Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
best tow coverage

So, we have come to find out that my trailer insurance will not cover more then 100.00 period through State Farm. I am going to have a huge battle on my hands trying to get reimbursed for the crazy tow bill of 1000.00 last week. Who offers the best coverage in this situation. I need to change my horse trailer and place the montana under different insurance also. At this point I am not comfortable traveling anywhere with either trailer.

jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Most RV policies offer limited or UCR (reasonable and thus unlimited) towing coverage. You should shop and compare. I have posted before that it is not a good idea to insure an RV on an auto policy. This is just one of many reasons.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We and many others use Good Sam ERS (Emergency Road Service. My experience has been extremely positive. $79/yr and my wife and car are even covered.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
Do you also have the trailer insured through Good Sam? Can you also do that? I'm hoping they will cover my horse trailer also.
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We use AAA. We have had it for years. Have had to use it several times for the trailer. So far so good.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use Coach net...via Escapee's for a discount. Insurance coverage varies state to state..We are insured through our Home owners Insurance for the camper and contents.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Agree with Rich about Coachnet. However, we did have Camping Worlds ERS and it was very good also. Most of them are reasonably priced. I'm not sure whether or not AAA will tow your fifth wheel, but all of the other ones, Coachnet, Good Sam and Camping World's ERS will.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,
Triple A does have an RV coverage plan. That is why we have them. If they didn't cover my RV I wouldn't have them. Interestingly we do not use them for our auto insurance. Actually I only use them for their roadside services for both our autos and RV.

To 'tow' your trailer they use 'low boy' type trailers.

We've used them in Canada and all other states where we've needed them.

But we keep our eyes open for other outfits that will provide the services we need. So if AAA keeps uping their rates we will go with one of the other outfits.

Dennis
Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Thanks Hamrad. I didn't know that. I only know that before we went full time we were with AAA. They told me they wouldn't tow 5th wheel RVs. That's why we changed. They've obviously changed since 2000.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,

Don't know about them changing their policy regarding towing RVs. We've had AAA for over 25 years.

A few years back they did change how they charged for their RV rates. Since we have been with them for so many years we decided to try them for a year. We found that they have a very good organization. No matter where we've found ourselves they were able to provide the required services. So we will stay with them until their rates drive us away or if they fail to provide the required services.

They really have a first class customer satisfaction policy. They find you. They follow up to make sure services were delivered. In our experience with them they have gone "above and beyond" to provide whatever we required.

Best thing is we just give them our card and NEVER any money. Very nice.

I think any of the major companies listed in the various responses would provide a customer with a good sense of security.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
AAA varies State To State in RV Coverage, Example..In PA they did cover the Rv, In Ohio they did not.Don't know if that ever changed or not.. If you have AAA I would call the office in you State and make sure you are covered..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have Good Sams and Coachnet. Coachnet was free for one year when we got the 2010 5er we have had Good Sams for several years but haven't used the towing service, but have used them to change a tire on the Truck, very efficent. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
We use Good Sam Emergency Road Service, no complaints. We were in Yuma on a Friday nite when lift pump quit,tow truck towed us to park that nite came back next am and took us to dealers lot. Two seperate tows, my cost Zero. I am happy.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The good thing about Coach-Net is that they cover all your vehicles and your RV and all drivers for the one price. Others may also do this, but AAA did not when I had them. Coach-Net does not abuse your mail box with endless ads.

We decline the tow coverage on the auto and RV insurance policies.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I don't know what it is about AAA but seems like they have a PR or communications problem. I have their tow coverage for all of our vehicles. One price covers all. The nice thing about their coverage is that regardless of what vehicle you are in you are covered. So if I was riding with someone who had no coverage I could call AAA and they would come out and tow us and treat as if it were my own vehicle.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to using any particular insurance I'm just trying to understand why there seems to be such a diversity of information regarding AAA. According to much info that has been posted I don't have any coverage whatsoever with my AAA. Sure glad that the insurance company does not read this! And please don't anyone call them and tell on me!

Just make sure you get some sort of reliable tow insurance. It will make your life much easier...... at least it has given us a lot of security.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All information I post about AAA is due to my personal experience with the company. So glad you are getting the service you want, but I did not with the AAA Texas policy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
AAA does cover 5th wheels. Our friends caught on fire in Florida last year. They sent a hudge frieghliner in and towed it at no cost to them to Lazy Days. We have Good Sams though have never had to use them and never will I hope.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote