Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #21
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Shouldn't warranty cover this, of did you buy it more than 12 months ago?

StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
N. Hall
Established Member

M.O.C. #26717
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
So my rear A/C unit is clearly labeled as a heat pump. When I select "heat" on the iN-Command system it blows cold air. I finally got time to open up the A/C unit and open the plenum to get access to the control box. My HVAC units are comprised of three components: the roof top unit itself, a zone control box and a gateway. The gateway is there to allow communication with the iN-Command system.

I found that the control box is a "cooling only" controller That's right, a cooling only controller on a heat pump... what gives? Must have been a mistake, right?

Also, I have the PCS, power control system, which is more-or-less a smart breaker system which will shed loads by priority if the power draw is too high. I have found that the A/C compressors do not shed when the system shows them as shed.

Again, the rear unit controller does not have the "shed" terminals required to allow this to work. (I still need to check the front one) The wires required for this are connected at the PCS system, they must have left them loose at the HVAC unit (now I need to look for those).

It would seem, in my humble opinion, that Keystone installed the wrong controller.

I tried to call Keystone Customer Service, what a joke! They were not helpful at all! They could not tell me where the controller was located (had to find it myself, hidden in the air plenum), nor could they tell me the controller that is supposed to be installed for my unit with a heat pump. (I had to find that part number on my own) They could not even tell me if they had the right controller available in stock.

I called the dealer I bought it from and they said they may have run out of the heat pump controllers, or they may not have intended for the heat pump to work with my setup. This makes no sense, why install a heat pump and then not the proper controller?

Looks like I will have to take it to a local dealer and hope they know what they are doing. I have already done the diagnosis. I cannot find the correct controller in stock anywhere so I will probably have to take it there a second time while I wait for the right part to come in.

I am so frustrated with Keystone. Customer service is just a referral service to their dealers. !!NO HELP AT ALL!!

Sorry, just venting... Mike
Keystone only cares about selling units, not about helping buyers get issues fixed. I had so much trouble from Keystone on a new unit I bought in 2014, that unit had a pin hope in the hot water tank. We were full timers in the 3850FL Montana. We complained and had the dealer check a soft spot in our floor, they checked it and said it was within spec's and wouldn't do anything. I told them we were full timers and 5hey said nothing was wrong with our unit. After a few months living in our unit, working in western North Dakota in winter, our unit really started to have issues. Neither Keystone or the water tank manufacturer would do anything about our unit once spring arrived. Our unit was ruined with the leak in the hot water tank. The dealership ordered us a new unit, a 2015 model year. It still cost us a lot of money in expenses in hotel and other bills while the dealership, Keystone and hot water tank manufacturer argued over who was responsible. What a joke these companies are, they care nothing about the buyers of their units. We were out a lot of extra expenses and payment's unitl a replacement arrived.
N. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #23
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
Can you send me the pics? Thanks
pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #24
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Mike,

I replaced mine myself and repaired a wire to the gateway also had to replace the OD Temp relay. All pretty simple stuff to do. Be sure to check the OD Temp relay as that could be an issue too. If you PM me I can email you some photos that m8ght help you check that relay (maybe same guy wired yours at the factory).
Could you post those relay photos please? I have a front air problem that I think is relay related.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:25 PM   #25
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Yes, I think that warranty should cover this, I just don’t trust the local dealer network.

I installed my new 9630-756 controller on the rear heat pump and Now the heat pump blows warm air on electric heat. I have not connected the shed wires as I am waiting on AirXcel to tell me that the way Keystone is wiring it is acceptable. I still feel the -756 is the better controller for this shed system. It is set up with dedicated terminals for shed control. I will let you know what they say.

Best, Mike
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #26
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Here is the photo of the INCORRECTLY wire OD Temp Relay (purple and orange wires are reversed and the white wrap on the coils below the orange wire is discolored) and the schematic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_140347.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	9117   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_140438.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	9118  
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #27
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
So that relay was wired backwards on yours, amazing you found it yourself.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #28
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Well, I knew current wasn't passing thru the old relay so I replaced it. Thought it would be smart to have a photo to wire back the new one. When I installed the new one and called for the compressor it buzzed loudly and I knew that wasn't right. So, I picked up the panel with the schematic and it jumped out at me the wires were connected wrong on the old one (my career in commercial development involved detail plans across all disciplines - plus I started controlling my home lighting by computer in 1984, so I'm a bit of a geek). At least the schematic was right there for me to see and presumbly the person that wired the old one could see it too.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #29
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
Well, I knew current wssn't passing thru the old relay so I replaced it. Thought it would be smart to have a photo to wire back the new one. When I installed the new one and called for the compressor it buzzed loudly and I knew that wasn't right. So, I picked up the panel with the schematic and it jumped out at me the wires were connected wrong on the old one (my career in commercial development involved detail plans across all disciplines - plus I started controlling my home lighting by computer in 1984, so I'm a bit of a geek). At least the schematic was right there for me to see and presumbly the person that wired the old one could see it too.
Me too, I was a communications tech in the 70s, 80s and we repaired to the component level not like today. Glad you spotted it, I think it was a great find most of us would assume the factory wiring was right until we had tried everything else.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #30
SLB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27261
Just checked my AC/heat pump today and have the same issue NO HEAT Looked at the numbers and the controller is the 9430-752. So I guess I need the other number. What a pain in the blank this is. We bought our 2021 3121 Legacy last September. Thanks for your hard work on discovering this as no dealers would. Keystone needs to do better. I had way too many issues. You cant get into a dealer and if you did slim chance that the repair would be done correctly. Thanks again
SLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #31
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Ok, a quick summary so far: my unit came with a 9430-752 controller which cannot control a heat pump, it cools only. Matt got me a 9630-756 from the factory which I tested and it does work with a heat pump, both cooling and heating.

My PCS Shed wiring was not connected at either AC unit. There is a blue wire coming from the gateway that is for a ground connection. It was wired both to ground and one of the shed wires. I thought Keystone was intending to interrupt the blue wire for shed control, this would cut the ground to the gateway. I tried wiring it up that way to see if it would work. Ground wire connected to one shed wire, blue wire to the other shed wire.

While this does shed the AC, it doesn’t work as it should. When the PCS sheds the AC load, it kills both the fan and compressor, then when the iN-Command panel sees the gateway restart, it simply resets the AC to Off. So that’s not right. I am curious if anyone’s AC shed control is working and how yours is wired.

I did get my hands on a 9630-755 controller, heat pump capable, iN-Command compatible, with the shed terminals. This one works properly! When the PCS sheds the AC load, only the compressor shuts off, the PCS waits 2 min to turn it back on, the it takes another 1-2 minutes for the compressor to restart. Works in either heating or cooling modes.

The factory needs to get their act together on this issue.

Best, Mike
Old 08-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #32
SLB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27261
I had the new controller , 9630-756, installed but the Heat pump runs when the in command is set for gas only. Is there a dip switch setting that needs to be changed?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #33
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
My recollection is that there is a heatpump jumper as well as zone number jumper in the controller. The .json file for my rig has the rear heatpump unit programmed as unit 3 (1 is front and the optional middle unit is 2).
Old 08-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #34
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
I can confirm what RipNC said, there are jumpers for HP vs non-HP and for Zone number, there are no dip switches. I am not sure what could cause the heat pump to run when calling for propane gas only.

I do know the propane heater will run when set to electric heat if the temperature difference between setpoint and actual is more than 3-4 degrees.

Good luck, Mike
Old 08-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #35
SLB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27261
Thanks for the information. I'll check with Coleman when I have the chance to see if they have any information on why the heat pump run with the in-command on gas.