Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
XFactor crossmembers

I'm considering adding Morryde XFactor crossmember(s). A dealer quote was outlandish plus they required me to pay shipping. Two questions for anyone with experience: Is one crossmember sufficient or a waste of money? and is this an addition a reasonably handy old guy can do?

boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
We are going to get them. Saw them at the virtual rally and it will be a good addition to stiffen the frame when backing or turning in tight spaces. We have to make a sharp turn when be back into our driveway and we don't like putting that much torque on the suspension. My husband will be able to easily install these himself. We are also going to get the motion lights for the steps from MorRyde and maybe the stair mod piece that will make the steps removable. Glad summer is coming.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I installed at all three points, but I made my own. Yes there is not much to installing them, IMO its a DIY project.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Last year I had Boise Spring works install 3 x-factor cross braces, a complete heavy duty shackle kit and replace both LRE shear springs on my 2011 3150RL. total labor cost was about $350.00 which I thought was very reasonable. Complete installation was done in less than 3 hours. I purchased the cross braces about $120 each, hvy duty shackle kit about $140. and shear springs about $80 each from amazon. you may not need the shear springs depending on what suspension you have. PM me if you need additional info. BTW, if I was going to do this again, I think I would only add 2 cross braces.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I also have the MorRyde LRE shear springs with the huge center "hanger brackets". Also replaced them along with new shackles, wet bolts etc and added the center X Factor brace.
Thinking I will add the other two for the ends of the leaf springs...I agree, the LRE hanger is so beefy that it would probably have been better to just add the other two.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I have the one in the middle installed and will soon do the other two. On our HC, the galley gray tank drain is in an absolutely direct line with the rear shackles and the gas line rides along the shacle for the front. Mods need to be made. If you install only one, the middle shackle and MORryde CRE/LRE rubber suspension add a lever arm and would be my choice.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisesmith View Post
I'm considering adding Morryde XFactor crossmember(s). A dealer quote was outlandish plus they required me to pay shipping. Two questions for anyone with experience: Is one crossmember sufficient or a waste of money? and is this an addition a reasonably handy old guy can do?
I'm thinkin of purchasing '' U " Channel from a metal supplier and welding these to the brackets leaving the bottom part open should i need to replace a spring bolt, I could easily place an open wrench on the inside . I like the idea I can probably get a thicker gauge , making it stronger.

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
I have installed all 3 myself. Very easy, took about 2 hours. Everything you need comes in each kit. Noticed a significant improvement in the stability first time out. This should be an easy job for most. The most difficult step might be the removal and installation of 4 new longer wet bolts.
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I'm thinkin of purchasing '' U " Channel from a metal supplier and welding these to the brackets leaving the bottom part open should i need to replace a spring bolt, I could easily place an open wrench on the inside . I like the idea I can probably get a thicker gauge , making it stronger.
As said in my previous post , I fabricated my own out of 2x2 tubing, like you I wanted to be able to get to the bolt, but I didn't weld them on . I made them with one side of the tubing notched out. Then I welded on brackets to the end of the tubes , and bolted the braces on, with that notched opening to get to the bolt. I wish I still had the fifth wheel, should of taken pictures, they worked out very well.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
I have installed all 3 myself. Very easy, took about 2 hours. Everything you need comes in each kit. Noticed a significant improvement in the stability first time out. This should be an easy job for most. The most difficult step might be the removal and installation of 4 new longer wet bolts.
When I did mine ,thats when I installed the MorRyde wet bolt kit, I copied somewhat how the X-factor braces were made, and bolted them on .
Old 03-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #11
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisesmith View Post

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
KingDaddy ... we have put a GoPro camera under the fiver while towing and found the whole I Beam flexes during a tight turn not just the LRE bracket holding the shear spring. Not to be confused with the SRE suspension. I'd guess with the added length of the LRE bracket ... it creates a longer arm for forces to act during a turn. The I Beams on our fivers are not as beefy as say the I Beams on my 35' gooseneck implement trailer. It's all about weight and money to stay in a given RV product niche.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #13
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
It would be interesting to see that video if you can post it here! I'm not surprised and agree with your assessment...that LRE hanger is boxed and quite beefy so it would be quite resistant to flex.
So then, it would be helpful to install the other two X-factor braces since the leaf spring shackle hangers on the ends are pretty puny! And, it would help strengthen the frame where it needs strengthening.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #14
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

Don`t see much point in putting just one on since you have 3 points to twist around and fail. I put the all 3 on easy peasey with just bolts/nuts and if you have to remove them to access anything under the camper you don`t really have to remove the bolts on the hangers just push the bolts back enough to drop the xfactor. Completely removing the hanger bolts would be a greasy hassle to reinstall and align.
Really don`t know if they do any good but the theory sounds like they should.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
It would be interesting to see that video if you can post it here! I'm not surprised and agree with your assessment...that LRE hanger is boxed and quite beefy so it would be quite resistant to flex.
So then, it would be helpful to install the other two X-factor braces since the leaf spring shackle hangers on the ends are pretty puny! And, it would help strengthen the frame where it needs strengthening.
This is interesting at the begining of the vidieo you can see the hanges moving back in forth then move up to 2:18 to see the frame moving around. What people need is a before and after video.

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #16
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Holy crap. I don not like the flex on those hangars at all. XFactor crossmembers are next on my list.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #17
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Don`t see much point in putting just one on since you have 3 points to twist around and fail. I put the all 3 on easy peasey with just bolts/nuts and if you have to remove them to access anything under the camper you don`t really have to remove the bolts on the hangers just push the bolts back enough to drop the xfactor. Completely removing the hanger bolts would be a greasy hassle to reinstall and align.
Really don`t know if they do any good but the theory sounds like they should.
Yeah, I agree that all three would be more helpful for sure. In fact, the two for the shackle hangers would be more helpful than the one for the equalizer hanger (at least on the LRE 4000 version). That hanger bracket is quite a bit more "stout" and the design of the LRE shear spring equalizer would be a LOT less prone to this kind of flex in the video IMO.