Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
El Cheapo Lap Top Mount for Truck 15 bucks.

A few days ago we were discussing lap top computer mounts on the forum. Steve Reigle discussed one he had made from a piece of wood. I had messed around with a couple designs made from PVC and wood, but never did like them. When I saw what Steve had done, I liked it except the lap top was fixed and didn't swivel. I told Steve I was going to try and improve on his idea.

I came up with the idea of using a lazy susan bearing between the length of wood in Steve's design with another piece of wood attached to the lazy susan bearing for the lap top. This gives a swiveling capability to Steve's design. Since the mount would block off my console coffee cup holder I also moved it to the top of the mount. Both the coffee cup holder and lap top are velcroed to the wood.

I used some small bungee cords and eyelets to attach the mount to the console between the seats, It works great in my 2002 dura max.

I use a picnic table table cloth holder as a shim that keeps the lap top fixed in position once you swivel it to he position you want it in.

I sanded the edges of the wood and will varnish them later. I used a 4 inch lazy susan bearing i found at Lowes. The wood is pine.

Pictures show the mount from various angles and I also show my GPS window mount. The GPS connects to the lap top for tracking our route. I have no problems locking in satellites in that GPS position.

I want to also thank Steve for teaching me how to post pictures here.

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Pretty SNAZY!!!

Nice job!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Wow! FloridaNomads, that looks great. You have inspired me. Not sure I could do a good a job as you have done, but your photos will be very helpful to all of us who might wish to give it a try. Thanks much!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I have received so much help on this forum, I just wanted to provide some too. Actually, the mount is very easy to constuct. Finding the lazy susan bearing will probably be the hardest part and maybe finding good anchor points for the bungee cords. Wally World has the small 18 inch bungee cords. Ace hardware and Lowes has the lazy susan bearings.

Good luck and if you have questions please ask...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #5
MuleBrand
Established Member

M.O.C. #288
That is a great setup!
MuleBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Terrific job, Ray! Thanks for posting the pictures. Got your email, too. I'm using some adjustable velcro straps that go around the wood and around the console lid. I also have some ball bungees going the same route, with the ball on the underside, but we use those more for holding various things to the board when the laptop is not onboard, such as sightseeing maps and brochures we're currently using. I generally leave the board in place all the time since we use the gps frequently. Also, I coverd the board with velcro and the bottom of the laptop with velcro wherever there was a clear spot to attach it. The laptop doesn't move even on the severest bumps. Did you use velcro to attach the laptop to board?

Again, very nice job!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:35 AM   #7
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Yes I did use velcro for attaching the lap top to the lazy susan board, also for attaching the coffee cup holder. You are right the lap top will not move around on the board.