Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
A cold weather puzzle

Montana 3701 LK We a cold weather camping I know some will suggest if I move south Sorry not a option
We put water in fresh tank to use when not using city water ..So if above 34 , city water, otherwise fresh water tank
All tank heaters on ( at least the indicator light)
Use electric heater in underbelly + furnace heat keeps under area at least 45 degrees

What happened : 10 degrees, high winds Using fresh only.. wake in morning. Flush head, pump starts and won’t stop No water ...but level indicator went from full night before to now showing empty
Can’t get pressure Amazingly now all tanks show empty I’m thinking line froze, drained tank and now scre...d .
No leaks underneath . No frozen water under camper Checked bottom nothing unusual
THIS IS SECOND TIME IN AS MANY YEARS

so 3 days later, warming temps, and guess what All indicators are working, and fresh water tank shows full Lol

Pump runs fine but not turning on as trying to figure this out first

Ideas are appreciated

Rsmarlow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Sounds like the combination of cold and winds froze a water line in spite of your efforts to stay warm.

Would pull the panel in the basement in front of the furnace to make sure you are getting good furnace flow into the underbelly. You want to make sure the furnace is providing the lions share of your heat when it is that cold. If you are using your fireplace or electric heaters to take the load off the furnace you may want to reconsider that - the more the furnace runs the better.

Not sure I understand why your water tank would show full after warm-up if you had drained the tank when it had froze?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24025
Why don't you just buy a heated hose?, that way you don't have to fill your tank or disconnect.
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
I have some but not enough heated hose But I’m more concerned about the water lines in the camper do prefer to manage it that way Thank you got your suggestion
Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Good points Thank you I actually did as you said to make sure heat was being distributed
I’m thinking maybe the lines opposite wall ( on the inside ) near the pump ( not part of the heated section though ) Gould be issue

Indicators are the confusing part I did not drain the tank nor could I find any leaks , but all the indicator light changed Fresh went from 3/4 full ( before the incident) to -0- (when no water and seemed froze) to back to 3/4 full after the Warm up
Black and both gray tanks did the same

Thank you for your help
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmarlow82 View Post
Good points Thank you I actually did as you said to make sure heat was being distributed
I’m thinking maybe the lines opposite wall ( on the inside ) near the pump ( not part of the heated section though ) Gould be issue

Indicators are the confusing part I did not drain the tank nor could I find any leaks , but all the indicator light changed Fresh went from 3/4 full ( before the incident) to -0- (when no water and seemed froze) to back to 3/4 full after the Warm up
Black and both gray tanks did the same

Thank you for your help
Something I am doing for next year, using 12 volt self regulating heat trace on all water lines & pump with insulation.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Wind does not affect the true air temperature.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #8
mikeha77

M.O.C. #25487
Put small heater in belly

We have a 3820FK and live in Denver area. We had someone living in the rig all winter. At first the water lines froze and like you said, nothing worked and indicators were wonky. I went to home Depot and got a small (8" square ) under desk sort of space heater with a thermostat. i opened the storage compartment and removed the first panel, right infant of where the pump and plumbing is (behind outside convince center) and put the heater there blowing into the basement area. I also found two open holes from the outside straight into the under belly, one was for gas lines and can't remember other one. So I got some insulation and plugged those up. We had temps down to 11 degrees overnight and day still in 20's and had no further issues with plumbing freezing.
mikeha77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, freezing