Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #1
Donster

M.O.C. #25623
Pulling a trailer

thinking of pulling my motorcycle trailer behind my,
385BR. Any concerns on this? I called Keystone they said my hitch is rated for 3000 pounds.

Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
As long as you have the 3,000lb towing hitch and not the 300lb accessory hitch you should be fine. Backing however will be near impossible. Doable, but takes much practice and even more patience. Depending on the length of your motorcycle trailer you could be over length in some states. The only time you will ever see it is when you make sharp turns, so proper securement is vital. A rear view camera is recommended. Sway could be an issue depending on how well the motorcycle is loaded.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
Donster

M.O.C. #25623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
As long as you have the 3,000lb towing hitch and not the 300lb accessory hitch you should be fine. Backing however will be near impossible. Doable, but takes much practice and even more patience. Depending on the length of your motorcycle trailer you could be over length in some states. The only time you will ever see it is when you make sharp turns, so proper securement is vital. A rear view camera is recommended. Sway could be an issue depending on how well the motorcycle is loaded.
Trailer is 10’ single axle enclosed, bike is loaded in center. Should be fine.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Double (aka Triple Towing) by State

Have a look at the link that I have provided below: Maximum Allowable RV Lengths - State Equipment and Road Use Law Summaries published by the RV Industry Association. Plus have a look at the driver's license restrictions imposed by your home state (if the license is not "legal" in your home state for the configuration, then it won't be legal elsewhere). And, as always, you can call ahead to the state's DMV or check their website.

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...V%20Length.pdf

2020 3931FB (every option but exterior kitchen)
2019 RAM 3500 DRW 4X4, HO Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle
B&W Companion 25K OEM Puck System
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
One bike, consider this as an option: Bird hood ornament another option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3548.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	8703  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Here is one option that worked well for my bike on our last Montana.

Also, if you have any warranty issues Keystone will probably deny them blaming you for overloading the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	8705  
Old 03-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Donster

M.O.C. #25623
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
One bike, consider this as an option: Bird hood ornament another option.
Lol don’t think I’m putting my $35.000 Harley on front of my truck. But thanks
Old 03-19-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
Donster

M.O.C. #25623
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRobert View Post
Have a look at the link that I have provided below: Maximum Allowable RV Lengths - State Equipment and Road Use Law Summaries published by the RV Industry Association. Plus have a look at the driver's license restrictions imposed by your home state (if the license is not "legal" in your home state for the configuration, then it won't be legal elsewhere). And, as always, you can call ahead to the state's DMV or check their website.

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...V%20Length.pdf
I’m good on all that info, thanks
Old 03-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I checked Keystone's web site for your make and model of trailer, and it does say in the specs the hitch is a 3000 pound "towing" hitch.

One thing you also need to consider, (at least in Indiana where double towing is allowed), any trailer over 3000 pounds has to have brakes. That 3000 pounds includes the weight of the trailer and all it's contents. If your utility trailer weighs 1000 pounds and you put 2000 pounds of payload in it (like a load of gravel), you are required to have brakes.

Don't know about the laws in your state, but it's something to consider. I'm pretty sure your covered utility trailer with a Harley inside is going to have some weight. Plus, you need to make sure the trailer is equipped with running light, brake lights, and turn signal lights too.

Being a double-tow rig, you will stand out from the crowd when on the road. You don't want to give any reason for law enforcement to pull you over. So, make sure everything is always functional, working, and within your state limits, and you'll be fine.

In Indiana, I see a lot of double tow. In Indiana you can legally tow a bumper pull behind another bumper pull as well as a bumper pull behind a fifth wheel. Both are common to see in this state.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #10
Donster

M.O.C. #25623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I checked Keystone's web site for your make and model of trailer, and it does say in the specs the hitch is a 3000 pound "towing" hitch.

One thing you also need to consider, (at least in Indiana where double towing is allowed), any trailer over 3000 pounds has to have brakes. That 3000 pounds includes the weight of the trailer and all it's contents. If your utility trailer weighs 1000 pounds and you put 2000 pounds of payload in it (like a load of gravel), you are required to have brakes.

Don't know about the laws in your state, but it's something to consider. I'm pretty sure your covered utility trailer with a Harley inside is going to have some weight. Plus, you need to make sure the trailer is equipped with running light, brake lights, and turn signal lights too.

Being a double-tow rig, you will stand out from the crowd when on the road. You don't want to give any reason for law enforcement to pull you over. So, make sure everything is always functional, working, and within your state limits, and you'll be fine.

In Indiana, I see a lot of double tow. In Indiana you can legally tow a bumper pull behind another bumper pull as well as a bumper pull behind a fifth wheel. Both are common to see in this state.
good info headed to Minnesota from Texas, I’ll be right at 65’. Have lights and trailer and bike combined weighs roughly 1800 pounds. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We've seen several of these in our travels. If we were going to tow anything behind the 5th wheel it would be like this.

You can back up easily with it and from what I understand it's not considered "double towing".

That being said we've lost count of the number of people double towing buggies on trailers in the SW. So I guess it kind of depends where you intend to go.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster View Post
Lol don’t think I’m putting my $35.000 Harley on front of my truck. But thanks
Oh damn, I didn't know it was a Harley.....lol. In that case a trailer is probably in order.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
Smart trailer or freedom hauler is what I am looking at. Like the concept just can not bring myself to spend 5 to 6 grand at the moment. Maybe next year. I will be looking to haul my trike with it behind my 3931 so I will be loooooong.
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I wouldn't worry too much about some bored trooper pulling you over to see if you are over the legal length. We full time and until 2020 pulled an enclosed trailer with a 43' motorhome which made our total length over 74 feet.

74' is actually several feet longer than commercial rigs, and that was our main concern.

Not sure how long you will be with your motorcycle trailer on the back of your fiver but if your total combination length is anywhere south of 70' then use caution when parking in rest areas because you will either stick out in front or in back.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
Willam J

M.O.C. #27218
One other thing to keep in mind; you need to add the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of tow vehicle, 5th Wheel, and trailer with motorcycle. If over 26,000, in most states you will need a CDL license to pull that rig.
Example; Truck=10,000+5th wheel=14,700+3,000 trailer=27,700....
Willam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post

You can back up easily with it and from what I understand it's not considered "double towing"...

Unless something has changed that I don't know about, in Indiana, if it has a wheel, and the wheel touches the ground, it's a trailer. It doesn't matter how it's attached to the vehicle pulling it. And if it's a "trailer" it has to have it's own license plate, turn signals, and stop lights. And, because it's a "trailer", in Indiana, this would be considered 'double tow'.... but! Double tow is perfectly legal in Indiana. So, as long as you have it properly licensed and lights, and meet the under 3000 pound limit, no brakes required, this is a good alternative. (at least in Indiana it is.)
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #17
Theo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25640
I’ve got your solution I have a Montana 38111 MS 2018
I added a mighty hauler lift to mine works great
We are going to buy a park model trailer where we winter so I don’t need to lift plus I’ve moved to a trike
I beefed up the hitch then you weld receivers on the frame an the unit fits right one
It’s for sell for $1100
Email me for more detailed an pictures
pfriedli@aol.com
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #18
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Another factor to consider is state driver license requirements. Here in California, you would need a “non-commercial” class A driver’s license to tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel. I’m sure each state has different requirements. It is very rare here that you see a trailer being towed behind a 5th wheel here in Cali.

D.
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #19
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
You should be fine
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
...Here in California, you would need a “non-commercial” class A driver’s license to tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel...
I beg to differ. You need a Commercial Class A (CDL) in CA to double tow.

Commercial Class A License (Not the greatest reference but beats reading the CA CDL booklet. A google Search will find many RV forum references supporting this requirement)

The Non-Commercial Class A license only allows you to tow a 5th wheel >15K.
Non-Commercial Class A License

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote