Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
shocks

Hi we have a 2019 374fl highcountry. Iam wondering if its worth putting a set of shocks on this unit. I do see it bouncing a bit in my mirrors . I do have new sailun tires which made it ride a little better. Sorry cant remember which suspension I have . trailer is now stored

vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Most if not all aftermarket shock have to mount at such a severe angle they do little to nothing. The best suspension upgrade will be the Mor ryde IS if you can stomach the price. There is a shock at each wheel which is mounted vertical.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
RK & Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21545
I agree to go with IS. Last year at the Western Region rally at Coos Bay is was recommended I go with slipper springs and shocks plus disk brakes which were installed at the national rally. Disk breaks are great but slipper springs and shocks a waste of money. Will go with IS in the future.
RK & Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Being a self described "recreational camper" I truly believe IS is a bit over kill for my needs ... however I will say if full timing it would be worth looking in to. If you do a search on the MOC for "shocks" you'll find the subject has been cussed and discussed several separate times as years and new members roll along. Like said ... shocks have to be mounted at such an angle on a standard Lippert frame that they are pretty useless as they may only compress 1.5" at best on a major bump. If you are dead set on trying them you might look at brands called "Joy Rider" or "Roadmaster" that empty your wallet, but allow the shocks to be mounted in a much lesser angle.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Being a self described "recreational camper" I truly believe IS is a bit over kill for my needs ... however I will say if full timing it would be worth looking in to. If you do a search on the MOC for "shocks" you'll find the subject has been cussed and discussed several separate times as years and new members roll along. Like said ... shocks have to be mounted at such an angle on a standard Lippert frame that they are pretty useless as they may only compress 1.5" at best on a major bump. If you are dead set on trying them you might look at brands called "Joy Rider" or "Roadmaster" that empty your wallet, but allow the shocks to be mounted in a much lesser angle.
I agree with your statement about recreational camping versus full timing however it also makes sense for anyone who is going to keep their camper for a long time. I have no desire to ever get another one. So trying to make the best of what I have.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:25 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Shocks that work correctly will be very difficlt to install. I looked into installing them on our 343RL and the angle instead of being near verticle are at something like 30 degrees off of HORIZONTAL. There is a company that claims to have solved that angle, and there are some You Tube videos that shows the installation. I'm a bit skeptical but it is worth a look :

If your HC has the MORryde CRE 3000, you can upgrade to one of their higher levels. You might also consider uprating the suspension to 8K by changing springs. That 42 foot RV starts out at about 13K and has a GVW of close to 16K so there is a lot of lever action to wiggle that weight.

Of course IS would be the optimum but is not an inexpensive mod
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I put a set of shocks on a 27 foot fiver and couldn’t tell any difference in it. You have a set of small shocks trying to control a 10,000 pound camper that are set on an angle that inhibits their efficiency. They can’t do much.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I had shocks installed on my old Vanguard at the factory. Not the best shocks and not much if any improvement over no shocks. This is just my opinion, if I really want good results I would have the independent suspension system installed on my 3160.

Tom Marty
Old 10-27-2020, 05:38 AM   #9
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I just noticed I have road armour suspension. From what I have seen there pretty good. I think joy rider shocks would help
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
According to Keystone, Lippert and the MorRyde rep, the Road Armor is a small step below IS as far as absorbing the shock and length of travel of the axle. Our 2019 came with the Road Armor and it is pretty good for a leaf spring suspension.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
According to Keystone, Lippert and the MorRyde rep, the Road Armor is a small step below IS as far as absorbing the shock and length of travel of the axle. Our 2019 came with the Road Armor and it is pretty good for a leaf spring suspension.
I am wondering how the Road Armor compares to the Comfort Ride suspension that I have on mine with the joyride shocks. The Comfort ride is a slipper spring suspension ,so where they meet in the middle they float so to speak. That along with disc brakes makes for are a nice towing trailer.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
I’m glad this post came up. I am planning on swinging through Goshen IN next year and getting my suspension and brakes upgraded on my 2019 373RD. I know this has been talked about in many posts but if someone could please tell me just exactly what I am going to want installed so I can do the research and planning. Your help will very much be appreciated but please do not let this post turn into a heated debate/discussion like my new tires post. Have a great day.
Sdexte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
I’m glad this post came up. I am planning on swinging through Goshen IN next year and getting my suspension and brakes upgraded on my 2019 373RD. I know this has been talked about in many posts but if someone could please tell me just exactly what I am going to want installed so I can do the research and planning. Your help will very much be appreciated but please do not let this post turn into a heated debate/discussion like my new tires post. Have a great day.
I am not a full timer , and have had great luck with just basically the standard leaf spring suspension , although this Comfort ride, with shocks is a slight upgrade from a standard leaf spring setup like yours .

The least I would do would definitely go disc brakes,IMO the single best upgrade there is on these bigger fifth wheels. As far as IS suspension you certainly can't wrong. I keep reading one of the reasons for IS is all the problems someone has had with the standard suspension. Never having been in that camp, I have never had that decision to make.

I have done some slight modifications to my suspensions , and have been happy with leaf spring suspension.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
You'll definitely get a dozen different opinions here. In my opinion if you want the absolute best get the morryde independent suspension and disc brakes. Those who State they haven't had any problems with the original suspension have been lucky and it's only a matter of time before they do. Hopefully that doesn't happen going down the backside of a 10% grade Mountain
Old 10-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You'll definitely get a dozen different opinions here. In my opinion if you want the absolute best get the morryde independent suspension and disc brakes. Those who State they haven't had any problems with the original suspension have been lucky and it's only a matter of time before they do. Hopefully that doesn't happen going down the backside of a 10% grade Mountain

I guess I have been lucky for the past 50 years with leaf springs, but we have discussed this before . Leaf springs will last a long time if done right . Will they eventually need to be rearched at some point ,possibly , or just add a leaf to begin with , the list goes on . I know you are convinced because you had issues , and there is no prevention . We disagree
Old 10-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I guess I have been lucky for the past 50 years with leaf springs, but we have discussed this before . Leaf springs will last a long time if done right . Will they eventually need to be rearched at some point ,possibly , or just add a leaf to begin with , the list goes on . I know you are convinced because you had issues , and there is no prevention . We disagree
No need to hide under the chair. Lol We all have strong opinions about this that and the other. Disagreeing is okay that's what makes this country so great. We have many choices. Just trying to let those not in the know to know what is available out there.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Beeje ... we're usually sitting at the same table on many topics here on the MOC, but I'll have to side with PSFORD99 on the suspension deal. I've had some fashion of a TT or fiver since 96 and other than some bronze bushings which I figure are normal wear items and replacing a couple of shear springs on my LRE4000 configuration, I've not had any issue with the OEM leaf spring setup ... ever. Like you said everyone's mileage differs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Beeje ... we're usually sitting at the same table on many topics here on the MOC, but I'll have to side with PSFORD99 on the suspension deal. I've had some fashion of a TT or fiver since 96 and other than some bronze bushings which I figure are normal wear items and replacing a couple of shear springs on my LRE4000 configuration, I've not had any issue with the OEM leaf spring setup ... ever. Like you said everyone's mileage differs.
Yeah it's it's somewhat like what's better Chevy Ford or Dodge and which is the best hitch. Then there's which Tire should I go with. Or should I buy a 3/4 ton 1-ton single rear wheel or 1 ton dual rear wheel truck it's never ending. And it will never end until we all stop creating these threads and or responding to them. Lol
Old 10-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #19
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Too true!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote