Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
My truck failed inspection and a first for me in over 50 years of owning a motor vehicle. Tie rod and drag link ends!! And at 'only' 132,000 miles.

Yeah, I should have done a better job of looking at these pieces but it happened. I do have Ford ESP and they are covered but the deductible is more then if I did it myself. Since with COVID and some locally pretty big case upticks, decided that since I do have the tools, have done these kinds of repairs all of my adult life, not a big thing. Just a couple hundred dollars and a few hours.

So, the message here is, get out, get under your truck and see if you too may have this situation as well. Fords start having steering parts wear out at about 85,000 miles. I can only guess that GM and Dodge/Ram are similar since none of the Big Three have grease fittings as OE
ONLY 132k. Hell Back in the day, if you could get to 100k , you did good. But for the most part, that car/truck was worn out.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #22
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Speaking of back in the day when you could actually work on your own car/truck, I remember when a tune up was filing your points and re-gapping with a matchbook cover. Wire brushing the spark plugs, re-gap, re-install. No money spent and ran like new.

Don’t forget the spare ballast resister in the glove box if you owned a mopar.

Ahhhhh, the good ole days.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #23
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
New York State has a yearly safety inspection on all vehicles registered in the state.it includes missions tests.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #24
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
The little ceramic block on the firewall. I knew it well.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #25
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Crank windows, no power steering, 4 wheel drum brakes, maybe an fm radio, all good. It was freedom.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
New York State has a yearly safety inspection on all vehicles registered in the state.it includes missions tests.
I don't understand how any of them cars in New York pass a safety inspection. We put a lot of garbage on the road here in the winter in Maryland but nothing like New York. Whatever you put on the roads up there eats Vehicles like crazy
Old 11-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Does this include the Montana?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #28
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
It's called Pure Rock Salt, they mine it just a few miles from our Summer Home Base in the Rochester/Buffalo area.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
It's called Pure Rock Salt, they mine it just a few miles from our Summer Home Base in the Rochester/Buffalo area.

Down here if you are informed you look under a used vehicle first before you buy. If it’s from somewhere there is lots of snow you can tell by the rust.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #30
Chiefcpo
Established Member

M.O.C. #12110
Come to the Philippines, no mask no face shield, no problem. You are fined $100.00 if caught out side of your house. Go to the mall get temp took, fill out tracking form, o inside one of the stores in mall, temp check, face mask, face shield, fill out tracking form again next store same thing.
You guys make me feel safe here. Over 65 under 16 not allowed out except for essentials, doctor visit, drugs and food. Glad to be restricted and not allowed to travel, when will we be allowed to return to USA, after a shot and quarantine lifted. THANK my Maker.
Chiefcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 AM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Does this include the Montana?

Trailers are supposed to have a yearly safety check as well. Tires, brakes and lights are about all that's ever checked - maybe. A lot of places wont do trailer inspections. The garage I used for an occasional repair closed up (COVID) and not sure the new owner will but his English language skills - aren't!

Diesel pickups so far don't need an emissions check. Lights, tires, glass, horn ,brakes and steering linkage which caught me by surprise. As I noted when I started this thread. Embarrassed as well as surprised me since I usually check everything over pretty well on a fairly regular basis. It was just barely out of compliance but just nearly a thousand dollars on new tires, actually pretty happy to spend another "few" bucks on DIY repairs
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #32
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Speaking of back in the day when you could actually work on your own car/truck, I remember when a tune up was filing your points and re-gapping with a matchbook cover. Wire brushing the spark plugs, re-gap, re-install. No money spent and ran like new.

Don’t forget the spare ballast resister in the glove box if you owned a mopar.

Ahhhhh, the good ole days.
Yes. Start then die as soon as you released the key.

Helped a "kid" in a British car club with a Sunbeam Alpine that had a ballast ignition. He was ready to blow it up. As soon as I saw the big ceramic block I knew exactly what it the problem was.

Also remember keys being just a formality. Hot wire to the coil, screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid, and you were on your way.

I must admit I was more comfortable in "BFE" back in the day. These days being out of cell range is a bit disconcerting.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #33
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
A yearly inspection? That's crazy. What a hassle. Sounds like a government jobs program.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #34
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
A yearly inspection? That's crazy. What a hassle. Sounds like a government jobs program.

It began about 1972 on cars plder then 3 years old and was a big $1.50 and slowly crept up to, now $21 for gas powered cars and trucks with an OBD port. A diesel powered car/pickup is $10 since it goes on an state owned OBD emissions checker. The camper is $10 and my '31 Ford street rod is $6. Garages have to pay for that state owned machine plus the stickers. Garages don't make much if any profit on an inspection. It, today is mostly a state rip off and just one more 'tax', especially on newer cars Yes, a garage found my worn tie rod ends which were just barely out of compliance. Not happy to spend the extra bucks, but glad these worn parts were found. Now I get to spend some more time waiting to get another $10 lifted out of my pocket tho the original should do it without cost but wont go back there - see my no mask post.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #35
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I'm surprised CA doesn't do this. (Not that I care now, just moved out) We have a 2013 Caddie that's never been smog checked. They made it so convenient that all you do is pay them money and avoid the hassle of an actual test.

I wonder how the Ram would pass a NY inspection. The front suspension has two recalls. One that can be "fixed" and the other has no fix yet except to weld the tie rods in place.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #36
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I'm surprised CA doesn't do this. (Not that I care now, just moved out) We have a 2013 Caddie that's never been smog checked. They made it so convenient that all you do is pay them money and avoid the hassle of an actual test.

I wonder how the Ram would pass a NY inspection. The front suspension has two recalls. One that can be "fixed" and the other has no fix yet except to weld the tie rods in place.
Yet another reason to never own a Chrysler product. The Cummings is a great engine but beyond that total junk.
Are you kidding me well the tie rods in place ?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #37
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Yet another reason to never own a Chrysler product. The Cummings is a great engine but beyond that total junk.

Even that bullet resistant CUMMINS engine has way too many emissions recalls that hurt it in other states.

A real surprise - Just saw a '17 with rotted cab corners and box wheel wells. Don't know, but it may be a snow plow truck that has been worked hard and put to bed way too wet. If so, none of the Big 3 last long

FCA sure do sell a bunch of them though.

{Dang - hijacked my own thread again }
Old 11-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #38
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Here's the straight scoop on it. Seems like there should be a better way.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #39
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That's ridiculous now you have no toe adjustment unless you cut the welds loose
Old 11-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #40
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
That's ridiculous now you have no toe adjustment unless you cut the welds loose
Agreed. I think they're taking the cheapest way out. I'm wondering if a second jamb nut behind the main one with red thread locker would be a non destructive solution.