Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
bbrown2180

M.O.C. #28000
Wiring for satellite tv

WE have a 2021 2985 RL Tried using our Dish playmaker with the wally on our recent trip. after spending over 2 hours on the phone with Dish we ended up having to bring the wire from the playmaker in through the door and across the living room and hook up directly to the wally and bypassing the installed wiring in order for the satellite tv service to work. Obviously this is not an acceptable solution. Anyone had similar problems and if so what is the best solution? Thanks

bbrown2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This is an ongoing problem. Between Key TV Issues, bad coax connections, cable length restrictions and an assortment of other problem, many member have the same problem as you. Do a "Search" on satellite and you will find lots of problems and ideas for resolution. Here is just a small sample:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=79917
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=80470
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=80464
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=74249
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83600
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=75034
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=73292
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=80213

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
It even goes beyond that. I have a new G2 that our dealer and DirecTV were unable to figure out. I finally figured it out and found that you must use the 50’ or shorter cable from the dish to the power inverter. Using a short cable from the convenience center with a connection worked sometimes. So, I routed the cable in the corner of the slide up into the TV center (behind the DVD player). I currently have it going up the ladder and across the roof. I am hoping our dealer will find a better path to the roof.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bruce,

I ran a direct cable through the slide with the TV - no more trouble.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Through the window with some foam pipe insulation.
I also purchased a Furrion coax exterior wall fitting for it, but have not mounted it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210612_170933.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	9394  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had similar problems with DISH. Finally figured out there is almost 35 or 40 ft of coax from the convenience center to the tv in my rig. It runs from the front, under the rig to the back, up into the slide, and finally to the TV. Since the limit on length is 50 ft, I believe, that pretty well killed it. Put a connect thru the wall behind the TV and all is good.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I had similar problems with DISH. Finally figured out there is almost 35 or 40 ft of coax from the convenience center to the tv in my rig. It runs from the front, under the rig to the back, up into the slide, and finally to the TV. Since the limit on length is 50 ft, I believe, that pretty well killed it. Put a connect thru the wall behind the TV and all is good.
Any photos of how you did that ? We just purchased a 2021 Montana High Country 295RL & i think we're going to have same issue with our dish satellite.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
I had issues with my dish portable antenna running it through the convenience center, It worked once in a while. I finally started running the cable directly from the receiver to the antenna and that solved the issue. This happened in both my earlier HC and my current 3810MS. I finally ran the cable directly down from the receiver to the bottom of the slide running it with the rest of the cables without cutting a hole. I just pull the cable out from under the rubber under the slide and connect it to my portable antenna. Have not had any issues since. I plan to do something similar for the bedroom TV. The convenience center works great for cable from a RV Park. I made sure all fittings were tight and that part works great.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
We had to install a direct plug in through the wall at our LR TV as the existing coach coax from the factory satellite plug-in had opened up somewhere. So far, our bedroom circuit is still intact...
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Majorpolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19958
We have a 2021 3781RL. It took me about 2 hours to decide to drill 2 holes in the bottom of the slide that holds our TV. No more headache. I extended the coax out those two holes and I connect my Satellite cable to that. When we are traveling, I push the coax up into the holes and pull them out when we park.
Majorpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #11
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Satellite Cable Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown2180 View Post
WE have a 2021 2985 RL Tried using our Dish playmaker with the wally on our recent trip. after spending over 2 hours on the phone with Dish we ended up having to bring the wire from the playmaker in through the door and across the living room and hook up directly to the wally and bypassing the installed wiring in order for the satellite tv service to work. Obviously this is not an acceptable solution. Anyone had similar problems and if so what is the best solution? Thanks
As I understand the small portables do not work well with the Keystone splitters used within the trailer. I totally run new cables from LR and BR to the control panel, and disconnected the factory installed. I am using the Dish PathfinderX1 and can get out from the trailer a good 100’ with no problem.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #12
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
satellite wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Fast Rusty View Post
I had issues with my dish portable antenna running it through the convenience center, It worked once in a while. I finally started running the cable directly from the receiver to the antenna and that solved the issue. This happened in both my earlier HC and my current 3810MS. I finally ran the cable directly down from the receiver to the bottom of the slide running it with the rest of the cables without cutting a hole. I just pull the cable out from under the rubber under the slide and connect it to my portable antenna. Have not had any issues since. I plan to do something similar for the bedroom TV. The convenience center works great for cable from a RV Park. I made sure all fittings were tight and that part works great.
Hi Half Fast Rusty. We have the same model as you, the 3810 (2017 model). We have the Dish tailgater pro with a Wally. I took the time and effort to trace out ALL the cable wiring in the trailer. Yeah, I know, I must be bored. Anyway, I found that the cable from the CC to the main tv is direct, no splitters. We have had no problems with the Wally and dish. Between what's in the trailer walls and the coax to the dish, there's around 100 feet. No problems thus far. Did make sure all the connections were good.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
jdwinks

M.O.C. #24545
coaxial cable

Hi---traced our issue to the splitter by the living room tv..once replaced all was good...good luck
jdwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:32 AM   #14
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
We just got a new 2021 3931fb. With the Key TV. I have direct TV. Set up the dish and hook in the the satellite in cardo area. Works great in living room but can't get it in bedroom. Our 2016 Montana had living room and bed room hook up for satellite and had no problems. How do I get this to work on the TV in the bedroom?
snowmanfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #15
Mrwoodmin
Established Member

M.O.C. #28937
I have a 2021 377fl I use the Winegard Pathway X2. I connected the Pathway to the port on my 360 air antenna on the roof, then from the satellite port from the air 360 on the roof to the satellite port ( both in the outdoor convince center) that goes to the key tv, then from the satellite port in the living room to the Dishnet receiver and to the tv. Worked excellent.
Mrwoodmin is offline   Reply With Quote