Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #21
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Paul and Kathi,

Glad I could help, maybe I need to order some too!

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #22
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We use invisible glass it is safe for tinted windows...also so is Rainx glass cleaner. I dont use windex or anything that is not safe for tinted windows...had a friend who used just plain glass cleaner and she said it spotted them over time. Has anyone had a problem like this?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
campbud,

No problem with window cleaner on the windows, but I do have some spots on my mirrors in Tana (every one of them) and I don't know why or how to get rid of the spots!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #24
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Ok Lighningjack, you have to trust me on this one. You know those green scub pads you get for cleaning just about everything? Don't use them. Get the white ones. They are alot finer and we use them all the time on the windshieds of the engines. Have you tried the dryer sheets yet? I bet they will work if you wet them first. It's lovebug season in full bloom, come getcha some.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #25
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Yuck! Those lovebugs are nasty even when they're not on the Montana, J.P. I'd hate to drive through them with the fifth wheel.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Windex will harm tinted windows that are tinted after market with a film. It will not harm manufactured tinted windows. We have had lots of vehicles and 5ers with tinted windows and always use Windex or something like it. On one vehicle we had some extra done after market and they told us not to use Windex. Of course they were selling this special window cleaner that was 10 times the cost of Windex - I wonder................................
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #27
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Js,

I bought the green ones. So I guess I will have to go back and hunt white ones. have not tried the dryer sheets yet.

I am headed to the hardware tomorrow to find some more products.

Thus far I am using CLR with a single edge razor for cleaning, water and vinegar for rinse scrubing using newspapers, and then RainX.

Windows are starting to look good but I still see some stains.

One guy on Good Sam suggested pool acid and water.....Not that desperate yet. I am afraid of damaging the trailer finish.

One way or the other I will be finished with windows this weekend. have to move on.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #28
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
CountryGuy, I use the safe for tinted window products(invisible glass-rainx...)on the mirrors too ... hairspray can cause spotting on mirrors, but I dont know what would of caused it on every mirror.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #29
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Here's another product I've had good luck with. Nothin's Better, a water stain remover and protective coating. From the label "Use on glass, chrome, porcelain, tile, fiberglass, aluminum and stainless steel. Removes water, mineral stain, rust, scum and paint overspray. A paste type product." I picked it up at an auto supply store, NAPA as I recall. Some of the auto restoration and street rod suppliers handle it also. About $4.00 for a 12 oz. container.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:44 AM   #30
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
ok searchers, We do have a NAPA so will drive by on my way to the hardware store and look for nothings better.

Thanks
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
campbud

NO hairspray in our unit ever, so, that did not cause it. Cause of the yorks, we are pretty careful about products we use, and how. Had to be something that got around that rig, cause every mirror is spotted, and windex type cleaners don't take it off. Think I will try some vineagar. Not real sure if coming from the front or the back of the mirrors, might be something with the silver or whatever they are using on the backs these days. The spots are small now, ------
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #32
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We used to use a scouring powder to clean the road pit and grime off window glass, it is used by glass people, I know it begins wirh the letter B. it looks like the container came out of the 40's bit it is the only thin in a scouring powder that works on glass with out hurting it.
I'll check the gerage tomorrow and see if I still have it, and put the name out on this post.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #33
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Bon Ami, if I spelled it right.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote