Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #21
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Using the onboard freshwater fill valve (if you have it) ... I just pour a cup of bleach down the mostly empty garden hose before I attach it to the inlet port. I then hook the hose up to the fiver and turn the water on. It puts the bleach right into the FW tank and mixes the brew as it puts water into the tank. Then I run the mix thru all water lines and let it sit for a night. Flush the next day. If there still is a bit of bleach taste, we add a slurry of baking soda to the FW tank and pump it thru the system.

No messing with buckets or winterizing/outside shower method. I grew up on well water straight from the ground, so we do use the FW tank for cooking, drinking, and showering when there are no water hookups. If you ever had a chance to observe food prep in about any of your favorite food chains ... your concerns about ground water would take on a different light.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #22
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
We sanitize once a year. It's a good time to flush the hot water tank and check the anode rod, too. I was going to do it at the current campground but the water here is yuck (not unsafe, just sulfer and a lot of mineral deposits) I'll wait!

I generally don't bother flushing the fresh water tank after draining the bleach water, just refill since the chlorine will diffuse out over time. Flushing the lines with city water serves well enough.
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:07 AM   #23
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiesclan View Post
Something I found on YouTube. The author spent about $3.00 on parts and purchased six gallons of vinegar.

I did it and it was easy and worked great. https://youtu.be/-74CQxa5BLU

That's a great way to descale a Suburban HW heater but it will not sanitize the system unless the vinegar is heated to at least 130F and kept there while in the system for a few hours.

Surprised that a 'big buck' GD RV only has a 6 gallon HW heater as our Montana HC has a 10 gallon though an Atwood (which doesn't need a replaceable anode).
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most city water has chlorine in it, that is what you sanitize your system with. If you have Well water like we have you might need to sanitize more often. Pure chlorine is extremely toxic and I prefer not to drink it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #25
Whitewolf
Established Member

M.O.C. #14498
I think I'm in a minority here but I've never sanitized. I used to use the pink at the end of the season, but the last couple of years I use air.

Also, I've installed a Clear 2o filtration system and an On-The-Go water softener. I was amazed all the gunk and debris the first filter(of two) caught when I changed the filters the first time.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
I think I'm in a minority here but I've never sanitized. I used to use the pink at the end of the season, but the last couple of years I use air.

Also, I've installed a Clear 2o filtration system and an On-The-Go water softener. I was amazed all the gunk and debris the first filter(of two) caught when I changed the filters the first time.
A perfect example of why everyone should sanitized their system at least once a year.
If you want another good example take a clean five gallon bucket put a couple inches of water in it and sit it in your house somewhere. Over a period of time it will become nasty. The same nastiness that will grow inside of your fresh water system.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #27
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Now, a first! Hijack my own thread
Sanitizing the H2O system was only the first of several neglected maintenance projects.

Yesterday - cleaned the awning and the big slide topper. Both look like new again. A little Dawn, a couple small slugs of bleach in a garden sprayer, roll them up for an hour or so, unroll, brush lightly and spray it off and voila, done. Three toppers to go but need a new sprayer first since the valve broke.

Today, clean the worst of the crud off the roof AFTER patching some small holes left when a windstorm a couple weeks ago deposited a couple branches there. Good ol Eternabond saves the day again and the roof will look like it had a case of measles in one area. From the look of the roof surface, may need a full seal coating as it looks like the black base the gray top layer appears to be bleeding through.

....and I though my last boat required lots of TLC (and money).
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #28
Whitewolf
Established Member

M.O.C. #14498
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
A perfect example of why everyone should sanitized their system at least once a year.
If you want another good example take a clean five gallon bucket put a couple inches of water in it and sit it in your house somewhere. Over a period of time it will become nasty. The same nastiness that will grow inside of your fresh water system.
The way our system is set up, all water must go thru the filters first, before it goes anywhere in the 5r. It doesn't sit long enough to become nasty. Fresh water tank is drained before we leave the campground. If we use it.

I think the last time I sanitized was in '09. I've only been using the filter system for a couple of years, and after what I've seen when it's time to change the filters, I'm very happy I installed it.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Bottled for cooking and drinking and the pets...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote