Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #21
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We have had very few problems with our Montana and some of them was our fault. We have always been if it breaks we fix it ourselves. On our trip last month from Nevada to MS. I kept waiting for things to break or go wrong and was delighted that the Montana made it with flying colors. So out of 5 stars I give it a 10. We have been full timing sence June 7 2003 and would I buy another Montana??? YES!!

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #22
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
See... a negative opinion is not welcome... even if the sunshine folks lead others down the garden path. I'm far from alone here... look at the posts on broken welds, bending axels. It's just a shame that it's so hard for everyone to stand back and take a look.... and come to an unbiased conclusion.

Also, saying a Montana is better then a Jayco or a Prowler is much like saying that a Ford is better then a Chev... it's only one persons opinion with nothing to measure.

If you really wasnt to award a "Star Rating" start comparing say axel problems with other makes.... or how about freeze ups??

All I can say is that if this Montana was a motor vehicle it would have been back on the dealers lot long ago.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #23
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
With all the problems we have had with our rig I have to add my 2 cents worth,Keystone imo has not ,and I say it again, has not bent over backwards for us as many of you say they do. They told us your out of warranty, sorry!And we were complaing about a major warranty repair wwhen we went to pick our unit up.The dealer is having it re=repaired at their cost to save grace.We never even accepted the unit, but the dealer called keystone and sent them digital pics. Keystone said repair fine, take it home, you are out of warranty!Now is this a good company, I know ford repaired things on our old truck out of warranty.I am not saying all manufacturers build them with no problems, keystone seems to have alot of major problems and major quality problems.Do we buy to soon without checking other brands, yes.I just went through our warranty paper work on repairs,over 17,000 bucks worth and this thing is still not right.New roof, a/c,furnace,day-nite shades, entrance door, axles,carpet,tires, black tank,cabinets,new sound system, slide seals(b/r slide still leaks),bubbles in fiberglass,repaired;looks loke a pre-schooler did it,would not accept.This is not to mention windows that leaked, plastic junk that has broken more than once, leaking shower still leaks.The have replaced the male electrical end on the fiver three times,finally they replaced with a stainless steel one at dealers cost instead of the cheap plastic one. Are we hard on this unit, no used only for weekends at a campground less then 10 miles away,one trip to ocean city,md.,about 400 miles round trip and two wore out tires.Sorry to rant and go on but for the money we paid this thing is junk.If you have one that is good, we are happy for you, but every trip something else breaks.I know of three other montana owners, 1 is happy, 2 hate their units,problems , older units, both had frame problems.Now is keystone getting better,yes their new line looks better built, but alko,libbert,utopia,have to go.I ould rate keystone a 1 at best and would never buy again.Do we like the unit, yes, love the lay-out, but;in hindsight should have kept 2001 sunline tt, never a problem or looked harder. I for one feel like keystone puts thier money into the nice interiors and sell us, the consumer quite short on the guts components of the fiver.People here say that is normal and fix stuff, but, for these prices that is fine, but not after every trip or not after a couple of years.Routine maintenance,yes.Very disappointed in our monyana. Soon to be traded in after repairs.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #24
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Thanks for the support Azstar and Sgf.... I wasn't trying to trash anyone's dream here... but I just couldn't let folks make a decision on a major purchase like a fiver thinking we are all happy campers.

Had I found this owners group and read up on the frame problems and a few other things before I made a deal I may have re - thought my purchase.

I like to buy stuff that wears out.... things that crack, break, bend, freeze solid and fall off choke me up.

Nuff said... on to happier topics. Best wishes to all....
Old 01-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #25
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. We just purchased our Montana in August. At the rally, last fall, we got an opportunity to meet the factory personnel. This fall, they plan on having service personnel around to look at any issues that members might have during the Great Lakes Region rally. Not all, but many, of the items mentioned are from vendors - such as stoves, refrigerators, axles, etc. All of the manufactureres use many of the same suppliers. To me, one of the things that make the Montana special are the other owners who frequent this site, helping them to resolve issues. No, Montana is not perfect. If you don't like them, don't buy them. However, for those of us who like our units, we don't need to justify our purchasing decisions to others, as long as we're happy. I know a few of the people that have had major issues with their units that got great service, including out of warranty. I suspect that some of the people on this thread would find better luck going if they were less adversarial, at least at the start. I am probably one of the worst complainers, after I've exhausted every other option (for example, you won't see Ford at the end of my post). I guess there's a reason that Montana is the number one and Cougar number two for sales of fifth wheels. Sorry that a few of you have had issues that have made you so bitter. Our experience has been fantastic to date. Again, not just the 5er, but the people as well.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #26
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
We're not bitter at all...if Keystone would like to have this thing back I can be had..... however... I suspect they won't step up to the plate,... nor will their dealer...

I do believe I said in another post...Daimler Chrysler stands up for their product... they don't blame Magna or Cummins or whoever for the shortcomings of their product... the manufactureer bears the ultimate responsibility. If we let Keystone off the hook because a fatory installed fan fails...because it was made by someone else.... well... maybe we should excuse the auto industry as well.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Gruffy -

You are comparing apples and oranges. Most auto suppliers have only three choices of customers to sell to and those suppliers wield great power. I work for a supplier to the auto industry and GM expected me to have people in the air when one part failed out of a million. Cost of the part - $2. If you read about the auto industry, they are putting many of the smaller companies out of business with their tactics. Only a handful of industries has that leverage with their suppliers. A couple of examples. Buy a St. Croix fishing rod and have an issue. You can't go back to Cabelas or Bass Pro. You must deal directly with St. Croix. Buy a pair of Oakley sunglasses. Same thing. I would love nothing better than to have the same quality level on a Montana as on my Silverado, but it won't happen until someone else can raise the bar. And that hasn't happened yet. And, quite frankly, I haven't had the problems that some others have had. And when I did have an issue, it was taken care of promptly. Had a Rockwood TT before this. Water tank broke free and dumped 40 gallons of water inside my trailer. We were in Maine and they didn't even have a dealer within 500 miles. I have heard stories from the owners of higher end units as well. Sorry you don't like yours. You've gotten up on your soapbox, which is your right. But, those of us who like our Montanas have our right to say so as well.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #28
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Absolutely...but trying to browbeat those of us who are not totally satisfied is a disservice to consumers as a whole and not what the old Montana owners form was all about...like I said before... negative comments are not appreciated here and atacked..just a shame I am the only one with the notable exception of two other folks who have had the fortitude to make my opinion known... and suffer the repeated attacks.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #29
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Don't get me started on Chrysler products, dealer and factory support. Been there and been had.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #30
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Seems like there are multiple threads which raise this question over and over again. I will take the opportunity to quote myself:
Quote:
quote:I would not have known about the kind of problems some owners have had if I had not read this forum. It is beyond explanation why some have so few problems and some have so many. Still I value this forum and think we ought to value every experience and opinion without being defensive. I hope the folks at Keystone/Montana will be responsive to every problem. That is the best defense.
Let us just each be honest without casting doubt on the other person's experience or opinion, and honest means honestly good as well as honestly bad. One does not offset the other. Both deserve to be heard, and I stick by my point that the folks at Keystone/Montana are the only ones that can provide any appropriate defence of the problems that some have faced.

Now how can I cross post this in all the other threads where it needs to be heard !?
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't had opportunity to read all the posts in this thread so please forgive if I repeat.

First, welcome aboard, Florida Gal. You are smart to check this out before you purchase. I think you will find that every RV brand out there has some units with problems. Montana is certainly no exception to that. But I also think you'll find a very high percentage of happy owners. We just don't very often post the good things, we just post to complain about problems or seek help, which is much of what this forum is all about. Last January, in Texas, we pulled over to see if we could help a couple stranded along the road when their almost new Carriage (a rather pricey rig) dropped both wheels off the right side. I mean broke right off, laying horizontally on the ground. I've had Holiday Rambler owners in RV Parks tell me about all the problems they've had, including some serious frame problems. So, you see, you are not likely to find any brand out there that's free of problems.

Montana has been the number one selling trailer in North America for four years in a row. That may now be five years, I haven't seen the 2004 sales figures. We were so happy with our first Montana that we traded it for another Montana. We've had this one for just short of 30 months. We've been fulltiming in it for more than 21 months and have been to both coasts three times now in that time. We've not been without problems but most have been very minor. What impresses me most is how Keystone has taken care of us when we needed them.

When we researched for our 'fulltiming' rig I was most interested in structural quality. I found some rigs with better structural quality than the Montana but they're all at least $20k more dollars. What I found is I could not get this degree of structural quality in any rig in this price range other than Montana. Now, that was almost three years ago, but I'm just trying to tell you what I found.

I think the bottom line is there are a number of really good fifthwheels out there that will meet your needs just fine. If I were in your shoes I think I would first find those in my price range, second find those that meet my quality standards, and then I would look at interior and exterior appointments, furniture, etc. I want. Then I would select the one from that group that I like the best overall, Montana or not.

Good luck in your search. Please let us know your decision.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #32
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I have already posted on this thread but would like to add a few more 2 cents. Based on what I have read on this forum and several others...Some folks who buy 5th wheels and travel trailers just don't do a complete pre delivery inspection of their units. How many times have you read where someone is writing to a forum relating the problems they found on the first trip out.... most, if not all the type problems reported are things that should have been found on a pdi. Granted the dealer should have also found them and fixed them before the pdi. I am a strong believer that it is easier to get these problems corrected by the dealer and the manufacturer before you sign on the dotted line. But the problem is that most folks are excited and anxious to get that unit home that they miss doing this. Shame on buyers who fail to do a good pdi before laying out their hard earned money for a trailer.

For many reasons I am convinced that some Montana's are not up to the quality standards set by the powers to be. I am not convinced that Montana's are bad trailers. I could say this about all trailers built and I think I would be correct. I think most trailers are built to high standards, but even the top of the line trailers have minor and major problems from time to time.

I am sorry that some folks have problems with their Montana trailers, I don't have any with mine and I like my Montana and would recommened a Montana to anyone that ask me my advice.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #33
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I to would like to clear up some issues.I sure hope that the MOC doesn`t think I`am hear bashing Montana or Keystone,I`am not.My situation is different then most of you guys.I wanted a NEW 5th wheel.Was going to go with an "Open Road"went as far as putting a deposit on one.The "Open road"was about the only 5th wheel I could afford new.The problem for my wife and I was that when we walked inside it for us any way it didn`t have that "WOW FACTOR" so we backed out of the deal.We decided to just be content with our TT.Until we saw this 3 year old left over Montana sitting on our selling dealers lot.We took a look inside and for us it had that "WOW FACTOR"Talked to the salesman and made the deal.A 6 hour walk thru and off we were.Didn`t have ONE problem with our unit until a couple monthes ago.I defended my rig up and down on the RV.net forum.I always thought this forum was for airing your thoughts and experiences good or bad.Right now i`am having some problems.Not bashing Keystone,just being honest and hoping to get some answers from other Montana owners that have been in the game a lot longer then me.

As you all know I have a new dealer now,and I have great convidence that they will do the right thing with Keystones help of course and put me back into my rig with a smile.The issues I`am having now I wouldn`t consider small,but I do believe they ALL can be fixed to my satisfaction.Lucky for me that all these problems i`am having started after my camping season was ended here in the North east.Now if the problems came up at the beginning of spring,I might have a different attitude.Maybe.It was a dream come true for my wife and I when we pulled out of the dealers lot with our Montana.had a smile on my face that wouldn`t go away.And with a little luck and my new dealers ability to make things right again,i`am certain that i`ll be smiling again.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #34
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
harleyrider,
Thank you for posting your clarification. What you posted is the way we want to see the Forum work.

You have told us what problems you've had and also how satisfied overall you are with the product. In addition you did this without name calling or language that incites.

We, at the MOC, want to know ALL the things good and bad about our trailers. That is the essence of this board. As long as we each respect the other persons' right to post views that may differ with ours then the board is doing what it was intended to do.

Thank you for your clarification.

RVWheels MOC Admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote