Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2024, 09:25 AM   #1
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
RVing in South Texas?

Good day all
My wife would like to try a month in South Texas.... Donna to South Padre areas... looking at a timeframe of Jan 15-Feb 15 2025. From what I have read, seems like reservations need to be in by August.

In trying to do some research online, see a number of listings (many seem to be part of the Thousand Trails group?) but having never been there, have no idea what is good/bad/etc. Victoria Palms looks interesting from what I have seen online.

Reaching out as I am hoping part of the MOC will have some ideas, suggestions, etc.

Thanks
Bryon

(and a 2008 Honda GoldWing)
farmerbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:37 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I use campgrounds.rvlife.com for every trip. Search by state, city/state. filter by hookups, wifi, etc.
I then lists everything in the area with phone number, cost, ratings, reviews.
Good luck

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:12 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I went to our sister forum IRV2.com (you can use the same sign in credentials as you use here)..
Go to the Google search window top right (same as on this page).
Search “RGV winter campgrounds” and you will get dozens of threads to research.

I tried the same search here in the Montana forum and got lots of results also, but the first page was for thread dates from mid-2000s but are worth reading. The results from IRV2 were more current from 2019-2023. I have never winter camped down there - only a couple of summer trips and I was amazed at the number of campgrounds…thousands! It is described as Disneyworld for Gray Hairs! I sped-red thru a few threads and a few bits of good advice I saw…
1. Suggest not spending 3 months in a single campground for your first year there. Try to secure 2-3 weeks in different areas to scout the area out.
2. Also look at Corpus Christi area/Port Aransas/Rockport/Kingsville.
3. Based on my experience San Antonio is incredible with lots of nice campgrounds - but the tail end of some of those cold fronts can clip the area. It is 2 hours down I37 to Corpus and the beach. If you can’t find openings in RGV - broaden you search to include SA.
4. Many threads mention Mission, McAllen, Weslaco. Those areas are 1-2 hours from South Padre beaches. In my quick review I did not see Brownsville mentioned - so do your own research.
5. I have no idea if the on-going border issues affect RVers…do your own research.
6. You better get started!!!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:08 PM   #4
Playhouse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #34383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I went to our sister forum IRV2.com (you can use the same sign in credentials as you use here)..
I learn something new every day.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
Rnjmurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #32951
South texas

Try llano grande. Been there 12 years. If you like to do it itís there. Woodshop (largest in the valley) 14 pickle ball courts art studio quilting and the list goes on.
Rnjmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 06:37 AM   #6
bheckie123
Established Member

M.O.C. #18015
My wife and I have stayed in the Los Fresnos area for the past 9 winters. You have a bigger RV, so you might try Winter Haven in Brownsville, Palmdale RV Resort in Los Fresnos, Jet Stream RV Resort...around $700-$1000/month and all have good-sized sites. If you want to stay on South Padre Island itself, try the Isla Blanca State Park. Just to let you know that the weather this far South is normally warm, but you'll have windy conditions almost every day. Very affordable living down here too...you'll enjoy the area. Have fun! But start making your reservations NOW as these places fill up fast!
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax DRW
bheckie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 10:46 AM   #7
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbk View Post
Good day all
My wife would like to try a month in South Texas.... Donna to South Padre areas... looking at a timeframe of Jan 15-Feb 15 2025. From what I have read, seems like reservations need to be in by August.

In trying to do some research online, see a number of listings (many seem to be part of the Thousand Trails group?) but having never been there, have no idea what is good/bad/etc. Victoria Palms looks interesting from what I have seen online.

Reaching out as I am hoping part of the MOC will have some ideas, suggestions, etc.

Thanks
Bryon
We like the KOA on South Padre island. Right next to a good restaurant (walk to it). There is a fishing pier next to the restaurant where you can book a fishing trip. Its the only RV park on the island with all the perks. Level gravel sites. Nice RV park. Also, the KOA On Galveston Island.. Very nice facility. Level paved sites. Located on the west side of the island, away from all the traffic. Right across from the beach. You can drive out on the beach and set up your own spot for the day. No fees. About 15 minutes from down .town. Nice pools. One is a lazy river pool. Between the two, there is lots to see and do. Lots of RV parks around SanAntonio but be sure to check them out first. Some have permanent residents with kids and they tend to be all over the park unsupervised. Not where you want to be. Nice drive to the hill country and lots of activities all over the city. Do the mission trail. I found it very interesting and can take most of the day. This could easily fill up three weeks. Hope this helps and have fun.!!
Reservation are required to get a good site. I would do it now, not August. These places fill up quick and early.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 02:37 PM   #8
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
Thanks!!

to all of you for your responses!!!
It is sincerely appreciated.
Trying to sort through all the info with my wife.

Have a great 4th of July
bryon
Old 07-15-2024, 07:37 PM   #9
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
San Antionio?

one of the suggestions was for San Antonio, and this has my wife's interest... any suggestions for staying in/around SA?

the KOA looks nice for ease of getting around and access to transportation, but we have never been to the area. other suggestions welcome.

thanks
bryon
Old 07-15-2024, 08:00 PM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The KOA in SA is a great place to stay. It’s our favorite. I stayed there as a 7th grader when Dad took us to the 68 worlds fair and have visited maybe 50 times since. We were there in May and the place looked immaculate.

It is centrally located…easy to get to any part of SA. We have lived in Austin area since 1984. Traffic and highways suck in Austin. SAs highway system makes it easy to get around. Yes - there is a lot of traffic but it’s better than Austin. The KOA is gated with security always present. Many times we have caught the bus at the stop across the street and ventured downtown. We have stayed at sites all over the grounds and they were all nice.

In October 1998 there was a big flood that hit SA. The KOA is bordered by Salado Creek and the whole property was 5’ to 10’ under water. Most of the park structures were destroyed. They started rebuilding…new bath house…new pool…an event center/pavillion…new playground. They have done a great job building a first class facility.

There are several nice places in SA to camp…we like the KOA!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 09:59 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbk View Post
Good day all

Thanks
Bryon
I have stayed at the KOA in SanAntonio a few times. Itís a large KOA with lots of large mature trees that are kept trimmed . Large, level sites. I would recommend it. There are some places in the area I would stay away from so check them out thoroughly. The KOA is fairly close to the interstate but far enough not to get the noise. Happy trails.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 05:03 PM   #12
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
Thank you to all who replied.....

we decided for this first year to spend a short month in San Antonio at the KOA.

There were some outstanding suggestions and tips on where to look. we may take up some of those suggestions in the future. For better or worse, we thought our first winter as snowbirds.... maybe not go all the way to the RGV as it seems to be a major destination.

Cyndee and I appreciate the time and ideas from you all.
Cheers
bryon