Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #21
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
You would think so but not the case. The tin clamp is all that broke. Upon stopping and inspecting you can see that the leafs are missing. Fortunately in our case the mounting saddles did not fail and as such despite the logistical challenges the fix was fairly simple. I carried a spare spring pack and bolt kit for the next three months until we arrived at Morryde.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3570.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	7011  

PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
You would think so but not the case. The tin clamp is all that broke. Upon stopping and inspecting you can see that the leafs are missing. Fortunately in our case the mounting saddles did not fail and as such despite the logistical challenges the fix was fairly simple. I carried a spare spring pack and bolt kit for the next three months until we arrived at Morryde.
This is the reason I call it the horse and buggy suspension that's not adequate for these heavy as trailers. For the life of me I have no idea why some people still defend this junk suspension.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #23
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
There is supposed to be a center bolt that goes all the way through all of the leaves in the spring pack & also keeps the spring pack centered on the axle. That center bolt obviously broke in addition to the clamp. The clamp only keeps the leaves from pivoting around that center bolt. The center bolt and the u bolts are what holds the whole spring pack together.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/how_...olt_s/3153.htm
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #24
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
If leafs were missing it would cause the u bolts to not be tight. It must have caused a ruckus when towing. It could be that the u bolts were under torqued which caused the eventual loss of leafs and spring clip problem. U bold torque is often overlooked in maintenance.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #25
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
everything you need:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rebo...hrome&ie=UTF-8
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #26
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Yes it was eventful but I saw it immediately and there fortunately was ample room to quickly get over to the side of the road. The axles shifted and it was an eventful next 12 hrs dealing with logistics. As I said earlier the damage was contained to the spring pack. I replaced the bolts along with the spring pack and was back on my way. It’s no secret I am not a fan of the OEM suspension for the weight that the Montana’s are spec’d.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #27
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy E View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will torque the u bolts while under there. I was wondering about a stainless clamp. Or even a square bottom U bolt with a cross bar. I’m not sure how much pressure is actually on this clamp. I will check Etrailer. Hopefully they can help me out.
Hi I just would like to say if I were you I would lift the camper up by the frame to let spring sag then apply never seize or anti seize to wear the spring rub against each other if they can't move freely they can snap. Just my opinion after 40 years of experience. Happy Trails.
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #28
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdon1057 View Post
Hi I just would like to say if I were you I would lift the camper up by the frame to let spring sag then apply never seize or anti seize to wear the spring rub against each other if they can't move freely they can snap. Just my opinion after 40 years of experience. Happy Trails.
You do know that anti-seize compounds have powdered metal in them, don’t you? They make terrible lubricants. They are meant to prevent corrosion between threaded parts.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #29
D A Busman
Established Member

M.O.C. #22371
So what would happen if after getting the clamp back in place you put a blob of silicone on it to keep it from moving again. That would allow flex but maybe keep it in place??
D A Busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #30
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
The spring needs to flex. If it isn't allowed to move up n down when driving or setting up it could snap. Spring steel is brittle and to much weight or over flexing causes them to snap. Oil works good to but you should reapply at least once a month and can be Very messy. All I'm sure of is that buy keeping my leaf spring lubricated they have lasted a long time. Just my experience I could be wrong. Make your own call.
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote