Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Introducing myself

Hi all, I'm Eric and my wife and I are researching RVs for a purchase in the next couple years (yes, I research early!). At first we thought we'd probably purchase a class A RV, but the more I think about it, the more I think a 5th wheel might be best for us.

I'm loving the floor plan of the Montana High Country 345RL. Some of the items that catch my eye are: Coat closet; bench in master; outside kitchen (neither of us are chefs, but I can see where that would be convenient); washer and dryer prep; and more.

The Alpine also has some interesting configurations. It will just be my wife and me, and we're planning to full-time (we're both self-employed now, and we're planning to sell our house and live in an RV for at least a year) for a while before purchasing a small house and spending a lot of time seeing the country.

I've never driven an RV. I have driven a moving truck pulling a car (I think the truck was 24'), and that was a little stressful to begin with but I got more comfortable rapidly, even though it was only a 12 hour drive.

How do you guys like the High Country, and perhaps the 345RL in particular? Thanks for welcoming me to your group, even though I'm not an owner yet.

EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
A big welcome from Arizona. I like the 5th wheel because of the floor plans and the ability to have the truck to use when unhooked. Remember with a motor home you need to pull a car and there is just no way to back up. Unless the car is on a trailer. And that would be a pain. Have to unload the car from the trailer then unhook the trailer from the MH every time you want to use the car. But that's JMHO.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome and enjoy this great forum. We are on our 3rd Montana and have not had a problem with either one. There is no perfect RV. I have owned motor homes trailers and fifth wheels. Each has it's + and - . Pulling a 5th wheel has been the best for me.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Montana is a good rv. We enjoyed ours.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! We chose the Montana over a Class A because we wanted more room (we full-time) and we didn't want the drive train to be a part of our house. When a class A breaks down your house is in the shop and if you want to upgrade you have to buy a whole new house instead of just a new truck. Been at it since the rig was new and wouldn't change a thing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you are smart to take your time to find a camper. Compare and get what you want. I spend a year buying a car. I like the floor plan but if I were you I would look at every camper made. You have 2 years use them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome to the forum. Since you indicated plans to fulltime I would research carefully the Montana/legacy vs the high country. Lots of good info on this site re both.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Welcome to the forum. Good idea to shop early and look at tons of RV's, fivers if that's your choice. We chose a 5th wheel based on what has already been mentioned and it is definitely the best for us. If you're considering full-timing, this is a good place to get information as many of the regulars here are full-timers. There is a lot to be considered and these guys are willing to share what they know. I think a Montana would be a good choice, but since you have the time, may as well shop around. There are a lot of good, comparative units out there, but, they don't have the MOC. That should also be a consideration. Best of luck with your search and future plans.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
One way I got over the anguish of towing a large fifth wheel behind my rear window, was to realize many others have done it and why shouldn't I? Just like anything in life, you'll get used to it. Take nothing for granted and be willing to learn and you'll probably do fine just like all of us before you.

Keep your trips short so you don't get worn out. Wherever you go, your trailer will follow. Learn how to make your turns wide. Most of all, get the RIGHT truck with more than enough tow capacity.

Welcome to the forum, and may this be the start of many future posts.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Eric, welcome to the forum. You can never start too early. We received some good advice many years ago when we were considering a Class A vs a 5th Wheel. The salesman said if you plan to camp a couple of nights at a time and tailgate, get a Class A. If you go places, spend 4 or more nights at a time, then get a fifth wheel. That advice has served us well. So, we have been a member here since 2004. We are now in our third Montana, not because of issues but because of lifestyle changes. One of the things that keeps us as Montana owners is this forum. People here are more than willing to help out when needed. When we got our first Montana, we lived within a couple of hours of Goshen, so we were at the very first MOC rally. And we have gone back every year. Which gives us some added contacts to help us resolve issues when necessary. We have had our Montana's from Florida to Alaska and Texas to Maine. After many thousands of miles, we have had it on Interstate Highways, gravel roads, dirt roads and in places we probably shouldn't have been. It has truly been an adventure. Good luck on your search.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 AM   #11
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
Thank you everyone, so very much, for your warm welcomes and for the advice. As Art-n-Marge said, many others pull RVs, so it's certainly nothing that isn't achievable. My wife and I spent a brief moment yesterday at our local dealer, looking at a Montana 3661RL, which we quite enjoyed. Also looked at the 3711, but realized that we prefer the bedroom in the back. So many things to learn, but plenty of time to do it. Fortunately, my wife and I tend to have very similar tastes so we don't clash a lot on that.

Thank you all again. I'm sure I will be posting a lot of newbie questions on these forums, especially with respect to tow vehicles and 5th wheels. I'm champing at the bit. I have my own company, so if it were up to me, I'd put the house on the market today and work on the road, but my wife needs to see local clients so it just isn't feasible yet. And now... It's my 50th birthday today so I need to head to church and then do some celebrating! :-)
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Happy birthday. I'm a certified RV driving instructor if you need any help after you buy.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #13
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I have a 2014 HC but not that model. We like ours and not had any major issues. In the near future 17 months we plan to be a snowbird. Lots of good information and many many varied views on the forum on what Montana is for full timers. Your decision will be yours and what your pocket book can afford. I went with HC because I got a screaming deal and it fit my pocket book because I am going to keep a stick home. Best of luck and smart to research now.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #14
FloydRHill

M.O.C. #18796
We also did quite a bit of research and decided on the fifth wheel because, even though there are some beautiful motor-coaches out there, we didn't like the feeling of living on a bus. Also, like previously mentioned, we have a truck to site see and get around when disconnected... to us, our RV just has much more of a homey feel. People are astounded by the amount of room we actually have and how much more like a "house" it is when we are asked by folks to see it. Good luck in your search and don't be pressured to make a quick decision (we got "the deal of the century" on our ours by having multiple dealers try to outdo each other... we literally stole this unit!).

Happy New Year!!
FloydRHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Welcome to the MOC. There are plenty of experienced folks on here that have been full time for awhile. We gained valuable information from this site after purchasing our first used Montana.

The learning curve will be a little different getting a large fiver for your first RV, as compared to starting in a Class A. We sold our home and only traveled for 3 years full time but always felt our Montana was the perfect fit for the lifestyle. Now back into a home and only traveling 2 to 4 months a year the Class A fits our needs better.