Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Repainting front cap

As I write this, our entire front cap is getting redone. All the factory stickers are coming off, the tan color and surrounding greenish/gray is going to be repainted. The large MONTANA on the front will be painted and then the entire cap will get several coats of what the painter calls a very heavy duty clear coat, which is much more durable than what the factory did. None of the other stickers will be put back on, which in my opinion will give our trailer a very clean look. Prior to the body shop getting the trailer, I removed all the front LED lights and wiring. Once I get it back, the front cap and the porch awning lights will be replaced with new multi-color LED's I got from Boogey Lights. I've already wired in the two controllers for the new LED's, which will be controlled by either remote or my phone. Anybody else go through this process or change anything on their front cap? Just curious if anybody did any custom or personalized touches?

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
The only custom feature that I had done on ours when the front cap was painted was to leave the mountain scene off as it, IMO, is too busy and just leaving Montana there. The rest of the decals are still there as the side ones terminate in a point on the cap.

Our cap was done with DuPont (now Axalta) Chromacolor along with their clear coat. Six years later, still shines nicely with no deterioration seen. Heavy doesn't do the job though a top quality product will. If it's too heavy a clear coat, you may find that it can yellow or worse, crack. The paint manufacturer will have the proper guidelines.

Post some photos when done
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Let's hope the shop you selected is versed in painting large fiberglass panels. Fiberglass moves different in temperature swings than does metal. Products may be more advanced nowadays, but a few years back heavy clear coats crazed and yellowed after a while.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Let's hope the shop you selected is versed in painting large fiberglass panels. Fiberglass moves different in temperature swings than does metal. Products may be more advanced nowadays, but a few years back heavy clear coats crazed and yellowed after a while.

That's all they do. From TT, 5th wheels to full blown million dollar diesel pusher motor homes.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 04-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
The only custom feature that I had done on ours when the front cap was painted was to leave the mountain scene off as it, IMO, is too busy and just leaving Montana there. The rest of the decals are still there as the side ones terminate in a point on the cap.

Our cap was done with DuPont (now Axalta) Chromacolor along with their clear coat. Six years later, still shines nicely with no deterioration seen. Heavy doesn't do the job though a top quality product will. If it's too heavy a clear coat, you may find that it can yellow or worse, crack. The paint manufacturer will have the proper guidelines.

Post some photos when done
Yeah Dave I will post when done, and we're leaving off the mountain scene as well.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
bartman ... I know most all painting is "base coat / clear coat" nowadays. The base coat is a dull color coat ... the clear coat shot over it brings on the shine. The only thing I was concerned about in your post was mentioning a "heavy duty clear coat" which I took as a "thick coat". Like I also mentioned ... products probably have changed in recent years, but a thick clear coat a few years back sure gave the paint job a deep color and shine, but it eventually crazed and yellowed. Light clear coat applications seldom have that issue. If "heavy duty clear coat" meant a special clear coat formula and not anything to do with thickness ... disregard my concern.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
bartman ... I know most all painting is "base coat / clear coat" nowadays. The base coat is a dull color coat ... the clear coat shot over it brings on the shine. The only thing I was concerned about in your post was mentioning a "heavy duty clear coat" which I took as a "thick coat". Like I also mentioned ... products probably have changed in recent years, but a thick clear coat a few years back sure gave the paint job a deep color and shine, but it eventually crazed and yellowed. Light clear coat applications seldom have that issue. If "heavy duty clear coat" meant a special clear coat formula and not anything to do with thickness ... disregard my concern.

Yeah, I meant to say several coats of a heavy duty clear coat, that will keep shining for many many years. The painter said it has an additive to keep it strong, resist any fading, and provide a very durable finish. It will all be done before the end of the month. We have another trip planned the first week of May.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I’ve been thinking of having that done, too. My Montana is a 2006, with the original decals and finish. My question is, does removing the decals after that long leave a “shadow” that ill be visible through the new paint? Also, anyone have a ballpark figure on cost?

Thanks
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Scatter shot, I guarantee you will have a ghost of the decals after removing them on your 06. Me and others have tried on newer units to buff the ghost away with limited success if any. I guess painting over would eliminate the ghost, but I can't say for sure because I have always replaced the decals eliminating the issue.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #10
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Scatter Shot, I feel that any reputable shop doing the redo will prep the surface correctly after removing all the stickers, which probably entails sanding the surface, filling any defects, priming, paint, and then clear coating. My little project is costing $4,400.00.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
All of the decals on my 2011 unit are in near-perfect condition. Are you tribute that in part to it being gel coated instead of fyelon.
But the big difference is how and where they are stored when not in use. 90% of my trailers life has been spent in a pole building which sees no rain sun or snow.
As for those that are full timing or even long timing the only thing you can really do is keep it washed and waxed up.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #13
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yeah, mine has lived outside for all of it’s 15 (almost 16) years now, and the decals are in really poor shape,
Old 05-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Well, I got it back today. We're really happy how it turned out. The painter still has a few little details to do, but we needed it for a trip this week. One thing we added was the model number of our trailer to the front 3560RL. The Montana and the 3560RL are painted on, and clear coated over After we get back, it's getting all new LED lighting in the CAP and the awning. I already have the brains of the two new LED controllers wired in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3766 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	9082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3767 (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	9083  
Old 05-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #15
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
That turned out beautifully! Congrats.