Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Air bags feedback

Hey everyone,
I'm starting my research on which air bags to get on the truck. The place I like doing business with for accessories gave me a catalog when I had stuff put on the new truck. They have two brands...Firestone, which I've seen mentioned here, and Air Lift. I don't recall seeing that brand mentioned. It talks about Standard Duty and Heavy Duty with the Firestone brand. The Air Lift brand seems to be big on it's side to side leveling as well as front to rear leveling. They also state that they are exclusive for modern digital electronic in-cab controls. "The most advanced on board air systems in the industry". Yada, Yada, Yada...LOL

I think I'm going to head over there tomorrow and talk to Tim about the different styles etc. I'll get some ideas and prices, then get input from y'all on what you think.

Jan

Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jan,
Please post the prices you get on the Firestone bags and in-cab controls. I am looking at getting them installed in my truck this spring as well... Looking forward to getting your opinions and thoughts on this topic.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Sky
I put a set on the Dodge last year and I really like what they do. No more people flashing there brights at you at night and you can adjust the ride to take care of the load. I didn't put the cab control in my truck as I think it was another 180.00 to 200.00 dollars. I ordered mine from www.suspensionconnection.com. I think I paid 240.00 to the front door and that included the brass T to connect the lines together so that I only had one fill line. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Al,
Thank you for the info! I had the same problem coming home from Goshen, got flashed all night long. Hopefully the airbags will solve the problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jan, I am not very familiar with Air Lifts brand but have heard of them. I think they're probably capable of doing the job. The Firestone incab is not digital. At least mine isn't. It has a gauge with a dial.

One thing I think you do NOT need is ability to level side to side. Just front to back. You are putting weight on the hitch, smack in the middle. The side to side is mainly for loads that are heavier on one side than the other. And example would be one of those slidein campers. The side to side leveling just adds another level of complexity you don't need, unless it's all automatic. In any case, I don't think you need that. My opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Connorsmom, I sell, install, and have on my own truck, the Air Lift brand. I have had no dealings with the Firestone brand, so I can't say much about them. Both brands use Firestone bags, and both brands offer on board controls. As far as side to side levelling goes, I agree with Steve, it isn't necessary unless you are loading heavy on one side, or have a weak spring on one side.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I'm having Air Lifts installed by Camping World on 2/24. I'm not going with on board compressor. I carry a air compressor with me anyway so if it needs adjusting well only takes about one and a half minute to build up to 100 PSI.
I think others with more means and dollars in their pockets will argue that you need the compressor to adjust the ride as you are going down the road. Maybe so but only being a part timer camping I am not on the road that much. You know different strokes for different folkes.

Sorry Lonnie B I can't give you my business - you are just going to have to open up a tire store in my part of the country.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:33 AM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I have them installed on my truck with the in cab control. With 3 lbs in them the truck rides better over rough roads. When the Montana is hooked up I adjust the bags to just take the pressure off the overload spring (about 55 lbs). At this the Montana floats behind you. Have to look back to make sure it is still there. It is worth every penny. Highly recommend the in cab control for the best flexibility, even though it almost doubles the price. Do not need side to side adjustment.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I have had Air Lift w/in cab controls on my TV (2002) since new. They do a great job and I highly recommend the in cab control as it can be used to slightly compensate for some of the GREAT roads (read-bump-bump-bump!) you will find yourself on as well as being very convenient for leveling on the road and also when overnighting without unhooking. I find no need for side to side leveling.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
BigAl, you got yours from the same place I got mine. They are good system and like Steve said yo don't need the side to side option. Mounted my compressor under the back seat, because you don't use it all the time, and I didn't want the compressor or filter exposed to mud water etc.
Jan the Firestone bags are good, they are used in most of the suspension assistt systems old out there.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had mine installed by CW in 2004. I do not have the on-board compressor because I couldn't justify the cost. My portable compressor cost $35.00 and does an excellent job. I felt that form the numbers of times I would need to reinflate the air bags, the on-board compressor was just one of those things I didn't need.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Notice almost all above have 3/4 tons; anyone with experience with 1ton dually? I can see the advantange of leveling for night driving (have noticed my lights are higher when 5er is hooked up), but what about general ride. Does it help with the roads as much as the above indicate. (Wife's biggest complaint is the ride when we are unloaded - knows it is a truck but........).

Thanks.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We also have the Air Lift bags from Campers World and like them very much. We did add the comprssor(even though we carry another one in the Montana) and gages for convience. I leave 5 lbs in the bags for a better ride and the instructions say so.
Traveling with the Montana, I run the lbs up to 50 and watch the gage bounce beween 40 to 65 lbs traveling down the highway.
We also have the Mor/ride hitch. With both, it gives a smooth ride on concrete most of the time. We had a set in our old F350 and it gave us an easier ride.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
ashlandcpa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6686
I have a 2006 GMC HD 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Duramax. What exactly is it that the air bags do to enhance towing and the ride?

Dave
ashlandcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #15
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have Firestone bags and have dual lines exposed under the plug in the rear drivers side of the bed. I've read that with dual lines letting each bag carry to owner pressure that your TV will carry a more steady load. With a single line to both bags as you get sway in the TV bags can swap air pressure between the two. You owners with dual gages have you ever experienced this?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
If that were true then all the Kenworths that we have would be swaying up and down the road. On the big trucks all the bags are tied together with one line that goes to an air leveling valve. I also don't think that the airline for these pickup bags would move that kind of volume of air thru that small of a line. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ashlandcpa

I have a 2006 GMC HD 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Duramax. What exactly is it that the air bags do to enhance towing and the ride?

Dave
Don't need them with a one ton and won't do anything for your ride.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Thanks Bert, just what I needed to know (and to think the wife originally wanted me to look at a Kodiak (F450/F550) type vehicle. I can't even imagine what the ride in one of those would be like unloaded but I imagine we'd be . )
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #19
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, went to Mid-West Truck today to see about having the air bags installed. They sell the stuff, but don't install...:-( When I first went in and asked Tim about air bags...he asked what was wrong with mine. I said not THOSE air bags...LOL I was running some errands, and saw a Firestone Total Care Center. I figured since they make the air bags, maybe this place could install them. When the kid wanted to know what was wrong with my air bags...I knew that was a no go...LOL I told him not THOSE air bags...LOL Stopped by to talk to my mechanic, he asked me what was wrong with my air bags...I said not THOSE air bags...see a pattern here people?LOL

Anyway, my mechanic said to bring the stuff to him along with the instructions and he'll install for me. Uhhhh...I love ya Alex, but I'm not feeling a sense of security visualizing y'all standing in the middle of your garage reading installation instructions for these very important air bags...LOL

I was looking at CW online, so I guess I'll take a run over there tomorrow and see whats what. I'm out of idea's on where to go at this point.

Jan
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #20
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Went to CW today to get the pricing for the air bags. It helps a little that I'm a Presidents Club member, but it's a pretty costly investment. The Super Duty Air Bags are $289.00, Installation fee is $124.20. There is a two year warranty, but if I go with the Load Controller II Single Gauge in cab the air bags then have a lifetime warranty. The in cab gauge is $149.00 and another $142.20 for installation. So it will cost about $730.00 for the works. They also offer a three year protection plan for the in cab gauge for $29.99, but I don't think I would be wasting my money on that.

I'm leaning towards getting the in cab gauge mostly because I don't want the hassle of not only finding a place to accomodate my trying to get air while hooked up to the monty. But, nothing ticks me off more than going to a station and being insulted by them wanting me to pay 25/50 cents for freakin' air okay? Anyway, I see that many of you opted and recommend the in cab gauge. I guess I'm just going to sit back and see if more people respond with their opinions.

Also, would this be a good selling feature if I were to sell the truck in the future, or would it be a negative??

I also wonder if I should call Mid-West and see how much they would charge me for the parts, and then I could take them to CW to be installed. Maybe the parts would be cheaper through Mid-West. It couldn't hurt to check it out right? Thanks...

Jan

Jan