Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #1
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Super Solar Flex - Inverter Load Support

As I work through my HVAC controller and shed issues I have pushed a bit further to understand some of the other features of this system. It turns out the PCS manual is a bit out of date and was written for the older version of the Magnum inverter.

I was curious why I did not see the "Bat Charger" and "Inverter" status indicators on the PCS panel as shown in the manual and how reduced charging rates and inverter load support work with the current set up.

These features are controlled solely from the Magnum control panel. You can set the maximum amps available from shore power on this panel. If you are plugged into a small generator or your garage, there will be only 15 amps of AC power available. Once you set this max level on the Magnum panel it will automatically reduce the charging rate to the batteries if you are running other loads to keep the draw below 15 amps. The inverter must be on Standby and the charger should be On.

If you are running one A/C unit and want to start the vacuum or microwave, the Magnum inverter will pull from the batteries to support the additional load over the 15 amp threshold. I tested it and it works. When the vacuum/microwave is turned off and the load drops below the 15 amp threshold, the system will return to charging the batteries (at a reduced rate if other loads are still running).

The key to making this work, and this is not clear in the manuals, is that you need to set the shore power amperage on the PCS panel to 30 amps in this instance. If you set the PCS to 15 amps, then it will start to shed loads once it sees more than 15 amps and load support will not work. Set the Magnum panel to 15 amps max, and the PCS to 30 amps max, and load support will work without shedding any loads until you hit 30 amps.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards, Mike

MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
You might want to download the Magnum manuals. The hybrid functionality is explained pretty well in them as this is the backbone functionality of the hybrid behavior.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Yes, I have the Magnum manuals, it is the PCS manual that is a bit confusing...

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #4
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Mike,

Thank you for the research and write ups on the Super Solar systems. You continue to help us better understand these amazing Montanas.

Thanks,

Ron
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Random Shedding

Yes, the SSF is pretty awesome, but there is a learning curve! I’ll be glad to work out all the bugs in mine.

Today I fixed my random shedding problem! When on inverter only, the PCS was shedding all the loads every 15-20 minutes or so, waiting 2 min and then resetting them.

There are two (red lighted) relays in the SSF box that provide a +12v signal to the PCS system when on inverter only. When it sees this 12v signal the panel shows “25a Generator”. After tracing back the wires, there are two green wires coming out of the SSF box. One is labeled “+12v” and the other “to PCS”.

The two 120v relays inside the box are wired to provide a signal of 0v when no power (no relays lit), 0v when on shore power (both relays lit), and 12v when on inverter (front relay only lit). I was getting a floating voltage reading anywhere from 3-11 volts on this signal wire when inverting. The PCS regards anything below 5v as off so it would shed everything.

One of the relays was bad. Matt sent me two more. Replaced he front one. FIXED!! Thanks Matt!

Took me a while to figure this issue out so I hope this helps.

Best, Mike