Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
JCB-1

M.O.C. #25767
2020 GM Puck Mount Hitch-Need for Slider?

Quick question...Considering a B & W Companion hitch for a Chevrolet SRW short bed. I understand GM moved their pucks several inches to the rear for 5th wheel issues, and curious if anyone has seen the need for a slider considering this change (or any other issues I should consider before buying). Purchasing a 2020 Montana 3121. Many thanks in advance...Jim

JCB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Lilrube
Established Member

M.O.C. #23143
Not sure if you need it. I have the 2020 and kept my superglide slider from my 2015. Bought the demco adapter for puck system. Fits great gave me a full inch more clearance to bed rails and little more clearence to cab. Haven't towed with it yet.
Lilrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB-1 View Post
Quick question...Considering a B & W Companion hitch for a Chevrolet SRW short bed. I understand GM moved their pucks several inches to the rear for 5th wheel issues, and curious if anyone has seen the need for a slider considering this change (or any other issues I should consider before buying). Purchasing a 2020 Montana 3121. Many thanks in advance...Jim
You are correct that GM moved the pucks around. That is making the availability of some of the sliders a little bit delayed, like the PullRite.

The question of slider vs. no slider has been battered around quite a bit, and we've all took our turn at justifying one over the other.

This is my opinion, and you're free to do with this what you will:

IF I'm going to invest a slider, I want that slider to be automatic, 100% of the time. To me, the reason for buying a slider is insurance. I want that 100% insurance my 5er is not going to contact my cab.

Picture this: It's Memorial Day weekend at the lake, and you've arrived there on Friday at 6PM, and everyone and there dog is there backing into sites. You get there, and you're not in your "normal" spot, but it doesn't look that much different turning than your normal spot, and you start backing. In all of the panic of trying to do it quickly and get out of the other campers way, you decide that you do not need to spend the time to manually move the slider, since, again, it doesn't look any different than the site 3 down. In the panic of backing, you get off, and don't realize it, and you're over corrected, and your wife is yelling at you that you're about to hit a tree, and you correct the wrong way on the wheel, and BANG, the cab contacts the corner.

For anyone with an auto slider, they don't worry about this situation, because they know that they are not going to hit. I hear a lot of people say that they have a manual slider, and they never slide, and they have never needed it. I'm sure that's true. I don't know that I "need" an auto slider either, but the risk of that "one" time, is just not worth it my opinion.

If you find that you NEED a slider to get into a certain spot, make a turn in your driveway (my situation), then it makes no sense to get a manual slider. Get an auto-slider, and never worry about remembering to do anything but drive and back. With a manual slider, you'll find yourself not using it in situations, that you're fine in, and pretty soon, you become comfortable with it, and then BANG.

If, on the other hand, you know that you can ALWAYS control all of the situations that you'll end up in, and you ALWAYS know that you're going to take your time under ALL circumstances, then go with a non-slider. Forget all of that monkey motion and the mechanics.

If you look around, you'll get as many opinions as you care to get. I personally think that it comes down to your level of comfort in knowing that you can control everything. I personally don't trust myself, or probably better stated, situations that one might find themselves in, or any of the other unforseen things that happen. I want that 100% insurance, so I opt for an autoslider.

I'm sure others don't agree with this, and again, they are all opinions...
Old 02-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
LOL. I got on a tangent there, sorry, and never did answer your question.

It's not where the pucks are, it's where the pivot point is compared to the cab of your truck. That dimension MUST be over 48" (zero clearance) for you NOT to hit your cab when you are backing.

So, that means that a manufacturer could have their pivot point further back in relation to the pucks, and actually get that 48"+ dimension. However, that means that they will be behind the axle of the truck, which I believe is 42" from the back of the cab to the centerline of the axle. The center of the ball is 44" from the back of the cab, BUT the ball is 2" behind the axle on the 2020 GM's...

If you haven't seen it already, there's some good information about all of these distances in the "2020 GM/Andersen" thread...

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=79997
Old 02-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Don't worry about going off tangent. most everyone's eyes got glazed over before reaching the end
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Don't worry about going off tangent. most everyone's eyes got glazed over before reaching the end
LOL.

I'll never get over being an engineer. It's hopeless...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Another option???

I was doing some more research on this recently, and I came across the PullRite 3900. This is a conventional 5th wheel, that is 1P (single point) mounted to the gooseball.

I don't have all of the details yet, but according to PullRite's website, this centerline of the hitch is 8" behind the gooseball. On the new Chevy's that would put the distance from the cab to the pivot point at somewhere around 52-53", which is over the needed 48", if you want to always have clearance.

I am a slider fanboy for sure, and they definitely are cheap insurance. BUT, if you could get a hitch that put you in that location, and did NOT adversely affect how the truck pulled, this might be a win.

I'm going to call PullRite, and talk to them about this, to understand how they got to those dimensions...
Old 02-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
pjames32

M.O.C. #22477
2020 GM puck mount hitch-need for a slider

I have a 2020 Chevy 3500 SRW, short bed. At the time I needed my hitch BW had the ONLY solution with a MANUAL slider so that's what I have. My old Pullrite would not work. I have pulled about 4000 miles with this rig, pulling a 2016 Montana 3402 RL (39.4'). I have yet to need to pull the handle for my manual slider. I wish it was automatic like the Pullrite, but so far it has not been an issue. YMMV
pjames32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
PullRite Slider

Ditto to what CADman KS says!! We have a PullRite auto slider hitch - the only hitch we've had in over 10 years pulling our 2007 Montana 3400RL. I vever need to worry about banging the RV into the back of the truck, not that I've ever come close, but you never know when you might get close. As said before, it only takes one time to BANG and the slider has paid for itself. But it's the peace of mind I have.

Nuf said!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
DoctorO21
Established Member

M.O.C. #25477
I have a 2019 GMC 3500 with the SB. I purchased a B&W with the slider which drops right into my puck system. Works perfect. Just flip the lever and engage the trailer brakes to slide the B&W back. Never have to worry about breaking the back window. Once unhooked, just pull the lever and slide it back forward. I highly recommend it.

Kris & Sue Olsen and Maggie the golden retriever
McMinnville, Oregon
2019 GMC Denali 3500HD, 2020 Montana 3120RL
DoctorO21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
Billtam2

M.O.C. #22660
Pullrite adapter for ISR hitches

Pullrite is now selling their own adapter that mounts on the factory puck system and works with all their ISR hitches. I have a pullrite superglide slider hitch that I used with my F250 and this allows me to use it with my 2020 GMC 3500. I just received it on Wednesday, looks simple to use and is installed with no tools. It weighs 87 pounds and looks solidly built.
Billtam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtam2 View Post
Pullrite is now selling their own adapter that mounts on the factory puck system and works with all their ISR hitches. I have a pullrite superglide slider hitch that I used with my F250 and this allows me to use it with my 2020 GMC 3500. I just received it on Wednesday, looks simple to use and is installed with no tools. It weighs 87 pounds and looks solidly built.
That's good to know. When I called them about a month ago, they said they were working on that adapter, but didn't get a time frame. That thing actually weighs more than I thought it would...
Old 03-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
It is for this reason I wont own a short bed. Don't have to deal with the slider issues
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have a SB and I don't need a slider I just needed to adjust the hitch. B&W will allow you to make adjustments.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote