Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2005, 04:39 AM   #1
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Rubber Roof

Hello Everyone,
I have a question, we just took or 5er out of storage 3 weeks ago its a 2001--2955. I have it parked in our side drive and from our 2nd floor where our bedrooms are I have a good view of the roof.
We live in the country where the wind likes to blow, last week I was looking out the window and just over the living room slide in front of the air conditioner I noticed the rubber roof flapping with the breeze. Not a large portion of it only about a 2' x 2' section but enough to cause alarm. There are no tears or nothing in the rubber its just loose, like the glue came loose or something.
Can you inject glue or something through the rubber roof to attach it again? Or what do you do in this case? I am afraid if I leave it alone going down the highway at 65 miles per hour will cause more and more of the roof to work loose. Hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks,

Bill & Rita

Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
the roof is intended to move some. it isn't completely glued down. it's ment to expand and contract with the weather, but from the way you describe it ...sounds a little excessive. the next time your at the dealer, I would just have it checked to make sure, and in the mean time...keep an eye on it.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I agree with Billy Ray.Just keep a eye on it.I have heard people that have cut a slit in the rubber and appled glue underneath and covered the slit with Eternabond tape.I personally wouldn`t want to go that route myself.But it has been done with seemly good results.Like billy Ray said let your dealer make the call on which way to fit the roof.Flaping in the wind doesn`t sound good to me.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thanks Harleyrider & Billyray,

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I watch my rig close for any signs of ware & tare. I will see my dealer soon and ask him what he thinks.
I didn't realize the entire roof wasn't glued.

Thanks again as always you guy's are life savers.

Bill
Old 03-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
it's actually similar to linolium (sp?) that you would have in your house. they don't completely seal it so it can move.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #6
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
My roof had to be replaced (under warranty). Driving down the road into a 40 mph headwind, the front 15 feet or so of the roof ripped and shredded. A passing motorist pointed it out to us as they passed us. It seems that the mastic that hold it had not adhered tightly enough, the membrane loosened, billowed, pulled out the screws holding the "cap" over the front end of the roof, and finally shredded the roofing membrane. I know the roof is designed to move with expansion/contraction, but if enough of the membrane is loose to billow when driving, I would insist on a fix by Keystone. It is my opinion that Keystone "may" cover this even if out of the one year warranty. Might be good to take some pictures to show what happens. (Maybe the spouse could stand on the top of the cab of the towing vehicle as you are driving down the road at highway speed){{KIDDING!!!}} But seriously, maybe a friend could somehow get a picture for you.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:25 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I think the area is too big for normal expansion. The roof has a 12 year prorated warranty I think. Might check your manual. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:11 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
yes, warrenty shouldn't be a problem
Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Bill, Rita,

I would have it checked out as soon as possible. It is true that the roof is made to expand but by the way that you are explaining it 2’X2’ is more than acceptable. The rubber membrane should be adhered to the roof completely. It should not “lift” or “separate” from the plywood beneath it. The entire roof should be adhered to the surface below. It should not bellow in the wind. If you get a small (thumbnail) size bubble in it that is no reason to be alarmed. However, a space as large as you are describing is reason to be concerned. I would have the nearest dealer check it our as soon as possible.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hello Everyone,
First of all I want to thank everyone for their response.
Here is what I found out about my roof. I called my Montana dealer and told him of my problem, they were really helpful in answering my questions but weren't sure exactly what to do either. They suggested I call Keystone Cust. Service and find out who manufactured the rubber roof, talk to them and go from there. I called keystone and gave them the same info as my dealer, in turn they looked up the rubber roof manufacture which is Dicor. I called Dicor and they hooked me up with customer service. When I explained to them what happened they said leave it alone and keep an eye on it. I told them it would get worse blowing in the wind while traveling and they agreed. They said it sounds like water got under the rubber roof somehow and to look for leaks around the AC unit. They said they only warranty the rubber membrane itself and not the glue that holds the roof on. They said that the people who installed it are responsible for that. Meaning keystone. When I asked them what the remedy for this would be they said the roof would have to be peeled back, the plywood sanded down and reglued. I called Keystone back and told them what Dicor said. The gentleman told me that it was a 2001 and out of warentee, they only cover the roof for 1 year. He did try to help me as much as he could and told me to take a couple pictures of it and mail them to Keystone along with my Vin #. He said he would see that they looked at the pictures and maybe they would assist me somehow in the cost. I thought that was pretty fare. The guy was really nice and really tried to help. I told him I purchased a 4 year extended warranty when we bought our 5er. He said call them and see what happens. I did this, the warranty was with Heritage, I paid almost $2000.00 for this policy and they cover only mechanical problems. This is actually a waste to buy this insurance it's more for a motor home then a fifth wheel.
Well there you have it. I talked to my wife about this and we both agreed the cost would be at least $5000 or more to fix this problem. We both agreed it might be wiser to trade the unit in and get a new one. I really love my 2001 though, I just finished getting it setup like I want it with generator and all. Plus I will probally lose my hind end on it because I will have to tell the dealer where I trade it in there is a problem with the roof. I wouldn't want someone else to buy this and fall in love with it, and then find out there is a problem with the roof a few months down the road.
Well thanks again everyone, I hope all this info will fit on the site.

Bill & Rita
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Bill thanks for the update. I see units going down the highway with huge blisters in their roofs and gigantic bubbles at highway speed. I seem to be anal about checking mine and hope that it does not happen. I will double check my extra coverage to be sure that the roof memebrance and the glue process is covered. Thanks again and good luck on your future efforts for a replacement.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:41 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Bill,
Sounds like the run a round to me....if the glue did not hold it surely would not be your fault. Very disappointing, keystone only has 1 year warranty on the roof..I guess I need to double-check my manual.

At one time I was told you could inject a butyl adhesive in the roof where the bubbles are. We were not discussing a area as large as you indicated. Dicor was the one who gave me that information, maybe it would be worth a call back to Dicor if all else fails.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #13
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Bill:

I would try to talk to someone else at Keystone. We had ours replaced 2 times by Keystone. I would check to see if any of the screws are loose or broken holding the cap on. That is what happened to ours. Keystone stepped up and reparied it at no cost to us. The dealer should take pictures of the damage and send it to them. He should be able to help you out on this.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #14
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thanks again everyone, I am going to take some pictures and send them to Keystone. The fact a person buy's these extended Warranties and think they are covered is BS, they only cover mechanical problems. Nothing is covered if the siding, roof, molding, or anything else comes apart or unglued. We paid approx. $2000.00 for four years and thought we were well protected, your better off without the insurance. A new frig. or AC wouldn't cost half that. These policies are for motor homes and they sell them to 5er owners, not the same we do not have as many mechanical problems as motor homes do. 5er problems are mostly exterior.
I will keep everyone informed on the outcome.
In the meantime check your coverage. They tell you 12 years but not the glue. We go up on the roof twice a year to clean and inspect the Caulk, everything looks good. I previousely said this looseness was near the AC, not so it is just in front of the bathroom vent. Anyone with this Heritage warranty should think twice on if they should keep it or look for another. O'h I did call the Manufacturer of the roof and they told me to fix this problem correctly you would need to peel the roof back, sand the plywood and then reglue. Sounds expensive, i will find out soon and let you know.
Thanks again,

Bill
Old 03-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #15
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
I understand that the Dicor EPDM roof membrane is manufactured by Carlisle, one of the major roofing companies in the U.S. Fully-adhered EPDM roofing is a standard installation method for buildings.

You may want to check with one or more of the Carlisle-certified roofing companies in your area to obtain their opinion on the severity of your problem and alternatives for repairing the bubble.
tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #16
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Bill

Sorry to hear about your roof problems.But your posting on this will help me out and I thank you for that big time.My Montana also is a 2001 model.I bought mine NEW(first owner) in March of 2004.So i`am still under the one year warrenty.My Montana is at the dealers as I type.Well really right now its at a body shop having fiberglass damage repaired.My front fiberglass cap seperated from the rubber roof.All the screws pulled lose.As a result my roof has bubbles also.Bubbles that are as wide as the roof(8 feet long)I called the dealer up yesterday to inquire whats happening with the repairs.Its been at the dealers since January 3.This was my first call other then having some vents installed to ask about the repair work being done.I asked the guy in service did you address the roof problems?he didn`t know.I told him well some ne should know-you either fixed the roof or you didn`t.Silence came over the phone.He said its best to talk to the service manager but he wasn`t avaiable at this time.I said well when will he be available?silence again.O brother.i will give Keystone a call,i`am hoping that they will know if their has been a claim from the dealer on the roof problem.I will NOT pull my Montana off his lot until my roof problems are addressed.I had a really good feeling about this new dealer-that feeling is sliping a tad.Hope i`am wrong.thanks for listening to my venting.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:13 AM   #17
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Bill, I would take a different view on this problem. Certainly, getting Keystone to assist is most important. However, if you have a unit that you like, have gotten all the "bugs" out of it and you don't have the "itch" to trade for new, repairing the roof is worth considering. With a new unit, and manufacturer's difficulty with quality control, you may just be starting on a venture of debugging all over again. Google "RV Rubber Roof Repair" and see what is suggested. There is one suggestion for cutting out the whole bubble reglueing and repairing. That certainly is not a $5000 repair. My 2003 Mountaineer 315 RLS which we really like and have finally gotten to fuction to our satisfaction has one inch horizontal separation lines over the underlying plywood seams and I am watching closely for any progession. This to me, could be a more serious problem because it suggests motion at the seams beneath the rubber roof. Also, Dicor more than likely makes the "glue" that holds the rubber to the plywood but I would suspect it had more to do with how it was applied. (http://www.dicor.com/) I think this topic should be continued, because there will be more problems with these rubber roofs as they age and many will remain in service for many years. Solutions will be found through groups like these. I have incredible admiration for those who participate here. (I am a newbie)
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:48 AM   #18
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Harleyrider & Dgullick,
I agree we should keep this going, there are a lot of things to search out for answers. Harleyrider, you have my sympathy, I can't imagine your dealer tieing your unit up that long. I really like our dealer (Collier in Rkfd. IL) I talked to them yesterday again, thinking of trading up to a 2005. They know how much I like my unit and they told me not to fret the cost would not be even close to $5000.00 to repair the roof. They told me he would have them remove the bathroom vent and pull the roof back as far as they can, and try to repair (reglue). My dealer recommended to follow through what I started, to send the pictures to keystone and put as much pressure on them as you can. He said, who knows maybe they will go for a whole new roof. My dealer also said if I wanted to trade for a 2005 he would not deduct the problem of the roof from the trade in. He said they would handle the repair at their expense. So that was good news. I took the pictures yesterday of the roof and will try to figure out how to post them on this site. I think it would be valuable to everyone to know what to look for. There is a seam like dgullick is talking about or was it harleyrider, from the bathroom vent to just behind the kitchen stove vent, from one side of the unit to the other. You can tell that is where the plywood joins together.
There was talk about moisture getting under the rubber from the AC but this looseness is not even near the AC, it's 2' in front. The rubber around the AC is tight. Again I am a frantic about taking care of my equipment, oil, lube, silcone seals, keeping my rig polished and clean, and also following the rubber roof manufacture recommendations on what to use to keep the roof clean.
Thanks again you don't know how much I appreciate to be able to talk to others with the same problems.

Bill
Old 03-18-2005, 03:52 AM   #19
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Can anyone recommend how to get those pictures on this site? They are in the computer I just am not sure how to move them to here. There are 8 pictures.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill
Old 03-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #20
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
accuprep,
Your pictures must be posted somewhere on the internet. There are many sites that will host your pictures for free and or a rather small fee. Once you get your pictures posted somewhere on the internet then you simply make a link in a post here on MOC and the pictures will show up or you will have a link so folks can click and go see them.

MOC does NOT host pictures. I'm sure someone will come along and give you some specific information.... Good luck.

RVWheels/admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote