Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
Rear Light Wiring Quetion

I have a 2008 Montana, which someone had screwed around with the rear lighting wiring. I took all the wires apart and checked them out and now I have a question regarding how to reconnect them.
I have the following wires at the rear of the trailer:
Ground-White
Right Turn-Brown
Running Lights-Green
Back-up Light-Orange
Left Turn-Red

Each Tail light has 3 bulbs"
Back-up light is a 1157 with three wires (Purple/Black/White)
Main light is a 1157 with three wires (Purple/Black/White)
Side light is a C193 with two wires (Purple/Brown)

Questions:
-Does the Purple and Black wires from the Back-up light both get connected to the Orange trailer wire?
-I am assuming that one wire from the Side light gets connected to the Green trailer wire and the other to ground?
-I am assuming that the black main light wire gets connected to the respective trailer turn wire (Red or Brown)
-Does the Purple main light wire get connected to the Green trailer wire?

If it is easier to explain, you can call me.
Thanks
Walt Johnson
(908) 240-9947

Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our rig does not have the large single light unit, but the round lights, and I just replaced them with LED units, including the backup lights, so have two red tail, brake, turn signal lights on both sides, and installed clear LED bar lights below on the hitch bar for the backup light. I discovered when doing this, that the color codes of the trailer wiring do not match the standard colors you would normally find, and even though I connected the new lights exactly as the old lights were connected, they had the two hot wires, (running and signal/brake), backward from the factory, and I had to cut and swap the wires to get the new lights working. So, the best way would be to use a test light to prove which wire powers which function, then connect them to the proper light fixture position.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Johnsonw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9830
I did check all the wires, but I was unsure about the two hots to the backup light and if I should run the running light wire to both the main and side bulb.
I ended up wiring as I listed above and everything works great.
I also added a LED light bar to each side, I wired the running light feed to the low intensity wire and the turn/stop feed to the high intensity wire. Everything works great. No diodes needed.
Johnsonw is offline   Reply With Quote