Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Odor

I have noticed a bad a smell from the bathroom sink at times. Today I got ambitious and looked to see if I could figure out why. The slip joint on the trap connection didn't have a washer. My kitchen sink had a leak, and it didn't have a washer either. I guess if you build a thousand rigs and save fifty cents on each, it adds up. I would hope pride in construction would override that thought process. Plastic fittings will work for a while without the gasket, but will eventually leak.

K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Also is caused by festering water in the washing machine supply lines when they are not in use. A pretty well documented cause. The water goes bad in those lines, and when the bathroom sink faucet is used, it draws some of the nasty water out of those lines because it is the closest plumbed faucet to the washing machine supply lines.

Since I will never have a washer/dryer in my rig, I just disconnected those water lines and capped them.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

Since I will never have a washer/dryer in my rig, I just disconnected those water lines and capped them.
Good idea!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

Good idea! ''
Hmm! Why didn't I think of doing that.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My washer drain goes directly to the sewer hose
Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
If you've never opened them up they shouldn't have any water in them. Even is some were pushed in by pressure, it would be pushed back out by the compressed air in the lines when you unhook to travel. Don't quite understand how this could happen unless you had a W/D and let it sit unused with untreated water in the lines.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

...Don't quite understand how this could happen...
It wouldn't seem like the washer lines should be a problem, but there are numerous folks here who have had the stench from the sink and after opening the water lines for the washer (use a hose) the smell is gone. This has nothing to do with the drain/sewer line. It is a phenomenon associated with the washer water supply lines particularly those models with the washer up front near the bathroom sink. I am not all that familiar with a 3750 but if the washer/dryer location is anywhere near to the bathroom sink, try flushing the lines. Obviously if you do have a washer, the lines are being used and the smell problem is someone where else.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey LC-- How did this thread change from a missing washer in the line under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink to a laundry washer thread
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
A good point about plugging off the WD lines. A another RVer told me of a story that happen to them. They used their WD closet for storage and something fell and hit one of the hoses and turned the faucet on and they had quite a mess by the time they realized the problem. If not using the WD you should cap them off.

Jim & Margie Bonhote
2014 Montana 3582RL
2006 Ford F350 4X4 Lariat
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I know it's not your problem, that said I have had really bad gray water smell from bathroom and kitchen sinks. I have replaced 2 of the "air vent anti siphon" devices, mounted inline. It's a safety valve, but gets stuck often. I keep two spares. Weak link in the system. FYI...
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Hey LC-- How did this thread change from a missing washer in the line under the bathroom sink and kitchen sink to a laundry washer thread
Yeah, I kind of derailed the topic. But, if the slip-fit is above the trap, which is supposed to be filled with water, how does the stink get past the water in the trap and out through the unsealed joint? Wouldn't the odor just go on up the tube and out the sink drain hole anyway? It has happened quite a few times where people thought that the stink was coming from the trap, but the culprit was that they did not have a W/D, and the W/D water supply lines were the source of the funky smell. So, I thought I would throw that out there as a possible cause of the occasional malodorous sensation to the olfactory senses that he has been having.

...and back on topic, ...yes, big companies save millions of dollars over the life of a product by cutting corners like that. In this case though, it is more likely that "Abram Yoder", the old world craftsman that assembled it, ran out of washers in his pocket, and didn't want to go get some more that were all the way over by "Elijah Graber's" work station.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

If you've never opened them up they shouldn't have any water in them. Even is some were pushed in by pressure, it would be pushed back out by the compressed air in the lines when you unhook to travel. Don't quite understand how this could happen unless you had a W/D and let it sit unused with untreated water in the lines.
It gets in there when the system is unpressurized and gravity takes over, and yes, maybe not tippy-top filled all the way to the valves in the washer cabinet, but that actually makes it worse than being completely filled with water, as there is more air in there for aerobic bacteria to use.

I imagine that it is more of a problem for people that are on untreated well water, as opposed to those using chlorinated public utility water.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have had the smell in our first Montana (3400) and opening the washer lines and draining them solved the problem. We just do it every year now and haven't had a repeat.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
The slip fit was after the trap, there was about a 1/4 inch gap in the connection. I can't figure out why I never had a wet spot under the sink. The washer has solved the odor problem. My washer does not connect to house drains, it goes straight to sewer
Old 08-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
troutbum53
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14437
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

I know it's not your problem, that said I have had really bad gray water smell from bathroom and kitchen sinks. I have replaced 2 of the "air vent anti siphon" devices, mounted inline. It's a safety valve, but gets stuck often. I keep two spares. Weak link in the system. FYI...
This last trip out we noticed an odor in the kitchen when my bride was doing the dishes. It seemed to be coming from under the cabinet area below the sink. I assume that this (air vent anti siphon) is the problem. I hope Keystone will furnish the replacement part (under warranty) and let me fix at home instead of dragging it to the dealer.
troutbum53 is offline   Reply With Quote