Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Use Of Blocks For Levelling

Ran across this and thought some may find it interesting. So many times I have seen the incorrect way to level using blocks.

Use Of Blocks For Levelling

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for the link Wayne. If I read that correctly they don't recommend the plastic blocks that are so popular.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
That's a hard one for me to call. I think I'll defer to an engineers perspective, and we should have some on this forum.

However, if it turns out that you should not use them, well, I have "two bags full" for sale - cheap.

Since I will be running on one set of DRW's it will be easier for me to use a 12" or maybe shorter wood piece. With the Hanna it was easier to have one long piece for both wheels. I can now use the plastic ones to run up on the wooden ones. Hmmm! More things to carry. I'm waiting now for an engineers perspective.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I have more than a bag of those plastic blocks also. They seem to work well. When you think about it the roads we travel aren't all that smooth either. We run over gravel, bumps and all kinds of things. If pulling up onto those plastic blocks damages our tires I really need to find smoother roads or get that houseboat.
Does anyone have something that works better than those blocks? I have used those glued microlams and they held up a little better than boards.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Excluding the discussion on plastic blocks, you would think a lot of the information shared would be intuitive, like supporting the entire foot print and supporting duals equally.

As to the plastic blocks, I have come to a point where I use wood for the tires and the plastic blocks for the landing legs and rear stabilizers.

Thanks for the link.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
One use for these plastic blocks would be to use them if needed underneath the final board that is under the tire. This, of course is only if you need one side at least 2 "boards" deep. But these seem to be a little unstable and my experience is that they sink into the ground. So maybe a board-plastic-board arrangement? But now we are talking about some height...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We do pretty much what Stiles is saying

the plastic squares are great for the rear stabelizers and also for building a step by the door on the rare occasion that there is a divit in the ground there.

under the tires, wood, or our ramps, which we purchased YEARS ago, and are no longer on the market. SIGHHH but, we love em!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
My engineeing involves metal, not rubber. I would assume that they have done some studies. I noticed the technical bulletin did "not" mention the plastic risers. It looks like they are more concerned with a sharp edge creating a "fold" in the steel belt. Just my two cents.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I gave away two bags of the plastic blocks. Found that pieces of wood, 14x2x10 work the best--for me!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a set of those big yellow plastic squares motorhomes often use. I quit using them, alone, under the landing gear and rear stabilizers because of the instability of those stabilizers sliding on the plastic. But reading this thread it dawned on me I could use them as the first level, below my wood leveling blocks, for under the tires when leveling on soft ground. That would spread the weight and reduce the "settling" effect that can throw off the degree of level.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The reason I gave my plastic blocks away was because they were barely the width of the tires. If you're not perfectly lined up you violate blocking descriptions as shown on Wayne's post.

Orv
Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I use the plastic levelers for everything, leveling the rig, under landing gear and rear stabilizers and when they are bagged up I put them on the floor of the TV to keep Maggie the dog from jumping in the floor of the back seat when she sees the nose of the Monty following her down the road or when she hears the clanking and banging of the starting and stopping. These were great for the grandchildren, something they could get grandpa and grandma to help them camp better through chemistry. Now we are hearing they may not be the best thing to use, well, that's just perfect now that I have burned up the wood blocks years ago. Keep driving a rest stop is just over the next hill.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rving2us

I use the plastic levelers for everything. Now we are hearing they may not be the best thing to use, well, that's just perfect now that I have burned up the wood blocks years ago. Keep driving a rest stop is just over the next hill.
Don't sweat the small stuff...if they work for you no reason to change. I used them for years, now use them once in a while, as well as big pieces of wood for some things and small pieces of wood for other things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rving2us

I use the plastic levelers for everything. Now we are hearing they may not be the best thing to use, well, that's just perfect now that I have burned up the wood blocks years ago. Keep driving a rest stop is just over the next hill.
Don't sweat the small stuff...if they work for you no reason to change. I used them for years, now use them once in a while, as well as big pieces of wood for some things and small pieces of wood for other things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Who says they aren't the best? What's the best? It's all in what you, the user, wants. It doesn't make any difference what each one of us uses; just try to make your rig level and stable.

Orv
Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
It is interesting to me that according to the article, the plastic blocks are all of a sudden too tough on the tires and shouldn't be used. If the tires are that sensitive then I'm not sure I like the idea of towing the rig down the highway and hitting all the ridges, bumps, potholes and expansion joints that we encounter in every mile we tow. Yikes!! It seems to me that the leveling techniques we choose to use is the least of the tires problems.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree with you Pete. Our nations roads are much more destructive to our tires than these plastic things. I do have a bag full of them but for some reason use 2 X 8 wooden blocks instead.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't think we have received an engineers perspective on this. I guess I'll have to do some more research.

There are, at least, two types of plastic leveling blocks: The Lynxs, and THESE.

The latter look like they conform better to the article that was posted, whereas the Lynks have more open areas and sharper edges. Again, I'm not an engineer and only post this as a topic of discussion to try and determine which may be better for long term.

For Landing gear, I will be using 3/4" plywood cut into 12 inch squares. It gives enough area support to keep from sinking into soft spots and it is flexible and will not split like non-treated wood, or even treated wood. 3/4" plywood squares could even be stacked and used to level prior to putting the landing jacks down. Again, flexible and light to carry. (Just a thought.)

Edited for URL's

Edited again: I just got off the phone with Lynx. The gentleman stated that they have never done an official study but the have over 15 MILLION blocks out there and have not had any complaints. They have read the tire company reports, and if you look at some of the reports they advise against parking on gravel because a rock could cause the type of damage they indicated in their claims. Having stated you parked on gravel could possibly assist the tire company in any warranty claims.

Also, they make a CAP for the levelers, basically for the stabilizers for a good flat surface, that can be used on the pyramid for leveling.

SO, I'm not throwing my Lynx away and they are not for sale.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Sounds to me like tire companies making excuses for poor products. Pete said everything I was going to say. We need to use common sense when reading stuff like this. I use wood but thats just because its convenient and cheap. I would not hesitate to use the leveling blocks.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I used the Plastic blocks for a long time, I never had a problem with them but rock did chew them up. Just got a new set in April and haven't used them. I do use the MH types when at home base under each tire just to keep them off the surface. With this (SOB) I now have no use for the plastic blocks or wood, with this side to side leveling system and with the 6 hydraulic jacks there is no need for for them. The last two set ups has taken less than 20 minutes each time. I highly recomend the side to side leveling system. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote