Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
TWO WEEKS OUT MY OH MY OH MY !!!!!!

Well sitting in Brookings,Oregon overlooking the water, and beautiful sun set. In 14 days I have manage to back over the power cord,and of course BREAK it from the monty,so off to cw in Fresno,ca. where they wanted $130 for the part and $250 to install!!!!. I took the part said I would install my self thank you. Then in Lancaster,ca. after our guts were shaken apart from highway 99,we stopped for the night started to open slider and catch stereo cabinet door and of course BREAK the door!!
Now in Brookings, My wife says honey, I think the toilet is leaking I have been wiping up water for three days.
Well sure thing toilet leaks!and no cw within 2hrs. Does anyone know of a repair place on 101 north ?
Next story How I shoot traffic cones across the road !
or the gas sign that keeps on bouncing back for more!

First time out after 18yrs!
David (bear)
PS I am sending the GOV of Calif. a bill for Damages!!!
PPS We have 3 more weeks MY OH MY OH MY!!!

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hang in there Dave! Things will get better! We all have our bad moments and it only takes a few things like you've mentioned to upset the apple cart! Just take it easy and try and relax! Things will get better as I've said previously!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sometime thats good Dave, starts out real bad, but ends up real good. Hang in there we have all experanced some kind of disasters and were still here plugging away.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We lost our transmission in Brookings, Oregon and it took 1 1/2 weeks before they finally got our truck back to us. Finished out our trip to have the transmission go out again because the dealer in Brookings didn't do it properly. Good luck in Brookings.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Sounds like you are having a great time.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Double sided Velcro to secure cabinet doors in transit and check the connections on the side of the toilet. Mine were loose when I got my rig as well. Good luck on your voyage.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Welcome to the RVing world. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
All cabinet doors secured with double sided Velcro when traveling.
Love Brookings and Gold Beach.

RV repair shops in Crescent City. CA.
Only about 25 miles away.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Hope things get better for you, the Oregon coast a beautiful area to visit.
Not sure if Coos Bay is within 2 hours north, but there are two RV dealers located there, Gib's RV, and Porter's RV.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This first part is a little off topic but since a couple mention it, here goes....

If my cabinet doors latches are adjusted correctly (a couple were not, but all are now - I checked all this kind of stuff on our third voyage after a mishap) is the hook & loop still necessary? They are on pretty good so the doors catch well and haven't concerned myself any further. When you folks mention using double-sided hook & loop, how do you use it? How is it attached? Is this used ONLY when traveling and when set up the "Velcro" is not used?

I don't travel near as much as many of you and think this might have something to do with not having any problems except for the one where DW opened the slides and didn't check that all the door were closed and ripped off one of the pantry doors. I was able to refasten the door and it only required the "toothpick trick" and it is currently very solid. In fact, I am more curious about the cabinet doors at the hinges. I have made two other toothpick repairs for hinges, but the swing out ends of the cabinet doors have been pretty solid. But again, our travel miles per destination have been no more than 550 miles (1 to 2 days tops) before setting up.

But for this topic... I wonder if it's better to have all your problems up front, then over time (hopefully you stick with it) it just keeps getting better and better. Not only will you find out the price of RVing (ugh) you'll save money over time not having to fix stuff that breaks or you break. Tremendous experience and learning come with an RV. It's very different from a stickhouse, in that the trailer goes through so many more earthquakes. Unfortunately, I have learned more during a mishap than not. I hate that.

Being the MOC will help you A LOT on what to look for, prevention before your troubles and how to solve things. Good stuff, for sure.

While you might have gotten pretty beat up on SR99, I-5 is getting pretty bad too. I remember when using I-5 was like driving on glass compared to 99. They seem to be the same now. I wonder where all the CA DMV fees are going?

How far north on the 101 do you mean? I have a computer program (TLDCN) that shows many RV service locations. PM me your location and I'll send you some addresses and their distances.

Bear, best of luck to you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When those things happen to me, I blame my wife. It does'nt solve the problems, but it gives me piece of mind knowing some one else was at fault.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
wow, my wife blames me all the time...huh! LOL
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have been on the road for three years now and we ALWAYS use the velcro AND the DW does the slides inside looking everything over as I walk around outside as she opens it up to make sure no binding or hitting anything. We did have one mishap in the kitchen one time, but watch carefully now....She knows to stop if I bang on the trailer. Hopefully, your toilet is just a loose connection. Seems like if it wasn't it wouldn't be leaking all the time. Once you get the kinks out and stop breaking things you will have a great time. There is a learning curve to overcome. One cannot prevent accidents, but CAN minimize mistakes with proper training and experience.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I watch the slides from the outside as Vickie opens and closes them from the inside. We wrap the cabinet doors with velcro straps whenever we travel. On our first trip, the flush lever for the toilet leaked a bit. I looked at it and couldn't find anything loose. It has since stopped on it's own. I think the seals just needed to get wet.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
UP DATE
Fixed toilet with J-B STICK WELD for now, thanks to all for all the help, Art big thanks to you please keep it coming.

Well we tried a road less traveled yesterday and MY OH MY, DW said let us take scenic route ,well pavement was no more, ONE lane dirt cow path it was .At some places 12% grade 4 wheel drive . for 20 miles I heard the map shows scenic route finally a place I could turn around MAYBE ! 30 Min's. later we are headed back to pavement. Did I mention low fuel warning, 20 miles back to main road at 9 miles per gal HELP dw reminded me I have two 5 gal cans in back the ones she said oh we wont need them!!!!!!!!!

Well I got on here say thanks to all (love this site)
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, would you mind sharing that scenic route so the rest of us can avoid towing it?

As for all the problems, wow, you hit the mother lode! You know, Dave, some of us spread these problems out over a period of years. But you're doing it all at once! I would think you're nearing the start of years of trouble free traveling, seeing as you've already had all the problems up front.

Maybe one little tip.... when towing, set the "avoids" on that gps to include avoiding dirt roads and u-turns!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
UP DATE #2

Well, my wonder putty did NOT work. We will be using rugs till I get to a CW to buy a new potty.
I did not have this much trouble on elk hunting parties 15 yrs ago .We have owned and gone camping in tents,pickup campers,pull trailer and a terry 5 th wheel ,we have been on back roads where we would cut our way through logs to get where we wanted to be !
GOD does have a since of humor.
As we are sitting here enjoying a sunset over the water it makes it all worth while.GOD is the great creator..

I closes with this: My LORD and SAVIOR LIVES

David and Mary
Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since yours is the same year as ours, it probably has the same Land and Sea porcelain toilet. There should be a manual with the rig that shows the connections and, if I recall, has some troubleshooting tips. If I recall, there's a plate on the back over the connections that you can remove to check for tightness. Also, the big cover below the lip of the bowl, the cover that goes clear down to around the pedal, can be just pulled off. Then you'll see the bolts holding the toilet in place. You may have one or more loose bolts. Another possibility is the wax seal. At least I think it's wax, same as in a stick home.

Good luck with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Bear, it does get better......and then bites you again. We've had our 3400 for over two years now. Art n Marge, my DW nailed the cupboard cabinet just like you had happen. It was open just a "hair", and toothpick trick worked too. Yes, it is good.....and then after being in storage for over 3 months, it's time for it's annual checkup. Check EVERYTHING over.....or so we thought. Start to back out from under cover, and CRUNCH! Well, there goes the TV antenna. Both of us are pointing fingers at each other. Funny thing, neither of us remembers putting it up. The unit was closed up until we were getting ready to take it in, but......! Old age memory loss, I guess. On the plus side, the bearings checked out good, no problems with the suspension, and 95% of the brakes are left. It's all good.......RIGHT???? First outing coming up in less than two weeks, to Memaloose State Park on the Columbia River.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
UP DATE TO THE UP DATE!

We are in Depoe Bay, at sea and sand RV park over looking the water,could not be better.
Potty not fixed yet! batteries went dead,went to sears bought battery charger.(I know it is supposed to charge Batteries! but it is not!)sewer would not flow! well, I will unhook, put in slides,drive round shake things up!!Saved !!! A MONTANA OWNER stopped by and suggested running black tank flush a bunch of times.IT WORKED!!!
Now back to a beautiful sunset,I am serving up Italian with lots of fresh garlic,fresh thin cut chicken for chicken Parmesan ,fresh Cesar salad with home made Cesar dressing, and a bottle of Italian red wine. What could be better!!!!!

Hey ,takpak
What are the dates you will be at Memaloose? we may be there the same time

GOD bless
David (bear) Swarat