Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
What do RVer's do in the winter?

Thought you might get a kick out of what we have observed here in the very southern part of the United States. We are staying at an Escapee Co-op park in the Tucson Area about 30 miles from the Mexican border. For those of you that aren't familiar with these parks, each lot (huge) is owned by an Escapee. Usually they are full timers and when they are not here they have the association rent there lot out to another Escapee member for a very reasonable price and all the amenities are included. I was wondering the reason for so many empty spots here and found out that a lot and I mean a lot of these owners go South for the winter. Now being from Minnesota I can understand that very well but south from Arizona????
Many of them go for four months or more way down in Mexico where it is warmer. I got a kick out of that but I'm sure after a few years I will think 40 degrees at night is too cold to.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well, Here in west central Florida we are in the low 50's this morning and some of the campers are wearing coats. Now I can understand a light jacket or a sweatshirt but a winter coat? And the best part is these same folks got here with in the past week or two. One couple from Maine and the other from southern Quebec. No wonder they winter in Florida. Can't imagine how heavy their clothes were back home when it was -0 F. Even Lorraine has resorted to slacks this morning. Me, I'll stay in shorts until the temps get into the 30's.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:14 AM   #3
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Suffer you guys.

We are still in the Montana. Below 15 degrees F that includes cold water showers and no water in the kitchen. Hoping to be in a house without wheels by 1-1-06.

Other winters we thought Oklahoma was southern weather.

Enjoy!!!
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:42 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
YIKES Jim! I would say try to stay warm, but whooooeeee, those are some icky temps! Wish you warmer temps and good luck.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 AM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Jim You should be able to stay warm with the big lap dog. He should have plenty of heat
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:59 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we spent some very cold weather in a camper a few years ago and we swore that we would never, ever, never, ever do that again so the campers have always been winterized and stored away for the winter and we coil up in a nice warm house.Hopefully next winter we can warmerize the camper and ourselves someplace Sw or South....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Well there is not time for the Valley this year. We just requested our deposit back at Pan Am RV spot at San Benito. I'm going to miss those juicy oranges 5 lbs for the dollar. Maybe another time.

That fur ball lap dog is in his element this time of year. Like most of the northern breed dogs his hair grows thick and long so he is most comfortable outside in the wind hunkered down in snow or frozen lawn. Nose, tail and paws all tucked in together into a warm little pile protecting each other. Unfortunately we have to bring him into the trailor at night because he objects mightily to the Tom Cats that prowl around the area at night here and raises holy hell whenever one gets into his territory. Then when he's inside if he thinks the temperature is a bit warm he sleeps on his back to let the heat escape through his thinner belly fur. Rather an indelicate picture.

We are looking forward to our new home but will miss RVing until we can become Snow Birds again.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim and Freddie, I'm sure sorry to hear you won't be joining us in the valley this year. But we'll get up to see your new home one of these days. Or see you on the road somewhere. Enjoy the new home!

By the way, I think we have our Montana where we can get down to near zero without freezing. I hope. We've already had two nights in the low to mid twenties and one day it never made it to 40. But otherwise the weather has been beautiful. I'm sure that will end before very much longer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Check out our "5 Day Forecast" on the right of this page. Cheryl says, "Only ONE more winter!!!". These forecasts really get her fired up for FTing. I'm just going along for the ride. Actually, I'm the driver.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MI/Alden.html

*On Edit ~ Oh yeah... I have to buy the tv and 3400 for her.. almost forgot...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
By the way, I think we have our Montana where we can get down to near zero without freezing.
------------------

How'd they do that?

------------------

Come by and see us when we get it all put together.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:17 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sometimes we're chilly, sometimes we sweat. Either way we never worry about it. As for what we do during the winter, I don't know what we do but we never seem to have time to do it. Busier now than when we lived in a stick house and worked at a job every day.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I just put my name on the list for becoming a lease-holder for that park (assuming it's Saguaro?)! I love Benson and the area, and want to stay away from big cities. When my name eventually gets to the top of the list in 5 years or so, I'll probably be ready to stay in one place longer. But I can still travel if I want to. No stick house for me! And southern Arizona is warm enough and south enough for me.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote