Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Question front landing leg broke

Hi

our front right lead landing gear leg broke down today.

Would you open it and check what can be replaced?
Or would you get a full replacement leg?

Any ideas how to jack up and secure the rig for that repair/

Thanks,
Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike-- When you say broke, what do you mean? Did it get caught on something and bend the landing gear or what? We know the make and model of your Monte but we also need to know the year. This will help us determine if it is still under warranty and what can be done to cover the damage and the unit for replacement. Please fill us in on a little more detail so we can give you accurate answers!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You don't mention what year HC you have but if it has the old style standard electric jacks there are lots of options. If you have the Level Up electric jacks then I can't help.

The old style jacks have replacement parts available as well as complete replacements. You will need to remove the leg (see below) to diagnose the problem. It could be a shear pin (easy fix) to stripped gears or shaft (a little more difficult). Venture Manufacturing (https://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-and-...-landing-gear/) used to supply Montana with landing legs and you might have them. They have all the parts you would want. But if Montana went to a different vendor for your HC, you should be able to find parts from them also.

Put a hydraulic jack on the side of the broken leg and lift the RV along with the other operable leg. Or you can use two hydraulic jacks, one on each corner, to lift the RV. Ne sure to chock the wheels to prevent any movement.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:38 AM   #4
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Mike-- When you say broke, what do you mean? Did it get caught on something and bend the landing gear or what? We know the make and model of your Monte but we also need to know the year. This will help us determine if it is still under warranty and what can be done to cover the damage and the unit for replacement. Please fill us in on a little more detail so we can give you accurate answers!
Hi Rondo,

its a 2017/2018 model year and I did not hit a thing with it.
when engaging the motor basically snaps through and the leg does not move.
I tried also the motor from the driver side and its the same.
So I think the motor is OK.
When I jack up the Monte the leg is hangin in there loose.
So I think something inside broke and gave up.

Mike

Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 AM   #5
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
You don't mention what year HC you have but if it has the old style standard electric jacks there are lots of options. If you have the Level Up electric jacks then I can't help.

The old style jacks have replacement parts available as well as complete replacements. You will need to remove the leg (see below) to diagnose the problem. It could be a shear pin (easy fix) to stripped gears or shaft (a little more difficult). Venture Manufacturing (https://www.venturemfgco.com/rv-and-...-landing-gear/) used to supply Montana with landing legs and you might have them. They have all the parts you would want. But if Montana went to a different vendor for your HC, you should be able to find parts from them also.

Put a hydraulic jack on the side of the broken leg and lift the RV along with the other operable leg. Or you can use two hydraulic jacks, one on each corner, to lift the RV. Ne sure to chock the wheels to prevent any movement.
Hi Carl,

its 2017/2018 model year.
It is a individual leg as in the picture.

I did exchange the motors from driver to passenger side and there is the same snapping through sound.

It seems to me something inside broke and the rest of the leg is OK.

But I can not find on lipperts pages or on google any exploit drawing to understand the leg's build.
Also if its possible to get inside and fix it or not.

I can only find a complete leg for $400. But I think I buy a lot of parts which I won't need if I could fix the inside.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lc305340_2_1000.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	8601  

Old 03-04-2021, 05:44 AM   #6
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Is there a shear pin in the mechanism someplace that has sheared and needs to be replaced? Not familiar with how these work...
Old 03-04-2021, 05:44 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Check out the Lippert Master owners Manual for Leveling and Stabilizing: PDF - Click here. See if there is anything in the manual that will help.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
As to the original question, I would open up the leg and inspect for damage, it could be something simple. What do you have to loose? A hydraulic bottle jack will easily lift one corner, I assume the opposing jack is still functioning. I would think a heavy duty jack stand would support that one corner of the trailer.