Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Montana 3120rs factory inverter ?

From all my reading-research it looks like my ordered 3120 Montana will have a progressive dynamics lead-agm converter to charge the batteries. I also believe going to Li battleborns will require replacing the converter to a: Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger - 60 Amp

Anyone switched to Lithium and done this so shore power ( mostly a honda generator) can charge the battleborns?

Anyone know if the option I ordered, Solarflex, will change the house converter to be able to charge Lithiums?

Thank you

Allen

hemiallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
From all my reading-research it looks like my ordered 3120 Montana will have a progressive dynamics lead-agm converter to charge the batteries. I also believe going to Li battleborns will require replacing the converter to a: Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger - 60 Amp

Anyone switched to Lithium and done this so shore power ( mostly a honda generator) can charge the battleborns?

Anyone know if the option I ordered, Solarflex, will change the house converter to be able to charge Lithiums?

Thank you

Allen
All new Montana's and High Country's are standard with lithium ready converters.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thank you very much.

Sounds like I can get the batteries before delivery VS having another mod/ cost for the Li system.

Love the Willies, is that a woodie? And a 39 chevy in the background?

Allen
Old 03-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #4
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Thank you very much.

Sounds like I can get the batteries before delivery VS having another mod/ cost for the Li system.

Love the Willies, is that a woodie? And a 39 chevy in the background?

Allen
No. That's an even coat of surface rust from Alpine, AZ. When I got it had a 1968 license plate and hadn't run since 1971. '39 Ford in the background.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
I put in a battle borne battery. I have a 2021 3120 I just picked up in January. I ordered it with the solar flex package. I changed the setting on my solar charge controller to lithium. I cannot for the life of me find the dip switch or other means to change my charge converter from lead acid to lithium. Can anyone describe in detail exactly where it is. A picture would be quite welcome. I look online and get general descriptions at best.
Katherine1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #6
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...000-PD4500.pdf
Old 03-03-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Thank you so much. That's exactly the help I needed.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
I just got my 2021 3120 legacy. It comes with the progressive dynamics converter that has the dip switch to set it up for lithium. I have a battleborne battery I put in. The jaboni mppt solar charge controller is set up for lead acid so you will need to adjust the setting to lithium on that as well. Now be careful when putting in the new battery. I did not pay attention to the wires. When they installed my battery in my battery box inside the box they reversed the red and black wires. I assumed they were correct so I did not follow the wires down to the box. Caused me loads and loads of fun. There is a 30 amp fuse behind the battery box that blew do to hooking up the battery reversed. Then today I tried to hitch up. Found no power to my hydraulic system controls. More head scratching. Found another 10 amp fuse back by the hydraulic system blown. So as I said just double check your battery wires. Don't assume . Goodluck and congratulations on the new rig.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #9
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thank you for the information, and sorry about the bad experience. I will be sure to check the wiring before installing the Lithiums. Looks like you are close by, did you get yours from Napa? And Congratulations back atcha, envious.

Post some images when you can, still antsy for more information, lol. And curious how your single will work out, I keep seeing one is like 3-5 wet batteries, depending on who comments.

I believe from reading you can add another 210 W panel before upgrading the system Matt's designed into the solarflex.

Thanks Neighbor

Allen

PS, Rio Viento is a nice destination to try her out.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Question: Do you feel you have room for 2 battleborns in the battery tray? I assume so, but with the disc brake booster pictures I have seen it looks like it is located possibly in the way of the battery's storage space. I doubt they would have it interfere with 2 batteries, but you never know.

I am also considering the new Gamechanger 270AH which is 22.8" long, 7" wide and 13.2" tall. I am thinking there is room, down the road to add more batteries if the Gamechanger is mounted standing on it's end, but 90% sure I won't want to upgrade the rest of the Solarflex's charger and inverter to take advantage of more than ~ 300AH. My trailer will have the Gen prep, so I believe the factory battery location might be smaller due to the added wall between the battery bay and the generator/ storage front bay. I think the Gamechanger is best for space vs buying 2-100AH batteries and down the road trying to add a third 100AH battery.

Thanks for any dimension help

Allen
Old 03-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #11
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
I measured approximately 24 by 18 of usable area if you take out the bottery box. Not too sure if 2 battle bornes would fit inside the battery box. Lid don't move too easy. You don't need any venting with the lithium so you could get rid of the box if you like. I have the generator in mine and don't see any issue with room for what you want as far as batteries. You only need a bit of imagination on storage within the battery and hydraulics compartment. I will do more as time goes by. Only taking our first camping trip to corpus christi in april
Old 03-10-2021, 06:24 PM   #12
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thank you very much for measuring the area for me.

Can't wait for your impressions on the solarflex and single battery, for us dry camping is a big part of our camping, and replacing the Rockwood's 4- 6v batteries will be, hopefully, a nice reduction in generator run time. But I do expect a higher battery load with all the new devices I can run w/o the need of firing up the generator.

I assume you got the factory installed 5.5 gen, hoping your propane use isn't the hinderance it would be for us, from my research.

Have a safe trip

Allen
Old 03-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Well as this first trip will begin our learning as we go we wont be using the generator much. I hope to get into boondocking once we have come to know more about our camper and the various ways we will need to conserve utilities when camping. I am doing research on what's the normal function of my generator. Since I had the battery issue when we first got it. Don't know if it caused more issues with my electrical than I realize. Perhaps you know or could give me an idea. I thought if not hooked to shore power that when you started the generator it automatically provided power. My indicator lights do not come on for that . So apparently the transfer switch does not switch over. Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #14
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
No trailer yet, but from watching all of Matt's video's on what he is supplying for the solar, I believe the status panel for the surge protector in the cabinet above the coffee countertop facing the island, is that what you don't see light up? I believe it indicates a surge, and potential need to reset (?) the protector. I recall the need to get to the grey protector box to reset it, if memory serves. I think it's behind the wall next to the In Command control center.

Hope that helps.

Allen
Old 03-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #15
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
On most transfer switches the generator is the primary. If you're on shore and start the generator, the transfer switch will default to the generator. If both are off and you plug into shore, someone near the xfer switch should be able to hear it latch. You may have had the transfer switch take a surge.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #16
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
your transfer switch comment makes me ask another question. My 3120 is Gen prepped due to the legacy package, but I am not going onan due to it's propane consumption issues for my travels. If my single solar ( solarflex) doesn't charge my ~ planned 200AH Lithiums( maybe 270 or 300ah) and I use my honda 2200 to top them off, should I utilize the transfer switch's wiring to feed the charging system, or use the 120v dropped down main shore power chord?

Thank you

Allen
Old 03-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #17
Katherine1962
Established Member

M.O.C. #27099
Quote:
your transfer switch comment makes me ask another question. My 3120 is Gen prepped due to the legacy package, but I am not going onan due to it's propane consumption issues for my travels. If my single solar ( solarflex) doesn't charge my ~ planned 200AH Lithiums( maybe 270 or 300ah) and I use my honda 2200 to top them off, should I utilize the transfer switch's wiring to feed the charging system, or use the 120v dropped down main shore power chord?

Thank you

Allen
I found there are 4 25 amp reverse battery protection fuses that had also blown. They are in the power panel inside the camper. I also had to reset the breakers inside my generator box. Turned out that was this issue not the transfer switch. So a total of 1 30 amp fuse 1 20 amp fuse both in the battery box area and 4 25 amp fuses in the power panel as well as having to reset the generator breakers inside the generator casing. That covered all the issues from hooking the battery up reversed. Learn from my mistake. I assumed the battery leads were correct. They reversed them inside the battery box. Relatively cheap fix 30 bucks for box of fuses. Time working on it. And wealth of knowledge to tuck away.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #18
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Question: Do you feel you have room for 2 battleborns in the battery tray? I assume so, but with the disc brake booster pictures I have seen it looks like it is located possibly in the way of the battery's storage space. I doubt they would have it interfere with 2 batteries, but you never know.

I am also considering the new Gamechanger 270AH which is 22.8" long, 7" wide and 13.2" tall. I am thinking there is room, down the road to add more batteries if the Gamechanger is mounted standing on it's end, but 90% sure I won't want to upgrade the rest of the Solarflex's charger and inverter to take advantage of more than ~ 300AH. My trailer will have the Gen prep, so I believe the factory battery location might be smaller due to the added wall between the battery bay and the generator/ storage front bay. I think the Gamechanger is best for space vs buying 2-100AH batteries and down the road trying to add a third 100AH battery.

Thanks for any dimension help

Allen
Are you planning on installing an onboard genset or going with a portable one? if portable... you can always remove the shroud of gen prep to make more room. Only caveat is if you decide to remove it you won't be able to put it back in. Cutting it up is involved. I am considering this for my own solar install.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:

Thank you

Allen
If going with portable you really don't need the OEM ATS. JUst plug in your shore power cord(with adapter) to the generator. Alternately, you could use the generator leg of the ATS to install a second power port elsewhere on your RV. I'm considering putting on the front next to the grep prepped bay so I can plug in a portable genset positioned in the truck bed for travel days when I want to run the rig A/C on hot days. Also since I keep the genset in the truck bed it is easier to get to it by just leaving it there, plugging in a 10' 30amp cord from the the RV front to the in bed genset (when parked). Remote start... Bammm! NO hauling to the 50 amp OEM power, unhooking the shore power etc.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #20
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thanks
Yes, a honda 2200i generator that I put in the pickup and move under the trailer near the shore power cord to supply power, before I had an inverter option, like the Montana will have.

Yes, the gen prep is a legacy option I would eliminate if possible, it seems to reduce storage a bunch. I even would eliminate the in-command if I could, but the package seems a good buy, right now. I am prepared to run manual switches to the in-command cabinet for like the water pump, its so much faster to push a switch to turn on the water pump than logging in, I suspect.

And yes, the bay as I understand is wide enough to place the 270 Battleborn sideways, but not deep enough to be parallel to the rig. And on the one I saw, the brake master isn't taking away the battery bay's floor space, its above the drop down section.

Allen