. For example, I used it this morning to take me to where I wanted to get my haircut, then to the Walmart SuperCenter, then home. I just found the waypoints and told it to calculate the route. Then I followed it. At the end I told it to "go home" and it routed me to this rv park, which I had marked as Home. I have these waypoints filed in a category (on the gps) named for the city we are in, so I can find them quickly. When we leave here I'll delete that category and everything in it. I have some things in a category I labeled "Permanent." Those I will not delete.

Because I want to select the roads we take to the next several rv parks, I planned those routes, with vias, on Mapsource on the laptop. The 2720 comes with Mapsource on two Cd's and has the same map that's on the gps. I then uploaded those routes and will select them when we're ready to travel to those parks.

Otherwise, I'm finding I don't need to preplan routes to local sightseeing places or restaurants, walmart, etc. I just find the waypoint and save it as a "favorite" in my category for this area. When I want to go there I select that waypoint and tell it to take me there. I can also insert additional waypoints if I want to go from one to another but it's so easy to use I just select the first place I want to go and when I'm ready to go to the next one I just select it and off we go. This morning I had it take me to a Great Clips. Then to Walmart. Then Home. There are a couple of tricky interchanges I had to go through and the detail was excellent for guiding me through the maze.

I've used Street Atlas and Streets and Trips on a laptop for years. Those are excellent choices in my opinion. But I found I did not use the laptop to get to local places because of the need to shut down the laptop, put it in it's bag, and hide it. With the Garmin I just put it in the console with power cord still attached and the unit still running. Amazingly, it keeps track of the satellites and is ready to go when I am. I could shut it off and probably will in hot weather.

The 2720 has that new screen that is very visible even in direct sunlight. It's excellent. It autodims according to light conditions and can (it's a setting) switch automatically between night and day mode. Unlike my S&T on a laptop, the entire screen dims at night so it's not a distraction. Sunlight on my laptop was sometimes a problem, although not a real big one.

It also comes with a remote, but I've not tried that.

I don't want to knock the laptop option. I used it for years and it worked very well for me. I just found I use the portable unit a lot of times I would not have used the laptop. Not everybody has the same needs or desires I do.

But, again, for geocaching, this is not the unit you'd want.

By the way, Garmin is headquartered in Olathe, KS, a suburb of Kansas City. It's eerie recognizing all the streets in their screen shots as that's the KC area. Garmin was first (and still) known for their airplane electronics.

Let me reiterate, there are many good choices out there. This just happens to be the one I have and one I'm very pleased with as far as meeting my needs/desires.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #40
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I just got a Garmin 2720 from Amazon.com for $449 plus you get a $50 mail in rebate if you purchase by 3/19. If you are thinking about buying one of these, now might be a good time.

Disclaimer: I have no association with Amazon.com nor with Garmin.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote