Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
TCmontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27810
Roof Coating and when to seal or not seal

Hello All;

We purchased our 3931FB last summer and have enjoyed most of every minute we have had it. More importantly, this MOC has helped me out and have answered many questions (most I did not asked), just by reading through the many post.

I have no issue with doing the maintenance on the unit, or the preventative maintenance that needs done from time to time. My question is when do you know when to seal the roof. As of this post we have no leaks (knock on wood).

How do you tell what type of roof, rubber or EDPM?

Does any one use the FLEX FILL? Is it worth it?

What does the group use? When is the best time to apply, meaning ambient air temperature?

Thanks for any information you can pass on.

Mark

TCmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Our rig is going on 4 years old and we have been on the road traveling the whole time, we have about 40,000 miles on our rig. We have had no roof issues but we decided to have our roof sealed for peace of mind and less maintenance, we used RV Armor company to seal the roof recently, their work comes with a lifetime warranty for leaks and is transferable. Looks great !!
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I used a two part sealer (Dicor?) from Camping World on another trailer. It was quite effective. The roof never leaked but it did shed a lot of old roofing material while washing it. I decided it was better to seal it than wait for it to get worse and have big problems. The directions on the containers addressed weather conditions for application.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have full timed for over 11 years now and currently own two Montanas. We have occasionally resealed around vents and skylights with self leveling lap sealant and patched tears with eternabond tape but we have never done anything to the whole roof.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Ours is 15 years old with about 86,000 miles on it. Have never sealed it. Wash it a couple of times a year with Dawn in water and a medium bristle scrub brush on a handle. Always inspect the caulk when I'm up washing it. Have had to replace or touch up some of the caulk joints.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I do what the manufacturer says to do. Nothing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The roof membrane is EPDM. A few months ago (maybe last fall) I washed my roof and then added some Dicor caulk around some spots at the front cap joint and around the ladder attachment - just because some spots looked a bit skimpy and thin. I had no leaks. The caulk product will have application temperature info on it.

Also - I can't recall the brand name - but I think some of the roof documentation from Keystone says to "only use products/caulking manufactured by XYZ Corp or it will void the warranty" and I can not remember the name of the product or the company right now. I used Dicor because that is what my local dealer had in stock...but you might want to double check me on this if you have warranty concerns. My warranty is gone.

I am not sure what Flex Fill is (I googled it and it looks like a roof coating). I have not done any hard research on the need for a roof coating, but it seems that the folks on this forum do not see the need for it.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Your roof material may actually be Alpha Superflex TPO instead of EPDM. These are both considered rubber roof materials, and both can use the Dicor sealant. The way to tell if you must know the type, is to remove the inside bezel from a ceiling vent and look at the roof material that is folded down from the roof. If it is white with black underneath, then it is EPDM, but if it is all white it is TPO.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
The roof membrane is EPDM. A few months ago (maybe last fall) I washed my roof and then added some Dicor caulk around some spots at the front cap joint and around the ladder attachment - just because some spots looked a bit skimpy and thin. I had no leaks. The caulk product will have application temperature info on it.

Also - I can't recall the brand name - but I think some of the roof documentation from Keystone says to "only use products/caulking manufactured by XYZ Corp or it will void the warranty" and I can not remember the name of the product or the company right now. I used Dicor because that is what my local dealer had in stock...but you might want to double check me on this if you have warranty concerns. My warranty is gone.

I am not sure what Flex Fill is (I googled it and it looks like a roof coating). I have not done any hard research on the need for a roof coating, but it seems that the folks on this forum do not see the need for it.

I love it when manufacturers say "use this product only or your warranty is voided"
Law states if that is true, the manufacturer must provide the product for free.
Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #10
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I do what the manufacturer says also. Wash a couple times a year and keep an eye on the seams/joints. If they look iffy, wash and apply self leveling lap sealant.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On one of our previous Montana units, I used Liquid Rubber to recoat the roof. Hard work, dries fast, and I went thru some rollers and brushes; Looked great, still looked great when I sold the rig 3 years later. Liquid rubber has two products, one for stationary roofs, and one with elasticity for flex for rigs being towed a lot.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
If you call Keystone customer service with your vin number, they can tell you what your unit has in it, and what type of roof. They even emailed my build sheet to me.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #13
TCmontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27810
Thanks for all the replies. All are good suggestions and information. Thank you all hope to see you down the road. Be safe
TCmontana is offline   Reply With Quote