Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quad Drone at Quartzsite

Here is a link to the drone that took the photo. There is a lot more info and hard ward required. He used is IPhone for the photo and also some telemetry read outs. He had a WIFI repeater. He was using a lower grade camera than the Go Pro. His did have a gimble on it but only about 20 to 30 degree look down. Not 90.
I hope this helps

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It still was very cool.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Thanks John. I get the picture. No pun intended!!!
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
That's great John, thank you so much for getting the details. I was in the UAV industry for 10 years or so, but didn't see this little guy. I was impressed with the photos and glad you guys took the time to upload them. Looks like you're all having a blast!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Here's the link to B&H Photo who appears to have the best price for the quadcopter. You have to supply your own GoPro camera.

On a side note, I am planning to purchase this exact same quadcopter, but opted to purchase a lesser unit first so that I could learn to fly it. Now I've spent $50, and I've learned it is extremely tricky to learn how to fly. I hope to show up a Quartzsite next year with my quadcopter, as well as hours of experience so that I can hopefully shoot photos as good as these.

http://bhpho.to/17X1mhs
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

Here's the link to B&H Photo who appears to have the best price for the quadcopter. You have to supply your own GoPro camera.

On a side note, I am planning to purchase this exact same quadcopter, but opted to purchase a lesser unit first so that I could learn to fly it. Now I've spent $50, and I've learned it is extremely tricky to learn how to fly. I hope to show up a Quartzsite next year with my quadcopter, as well as hours of experience so that I can hopefully shoot photos as good as these.

http://bhpho.to/17X1mhs
There are some great simulators out there, like Phoenix 4 and RealFlight that will help a lot with control. Blade makes a Nano QX that came out recently and is a great little stabilized $70 trainer you can fly indoors. Keep in mind the larger quads have things like lost link return home via GPS, so that will save you many times. I haven't completed all my research, but blade offers a quad that will also carry a go-pro and stabilized turret for quite a bit less, when I checked locally. May be another option for you.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #7
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Okay....I bit the bullet, I ordered the $1200 version of the Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter with Integrated FPV Camera.

Investigating the site link I posted yesterday, I discovered the B&H Photo has the second generation of the quadcopter with a built-in 14 mega-pixel camera and a WiFi link to a smartphone so I can actually see what the camera sees with only a 1/10 second delay right on my iPhone 5. This is just about everything I wanted to make flying these things easier.

I've got flying my $50 quadcopter down fairly well, but that's only when flying away from me, since then right is right and left is left, but when it's flying toward me is when I get screwed up because right becomes left, and left become right. But if I can "see" out of the front of the quadcopter I'll have it down pat.

Plus it has a mode that if you let go of all the controls it will stabilize itself and another mode will fly it back to you automatically based on its built-in GPS navigation.

I can't wait to try it out. And yes, I promise to bring it to Quartzsite next year (if I haven't smashed it to smithereens by then).
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainer

Okay....I bit the bullet, I ordered the $1200 version of the Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter with Integrated FPV Camera.

Investigating the site link I posted yesterday, I discovered the B&H Photo has the second generation of the quadcopter with a built-in 14 mega-pixel camera and a WiFi link to a smartphone so I can actually see what the camera sees with only a 1/10 second delay right on my iPhone 5. This is just about everything I wanted to make flying these things easier.

I've got flying my $50 quadcopter down fairly well, but that's only when flying away from me, since then right is right and left is left, but when it's flying toward me is when I get screwed up because right becomes left, and left become right. But if I can "see" out of the front of the quadcopter I'll have it down pat.

Plus it has a mode that if you let go of all the controls it will stabilize itself and another mode will fly it back to you automatically based on its built-in GPS navigation.

I can't wait to try it out. And yes, I promise to bring it to Quartzsite next year (if I haven't smashed it to smithereens by then).
Let me know what you think of your new bird!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I predict a new toy for John!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I recently purchased the Yuneec Q500 Typhoon. It is a new quadcopter made by Yuneec Electric Aviation. I just flew it for the first time this weekend. It is great and real easy to fly. It comes with a Full 1080P HD 60 fps camera mounted on a 3 axis brushless gimble that will also take 12 MP still shots. It has a built in android touch screen display in the remote. It is incredible.Here is the link for all the info on it: http://www.q500typhoon.com/