Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #61
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
On that link, Steve, it mentioned that the ST tire had a stiffer sidewall, but was only rated to 65 mph. The LT tire, it said had a higher speed rating, but the sidewalls gave a little more, which would not afford as much stability as the ST tire on a sudden, sharp maneuver.

I like your point about the availablity of the LT tire vs the ST. Especially on a weekend, somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #62
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ratings can be misleading. The Mission TR 235/80 tires that came on my Montana are very flimsey when you handle them unmounted. As I said in other posts, I could squeeze the tire beads together with out much effort with both my left or right hand. I could push one finger into the inside sidewall of this tire and make a little bulge in the outside of the tire. They feel like a rag.
I tried this on cheap Canadian Tire LT tires and I could not squeeze the tires together using all my might. I could not make a bulge with my finger. I don't believe this is a TR versus LT thing.
All manufacturers put on the cheapest rubber they can buy and these Missions are cheap tires.
When decent tire makers start making 16 inch 10 ply tires with the TR rating , I will look at them. Right now you can get very good LT 16 inch tires that handle tall loads like slide in campers, that can take the stump pulling torque of a diesel , and can be turned hard while the stump pulling torque of a diesel is pushing the truck straight ahead, so I don't believe a trailer tire has a hard life at all. It has to roll, support weight , and take a little low speed side scrubbing when we are tight turning in reverse. Compared to what pickup tires do, this is a piece of cake. I have overloaded LT tires, spun them, turned hard on them and put real miles on them without a failure. Look at all the TR tire blow outs and I think TR should stand for trash.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #63
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I went with four new BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires on our Montana before we left Mission, TX, in early March. I wanted the BFG tires because of my experience with BFG's on the current truck as well as in the past. This picture was taken a couple of days ago. It is a BFG Rugged Trail T/A tire currently on my F250. This tire has 49860 miles at the time of this picture.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #64
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,

I have had the same experience with the BFG T/A tires on my truck. I replaced the truck tires with 61K miles on them and went with the BFG T/A tires again. I have over 20K on the new ones and they still look like new. The tires that came on my Mountaineer appear to be wearing well. They'll prbably need to be replaced be cause of age before they wear out.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:11 AM   #65
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the solution Glenn proposed last November. As truck tires wear relatively quickly and trailer tires generally don't 'wear' out but need to be replaced due to age, why not replace your half used truck tires with new ones and put your old truck tires on the Montana. Both are usually 16" and both are similar sizes with the same load rating. You can get to Glenns topic at the following.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...chTerms=+tires

Has anyone actually done this yet? I need new Montana tires this summer because mine are showing age cracks although the tread is like new!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #66
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If they are too bad, I think I'd be nervous. At 15,000 # (fully loaded with gear), that would be 7 1/2 tons on those four tires. Truck is about 1/3 (or so) of that. Just my thoughts. I could be off on my thinking though, has happened before...

*On Edit~ OK, before someone says something about my flawed thinking (again), I will mention that I do understand that even though the truck is lighter, the "steering" wheels and the "drive" wheels do wear more rapidly, and undergo more stress, than tires that are relatively "static" (on an RV). Also, more miles on the tv tires as the Monty is parked much more...

*On 2nd Edit~ Wow! That's amazing. No one else needs to even post... just watch and I'll debate myself here for a few pages...
Old 04-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #67
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowbunny

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the solution Glenn proposed last November. As truck tires wear relatively quickly and trailer tires generally don't 'wear' out but need to be replaced due to age, why not replace your half used truck tires with new ones and put your old truck tires on the Montana. Both are usually 16" and both are similar sizes with the same load rating. You can get to Glenns topic at the following.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...chTerms=+tires

Has anyone actually done this yet? I need new Montana tires this summer because mine are showing age cracks although the tread is like new!
Jim, it's an excellent idea for those for whom it will work. However, it won't work for me. My F250 came with the standard LT265/70R17 tires and the Montana uses LT or ST235/85R16.

Dsprik, don't forget part of the trailer weight is on the hitch and not the tires. For example, on ours, at 14,360, 11,060 of that is on the tires. Still a lot of weight but that's why they're aired to 80 psi. Also, trailers get a different kind of stress. Backing and turning tightly on wheels that don't steer puts a lot of stress on the sidewall. Eventually the sidewall will weaken. That may have something to do with the number of blowouts we experience. I don't know if that's why, it's just a guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #68
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. I forgot about the ~20% of the Montana's GWV on the truck rear axle.