Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Safety recall.

Picked up our 2021 Montana High Country 295RL in April this year . Received a safety recall on the 120 volt electrical non door side slide . Seem if you live in a wet climate or have driven through rain the 120 volt junction box could get wet & cause a short or fire . Fix is to drop the coroplas on that side & move juction box higher up in frame . Said 1 hr. Fix ? Anyone else receive this ?

81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Good Lord, one would think that if something wasn't supposed to get wet, they would put it in a weatherproof Box? Would the extra 5.00 break the bank?

Mark
Old 07-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #3
DelawareDead
Established Member

M.O.C. #28747
I received this as well on our 2021 HC 331RL. Have an appt at CW on August 3rd to have it repaired. Always something!!

2021 High Country 331RL
2017 F-350 Lariat 6.7L CC LB
DelawareDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Good Lord, one would think that if something wasn't supposed to get wet, they would put it in a weatherproof Box? Would the extra 5.00 break the bank?

Mark
I agree . Thought the coroplas seals the underbelly? If driving in rain could short the wires due to water intrusion, wonder what else is being damaged?
Old 07-01-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Michael-- If you go under your unit you would see that the coroplast is just nailed or screwed to the frame and is not sealed from water getting in. There have also been reports both here on the Forum and also on the Facebook Montana Owners section that some have been getting water in the underbelly via syphoning between the frame and the coroplast while driving in the rain. They have taped and caulked the coroplast to the frame to solve the problem.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SHOVELHEAD View Post
Picked up our 2021 Montana High Country 295RL in April this year . Received a safety recall on the 120 volt electrical non door side slide . Seem if you live in a wet climate or have driven through rain the 120 volt junction box could get wet & cause a short or fire . Fix is to drop the coroplas on that side & move juction box higher up in frame . Said 1 hr. Fix ? Anyone else receive this ?
1 hour fix, 3 - 4 months wait to get an appt for warranty work
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
I received the recall for my 295RL 2021 series and I met with the same response with dealers backed up or not wanting to do the work due i didn't buy the unit at any of the dealers close to where I live. Called customer service and they were more than accommodating with supporting a private fix it shop doing the work as long as the proper paperwork was done before hand. Just an FYI. I think Keystone is starting to realize their dealerships are becoming overwhelmed and having bad reviews is not good for business. At least I am happy they were willing to support a "non authorized" shop doing recall work. We live in the pacific northwest where it rains a lot and this fix is a must.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
1 hour fix, 3 - 4 months wait to get an appt for warranty work
Got an appointment today for a September 8th repair . Since i live 117 miles away from dealer i was told i could wait on it & tow back home same day. Also discovered a broken off grease zerk fitting on 1 of the wet bolts on suspension. Could probably drill , extract & replace myself but since I'm taking it in for warranty gonna have them fix it.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Take new grease fittings from an auto parts store you won't believe how tiny the passage is on he ones you have. No wonder they're hard to grease!
Old 07-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
This is actually not surprising due to the way they build them. They put all this wiring, plumbing, hydraulic lines, in with the frame upside down, nail the Coroplast on then turn it right-side up.
If you ever take the bottom Coroplast down all this falls out.
Have a look on YouTube for the factory tour video.
(not my picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coroplast down.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	9694  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:44 PM   #11
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
This is actually not surprising due to the way they build them. They put all this wiring, plumbing, hydraulic lines, in with the frame upside down, nail the Coroplast on then turn it right-side up.
If you ever take the bottom Coroplast down all this falls out.
Have a look on YouTube for the factory tour video.
(not my picture).
Yup, just did that and about 2 lbs of sawdust also came out! Wasn't fun in a windy climate. I isolated corresponding wires and zip tied them together. I vacuumed up all the extra screws and the rest of the sawdust that didn't come down! Good to go now!
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #12
81SHOVELHEAD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit The Road View Post
Yup, just did that and about 2 lbs of sawdust also came out! Wasn't fun in a windy climate. I isolated corresponding wires and zip tied them together. I vacuumed up all the extra screws and the rest of the sawdust that didn't come down! Good to go now!
Interesting point. Vacuumed up all the extra screws. Wonder how many of those extra screws are falling out going down the road adding to the China bomb theory. ?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #13
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Good point! They all seemed to be self tapping so maybe they would hold better?
B&W 20k companion hitch
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:27 AM   #14
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
Scary

Just trading in our 06 2955rl after 15 yesrs for a 295rl high country Montana. Reading this is making me scared
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote