Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thinking about leasing a site for first time in 20 years

Well things could be changing for us in how we use the Montana. For many years we pay a monthly rate for the summers at our favorite camping spot. The CG is changing dramatically over the last five years. Seems like every RV has multiple ATV's I've seen anywhere from 2 to 10 at a given site. I have nothing against this activity but it is not for us. There use is really tearing the CG up from abuse of them in the park. The sites are rather close together and when you get the wrong people next to you it ruins the camping experience.

Right down the road is a relatively new RV park. Huge sites, a list of rules and regulations that the wife and I have no problems with.

Looking for some advice from members who lease or have leased a site at a CG.

Rental fee for the 12 moths is $2500, one years term. Just have to pay for metered electricity. Your trailer can be left there all year long or you can move it out as you need to.

The wife and I are making a list of pros and cons to doing this. Any advice or experienced from the group would be appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Wow! Sounds like you're staying where we are here in FL only it's not that bad and the new park up the road doesn't do year long leases....and least not for $2500! Others will have their opinions but we pay that much for the 5 months we stay here. Any other times we would come and go would be additional.

To my thinking, if you like the place and you stay there long enough the $2500 could be a bargain. If not, it probably wouldn't be. I will say if my daughter and grandgirls didn't live down here we wouldn't be staying 5 months.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If you are not sure about the place you might consider renting a spot for a couple of weeks to check it out.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
We have leased our site in North Carolina with lifetime rights for as long as we live here with a minimum of 15 years. We have a very nice spot with a storage shed included in the deal. To make the wife happy I had to have a permanent address somewhere.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The last couple of years we have been leasing/renting a space in a 55 and over resort near Phoenix, and we would be thrilled at only paying $2500 a year for our spot. We could stay all year, but just don't because it gets a bit too hot there in the summer. If you really like the area and the park, I'd say go for it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We own a lease in an Escapee Park in Lakewood, NM and we own a corner lot in a small town in Kansas that we have turned into a two rig RV park. In this time, having places we own and can always count on having a place and being able to stay or go as we please is worth way more to us than we paid to get it done.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:33 AM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Here in Florida we were in a 3 year lease at a sun resorts park. The monthly rent on the lease was 500 dollars. compare to 700 dollars month to month. Electric is extra. We now own a lot in an hoa 2 miles down the road after our 3 year lease was up. Pros for rent is you can leave after your lease is up as peoples choices change. Con is you are just throwing money away as you are with any rent. We bought and now have equity in our property, the hoa is 175 per month, tax is 600 year and anything we do to that lot comes back as property improvements. We bought the lot 3years ago for 30000 dollars and now these lots are going for 60000 plus. we have a win win. only back draw is you need cash as here in Florida banks do not loan on vacant property unless you are contingent on building a home on that lot in x amount of time.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #8
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
We bought a lot in an RV "Resort" last year for 40K here in Florida. Its 55+ and I am telling you that we love it. In Florida you almost have to own to be sure of having a spot that you like in the winter but Jeannette and I really wanted a home for 5 months of the year here where we have family. The rules are actually great if your not the guy with the loud toys or late night parties, I give it 5 stars.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #9
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
We have a annual site in Longs SC right outside Myrtle Beach. The site is about 80x60 and diagonal to your neighbors. Plenty of trees paved pull through sites and has access to a 50 acre lake and a swimming pool
We consider this place a jewel
Old 07-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank64 View Post
We have a annual site in Longs SC right outside Myrtle Beach. The site is about 80x60 and diagonal to your neighbors. Plenty of trees paved pull through sites and has access to a 50 acre lake and a swimming pool
We consider this place a jewel
Sounds great and I like your thinking!
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the property meets your needs 2500 per year is very inexpensive. We leased a lot in a HOA park in Florida for a few years then purchased a lot in the same HOA a couple of years ago because the price was right.

We spend the winter in Florida and drive the 5th wheel down and back. We do have the option to rent the lot out during the summer months if we choose.

Our travel has changed from being all over the country to essentially 6 months North in the summer and 6 months south in the winter. We will probably put a single wide on the lot or leave the 5th wheel. It never made sense to purchase a lot anywhere as we were never in one place for a long time during the winter months. We do keep a Domicile S&B up North.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I owned, not leased a site in Florida for many years but with new people replacing the original owners, the site rules became onerous and I finally sold it to another miserable person that thought those rules were great. We now do a seasonal, May through October in a small, 54 site CG along Lake Champlain in the Adirondack Park. The rules are reasonable, the owner keeps things run well and the price for 6 months is a bit less then $1700 plus another $75 if you leave the RV over the 6 month winter which I don't We have been doing this for about 10 years now. We now have the CGs best site (seniority sometimes counts) and the only one with a full lake view.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
Donsantell

M.O.C. #25423
Where is this CG and what is the name of it please? Sounds like a great place.
Donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
Donsantell

M.O.C. #25423
Where is this CG in upstate NY. We are in Lake George and are paying over $1000/month No seasonal rate on the lot we want so we are paying daily.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsantell View Post
Where is this CG in upstate NY. We are in Lake George and are paying over $1000/month No seasonal rate on the lot we want so we are paying daily.

Westport, NY. Barber Homestead Park, Northway i87 Exit 31: https://barberhomesteadpark.com/

IMO, Lake George, NY149 CGs are not for the faint of heart
Old 07-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Westport, NY. Barber Homestead Park, Northway i87 Exit 31: https://barberhomesteadpark.com/

IMO, Lake George, NY149 CGs are not for the faint of heart
Why do you say “Not for the faint of heart?”
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
Why do you say “Not for the faint of heart?”

It's fine - if you like constant movement, noise and wandering people along with the constant outlet store and LG crowds. If that's your bag, that's fine. We have stayed at a couple of the Rt149 CGs, they just are not for us.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Here in Alabama we started looking at permanent sites.
These were both purchase lots, one was a small new place with a small community room and pool, $89K
HOA $175 p/ mo metered electric. Excellent location 6 miles to Gulf Shores
The other lots ran mid 50’s to over $100 very nice , lake, pool, community rooms, trails HOA $225 p/mo and metered electric. This one’s about 20 miles to Gulf Shores very rural.
Both were deed lots so real estate tax on top.
Both allow lots to be rented through their programs at 30/70 split.
Anyone bought into anything like this?
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #19
Donsantell

M.O.C. #25423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
It's fine - if you like constant movement, noise and wandering people along with the constant outlet store and LG crowds. If that's your bag, that's fine. We have stayed at a couple of the Rt149 CGs, they just are not for us.

We are just off of Exit 23 of I87. When you exit turn left towards Warrensburg. At the light turn right and 200 yds past McDonalds is the entrance to the Lake George Riverview Campground. Very nice quiet campground. The past 2 years they have added quite a few new sites. Next year they will have a new swimming pool and some more sites. Not at all like out on RT 149. We like it here but to be on the site we want they will only lease it at the daily rate. Costs us over $4,000. For 3.5 months But free electric.. Needless to say it is very cool inside our camper. Stay 7 nights get 1 free. Great location about 3 miles to Lake George on the Schroon River, Price Chopper Grocery store across the street and several good restaurants in Warrensbutg, Lake George and Bolton Landing. Just not happy with the pricing.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsantell View Post

We are just off of Exit 23 of I87. When you exit turn left towards Warrensburg. At the light turn right and 200 yds past McDonalds is the entrance to the Lake George Riverview Campground. Very nice quiet campground. The past 2 years they have added quite a few new sites. Next year they will have a new swimming pool and some more sites. Not at all like out on RT 149. We like it here but to be on the site we want they will only lease it at the daily rate. Costs us over $4,000. For 3.5 months But free electric.. Needless to say it is very cool inside our camper. Stay 7 nights get 1 free. Great location about 3 miles to Lake George on the Schroon River, Price Chopper Grocery store across the street and several good restaurants in Warrensbutg, Lake George and Bolton Landing. Just not happy with the pricing.

That's Warresburg and a bunch different then Lake George and the Rt 149 mess. We have stayed there - a decent CG but a bit bigger and busier then where we are doing our seasonal. Also, the CG where we are has the stay 7, get one free. We as seasonals, do pay for electricty at the normal NYSEG rate which in the past years varies a bit, now at 14 cents/kwh. Our bill for two months was about 90 bucks which includes leaving the a/c on all the time at 88 degrees when not there. The big negative for our CG is no McDonald's or Price Chopper/Hannaford unless you drive to Lake Placid, Ticonderoga or Plattsburg but you bring what you need or take a wander. Look at the link posted above - weekly/monthly at Barber CG is a bit more reasonable but I did notice it has climbed a bit (NY State/Essex County/town/ADK taxes and fees are always escalating ).

If you are in a nicely developed NY State privateCG and in the Adirondack Park, it it is not going to be cheap nor is there any boondocking to my knowledge