Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Hot Water Heater Check Valve

Last trip in our 2010, 3075 RL, we had just a trickle of water coming from all hot water faucets, while hooked up to city water. Asking other campers I found out that there is a check valve, that fails, on the "out" side of the hot water heater, it was a chore but got to the valve. Couldn't find a replacement where we were, so I took the broken spring, & guts out of the valve & replaced it. Water flow problem solved. When we got home had to winterize, usually takes about 1 & 1/2 gal to get the job done, owned this Montana for 10 years & always do it myself. This time I pumped about 5 gal. of the pink stuff in to get a pink flow from all faucets. I kept checking the winterize & water heater by pass were in the correct position. Back at it today to get the pink stuff out & all the extra anti freeze was in the hot water heater. I'm guessing it's because the guts from the back flow valve had been removed? Found a replacement on Treckwood.
John

Old 05-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup, that check valve is specifically for winterizing. Without it, the water heater will fill with antifreeze during a winterizing process.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You could always take that broken, stripped out check valve and replace it with a hand operated valve. When you winterize, you just have to remember to flip the valve yourself, and when you've unwinterized, to flip it back.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Thanks for the response, gaining access to the rear of the hot water heater was no easy task. I had to cut an access panel with a razor knife. Then replace the panel, cut, stain & install 1/4" molding to finish it off. I think I'll just replace the valve with a new one. The original lasted 10yrs, if the replacement lasts that long I'll be 83yrs old & it will be someone else's problem.
John