Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Need your CPAP advice-Updated update

I have been through a sleep study and it looks like I will be getting a CPAP machine. I have looked on the internet a little and there are so many choices my head is spinning. I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, recommendations any of you may have. Let's not forget masks too, I have a mustache so I guess that would probably rule out some of them.

Thanks in advance for your help
Charlie
================================================== ================
First of all I want to thank everyone for their help

I went in Tuesday night for my sleep study with a Cpap. They fitted me with a mask that just covered my nose and it sealed well over my mustache. They started me out at low pressure and I didn't sleep well, upped the pressure with the same result, in and out of sleep. Then they switched to bi-pap and I went right to sleep and slept till they got me up, so I am going in next Tuesday to get my Bi-pap machine. I'll let you know how it all works out.
================================================== ===================
I went last Tuesday to the medical supply store and picked up my Respironics bi-pap machine and a mask that just covers my nose. Now where to put it? I had to build a shelf on the side of the bed for it. The first couple nights were a little sleepless getting used to that mask and hose, the third was better and now I am pretty much sleeping all night. I used to toss and turn all night and didn't realize the cause, now I do, I wasn't breathing. Now I wonder why I didn't do this a long time ago

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Charlie,
Have you evaluated the prosthetic device that fits over the teeth and adjusts the jaw position to open up the airway (that's the way us firefighters talk)?

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Bob,
I may be jumping the gun here. I am scheduled to do another study with a CPAP after we get the results from that I will have a chance to discuss options with my doctor and I will ask him about this (I think he understands firefighter):]
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have been on a CPAP for several years. I set the Montana up with a 350 watt inverter and set the plug up on the bed frame. It takes a few days to get use to the mask but you will feel well rested when you get up. The difference is quite amazing. Once you get use to it you will take that with you before anything else when you go on a trip. My wife calls it my girl friend and tells people that I take it with me before her.
I ran a piece of extension cord from the inverter through the floor to the plug as it is more flexable than normal house wiring and I ran for the week at Quartzite last winter with no problems.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have been using a CPAP machine for 15+ years. I have gone through a transition of different types. I now use a VPAP ("V" meaning variable) machine by ResMed. It is the S8 model for the built-in chamber with humidifier. This is a smart machine and can be set to do some pretty amazing things. Mine is set to come on automatically when I Don the mask. It also shuts off when I take the mask off.

I use a full face mask even though I have a beard. ResMed has made many improvements to face masks too. I may soon be experimenting with some of the masking to see if I can establish a better fit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Charlie, I don't see any hair on your lip in your picture.
I have been using CPAP or ten years now. I am on my second machine as the first one died after 9 years. This new on is much better, quieter and lighter. I now use the Everest3 by AEIOMed. IT is digital and has a built in humidifier.
I ran a fused 12volt line up to my inverter under the bed so I can plug in the CPAP. It works really good. Good luck and happy ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have the Resmed Elite II. That machine is so quite I have to look at the light to see if it is on. I fought the mask during my sleep study, they put nose pillows on me and I sleep like a baby now. You might want to give them a try, much more comfortable than the mask.
There is a web site out there you might visit, it has reviews of all different types of machines.http://www.cpap.com/

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Charlie,
Like several others here on the MOC I have been using a CPAP machine for about 20 years. I have an older, larger and noisy type machine. It is a Respironics REMstar Choice LS model. This machine simply will not DIE! It has to be one of the most reliable pieces of machinery I've ever owned!

But after reading the various posts it is obvious I need to upgrade and update my old machine. Obviously there have been MAJOR improvements in all aspects of these machines. Thanks to all who have posted and good luck Charlie. As pointed out earlier it will most likely make a huge difference in your health and well being.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Charlie,
I'm on CPAP also. I didn't have a choice in the machine, but it also has a humidifier. A battery pack can be purchased for it. The machine I have is the REMStarPro M series. I use the Swift LT Nasal Pillow System. They have small, medium and large, for just about any nose. It is a little pillow fluff type of thing. I seldom use the top of the head clip for the hose, but just let it swivel loosely. My wife says I don't snore anymore when I'm using the CPAP.

The machine I have runs off of 12V, so I guess with the right connector I could run it directly off the battery. It draws 1.2Amp max. I take the whole machine with me, but I only use the snap out part without humidifier when traveling. Also, along the gulf coast I do not use the humidifier.

In my opinion you are going to feel great once you start using it. You will not be as tired throughout the day.

Good luck.

Edited:
p.s., I also have a mustache and the Nasal Pillow is no problem, as the little air holes are fit just inside the nostril.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Charlie, for a couple of years with the pillow nasal device. It is less intrusive than the full mask. At first I had some problems getting use to to it but after a week it worked great. I have a full beard and the pillow is no problem at all. It goes where we go. I get much better sleep and fell great in the AM. Stick with it for a while and you will adjust.
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Charlie, Your insurance company MAY have a say in what machine you end up getting. I have had a Respironics RemStar Plus for over 5 years. It has the humidifier container that I have to add distilled water to each night. You may end up needing a full face mask if you are a predominantly mouth breather as I am. The technicians at the Medical supply store should be able to help you with fit and finish. Without the humidifier, my mouth gets really dry during the night. I had an AC plug installed on my side of the bed and have always used in on AC. I do have a 400 watt inverter that I could use if necessary.

Good luck and stick with it if you do need one........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Just a quick comment from a CPAP wife. We both now sleep better!!! Like Don, Ken packs his CPAP first wherever we go!!! Now I can't blame Ken's snoring when I don't get a good nights sleep ; )
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for all the help and advice so far.
Phil I'm sure the insurance company will have a big say in what I get. I'm just trying to get myself informed ahead of time so I have a better idea whether or not what they want and I need are the same.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I have been with my CPAP for about 18 mos. When I did my sleep study they tried two different types of masks to help me determine the most comfortable for me. The prescription came from the Dr. for the machine with his specifications and was given to the company recommended by him. When I picked it up I went through a training session with the tech to insure once again the type of mask that was right for me.

It was worth the hassels as I now sleep through most nights w/o problems and my oxygen level is always 98% unless we go to Colorado.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
See my earlier post on the Swift LT Soft Pillow.

With the soft pillow and that air blowing in my nostril there is no way I can breath air through my mouth. Any opening of the passage will blow the air coming in out the mouth in a continuous stream.

With the Soft Pillow I breath and exhale through the nose.

I can sleep on my back, side, or stomach with the soft pillow.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Charlie, I have been using the Respironics Remstar auto with c-flex. When I went to my doc I stressed the fact that I would be on the road a lot and might not have access to electricity to run the cpap. He selected this model because it has two inputs on the back. One is a 12V DC plug and the other is a 120VAC plug. He also prescribed a 200 Watt inverter. It also came with a humidifier. Good luck with your new CPAP.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Charlie;;I have been on a cpap now for about 3 years but do not use the humidefer like most do ;;its a bit dry but i hated the hassel of changing the water etc..i sleep a lot better also medicare covers it all plus youe suplemt and lincare shipps the supplies every month where every we are ;;;good luck as you will start to sleep better and so will every one else ;;;dsailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
It's amazing what information I get from this forum. I too was just put through a sleep study yesterday. My snoring is so bad that I could be heard by through the walls of the clinic and I would stop breathing so much that they had to wake me and put me on a CPAP machine in order to finish the study. Besides not getting a restful sleep at night I always wake with a pain in my side where my wife pokes me each time I stop breathing or my snoring gets too loud. So I am looking forward to use this machine if it will help me get some rest. My wife says she hopes that now she will get some rest too.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #19
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
It might be amazing to know how many marrages have been saved by a small little machine blowing air into a hose.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I have my Resmed for about 18 months. Still hate having to use one. Don't sleep well without it, and when I use it, am up 4 times a night sipping water because my mouth is so dry, even with the humidifier. Guess I should use it every night & get used to it.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote