Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Wheel Bearing Repack

I have always repacked my own bearings but I just called a local RV facility for a quote. Was just told wheel bearing service is three hours labor for two axles, which is $375 in my area. Seems to me three hours is too long. What does the brain trust say?

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Probably by the time they get it in the shop jack it up do the work get it out $375 doesn’t seem to out of line.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I think the Crestview RV dealership closest to me was $415 last summer.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Paid $250 2 yrs ago at RV Outlet Mall in Georgetown. Talked to Tech and reminded him to grease all the zerk fittings and he said he had never seen zerk fittings on a 5ver before!!!!!! Started to drag my rig out of there but didn't cause they had always been pretty good in years past with all other issues. Maybe he was just pulling my leg? Said he had 19 yrs experience . How do we even know for sure that they do some of the work we take to them? Just have to trust them and cross your fingers and hope for the best sometimes if you don't know them well. Did my own this year....with G-son help.
Don't really care for Crestview...long story.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Seems reasonable.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I usually take about 3 hours from jacks down to jacks up. This includes inspecting the brakes and tires and torqueing the wheels. The hardest part is removing and installing the wheels. I use the 6 pt. lift so this saves me some time compared to using floor or bottle jacks. You are not being gouged on time it's just i think these dealers are to high on there hourly rate.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Buddy at work just had the wheel bearings on a single axle trailer done, it was $175. So your number seems inline.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Okay, thanks all. I guess I haven't been keeping up with the times because I've done this work myself for so many years.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If unable to physically do the work yourself find someone as a helper and give them $50 and tutor them as you observe. No way would I pay those fees to clean and repack wheel bearings
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
So, I know some of you recommended I do the work myself, but it really is a messy PITA, in my opinion. Instead, I took it to a recommended RV repair facility nearby. They told me I needed all new backing plates and hubs (drums), for $2,300. Tried to tell me the seals failed. I went and looked. The insides have a lot of brake dust, not grease. The bearings have not been serviced since new, so I knew they had not been over-greased. The shoes could stand to be replaced but are not glazed or greasy, nor are the drums. The wires on one of the four magnets are broken. Of course, the backing plates are Dexter Never-adjust so they're expensive at $250-325 a pair if I buy them, but it's not needed. I told them to put it back together; I'll do the dirty work myself. A can of brake cleaner ($6), four pair of shoes ($120), four seals ($50), and a pair of magnets ($40). So, for $216, plus the minimum one hour labor ($125), maybe two, that they'll charge when I pick it up, I get to do the messy work myself, grrrr.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
This is exactly why i try to do what i can while i can. You wouldn't get this job done for 1 or 2 hours labor. There is nothing honest about rv repair facilities. Don't forget to add 10.00 for the grease lol.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
So, I know some of you recommended I do the work myself, but it really is a messy PITA, in my opinion. Instead, I took it to a recommended RV repair facility nearby. They told me I needed all new backing plates and hubs (drums), for $2,300. Tried to tell me the seals failed. I went and looked. The insides have a lot of brake dust, not grease. The bearings have not been serviced since new, so I knew they had not been over-greased. The shoes could stand to be replaced but are not glazed or greasy, nor are the drums. The wires on one of the four magnets are broken. Of course, the backing plates are Dexter Never-adjust so they're expensive at $250-325 a pair if I buy them, but it's not needed. I told them to put it back together; I'll do the dirty work myself. A can of brake cleaner ($6), four pair of shoes ($120), four seals ($50), and a pair of magnets ($40). So, for $216, plus the minimum one hour labor ($125), maybe two, that they'll charge when I pick it up, I get to do the messy work myself, grrrr.
Gut it out and do it knowing that you are not letting them screw you over. You will know the job is done right and it will feel good at the end of the day.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #13
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Speaking of wheel bearings and seals, where can I find what seals I need for our 2011 3400RL with Dexter 7k axles before removing the wheel? I don't have room at home to work on it, so I need to be as expeditious as possible when I start the work in our storage area. Thanks!

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:00 AM   #14
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnracin View Post
Speaking of wheel bearings and seals, where can I find what seals I need for our 2011 3400RL with Dexter 7k axles before removing the wheel? I don't have room at home to work on it, so I need to be as expeditious as possible when I start the work in our storage area. Thanks!
This is what mine uses. Think yours are the same: https://www.etrailer.com/Seals-for-T.../RG06-070.html

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #15
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Eastern Marine has the dexter 10-36 seals for 5.10 each plus shipping. There are a lot of 10-36 seals out there but this is the actual dexter seal. I have used these many times and they work and fit perfectly.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #16
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
Paid $250 2 yrs ago at RV Outlet Mall in Georgetown. Talked to Tech and reminded him to grease all the zerk fittings and he said he had never seen zerk fittings on a 5ver before!!!!!! Started to drag my rig out of there but didn't cause they had always been pretty good in years past with all other issues. Maybe he was just pulling my leg? Said he had 19 yrs experience . How do we even know for sure that they do some of the work we take to them? Just have to trust them and cross your fingers and hope for the best sometimes if you don't know them well. Did my own this year....with G-son help.
Hi there, I have a 2014 3850 fl there are zerk fittings on the spring eyes 8 total very important to keep them greased!✌��️����
Also I took my Montana to Les Schwab tire, for bearing service if I remember correctly it was under $200.
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
Traveltimers2
Established Member

M.O.C. #19203
I own 2 5th wheels - 30 foot wildcat maxx and montana 40 foot 5th wheel. had both units full service new bearing, packed, greased etc etc. ON first trip to California, one wheel locked up. Thank goodness we were only 2 blocks from our intended rv park.

Here is the caveat. Original work was done in Vancouver Washington LES SCHWAB. Had lifetime guarantee they put out. So, once I got unhooked at rv park in calif, called the closest LS and they said bring it right over. Did, and they were 5 miles away. I pulled in, they were on it in 5 minutes. End result, Vancouver LS screwed up the job by to over tithening bolts. LS in California put on new bearings (all four corners) repacked and new pads. They also found a default in LS tire I had purchased. Total time at LS was just over 3 hours and the cost to me NADA, LS stood behind the guarantee totally.
My thoughts would be no matter who does work, there could be lots of cost differences and workmanship. So, beware of who when and where. Safe travels to all!
Traveltimers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #18
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
When you talk about RV Outlet mall doing work, run like a bat outta hell. I gave them two chances and that was two too many. They charged me $3600 to pull a bedroom slide and repair it. Got it home after a 6 week wait and the slide wasn’t even fixed. It broke again immediately. Called them up and explained what happened and they told me it would be two months before they could look at it again.... Called my lawyer and asked him to look into it for me. He called back and said there are so many law suits filed against them it would be years before we would get anything. IF anything.
Crestview is not much better. However when the older lady ran their parts department it was a great place if you needed something immediately. Not so much since she left...
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #19
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
I had my dealer repack mine. I got it home and checked it for myself.
Not a drop of grease in any wheel.
I sued them and won all my money back.
The fact is if you can see them doing it, it’s not done. I’m sorry, I don’t trust any of them anymore. Not with my life.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #20
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I had my dealer repack mine. I got it home and checked it for myself.
Not a drop of grease in any wheel.
I sued them and won all my money back.
The fact is if you can see them doing it, it’s not done. I’m sorry, I don’t trust any of them anymore. Not with my life.
I always try to be right there with the RV or truck anytime I take one in for maintenance cause I have caught them making too many mistakes(?) or shortcuts, but the problem is with the RV shops most of them want you to drop it off and we'll call when we finish...it might be a week or two so just leave it here so we can get it in sooner...well, that way they can do it any way they want to and you can never prove that they didn't do it right...until you'r broke down on the side of the road.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote