Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #21
fleeb1
Established Member

M.O.C. #29563
Also a lot for the B&W companion switch - I’ll take a look at that one too!

fleeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #22
Bradpact

M.O.C. #29655
Reese Sidewinder pinbox. Been using one for 10 years and will not change. Can always turn 90+ degrees with a short bed, it doesn't take up bed space - always stays directly behind the king pin with the wedge, practically maint free, can be hooked up at any angle (as long as you rotate the pin box to match) and I like to swing it to the left or right when in storage or at the campground so the pin box is not sticking out past the nose of the camper. Only downside...Not compatible with B&W gooseneck companion, must have puck or rails.
Bradpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #23
patvogelman

M.O.C. #24417
Same truck and trailer 2019 version. I went with the pull rite slider.
Still very happy with it no worries works beautifully.
patvogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
Regarding Andersen hitch....
Since my truck has NO excess hitch weight capacity, I do not haul anything in the box, therefore the footprint is of no concern to me. I believe the structural integrity of the aluminum hitch is completely satisfactory. The ease to remove it it super important to me. We travel from Alberta to Arizona for the winter months and remove the hitch as soon as we arrive, parked in one spot for 3 months. Again, due to limited payload capacity of my 2500, I have the Andersen hitch set up to have the pin load directly over the truck axle. The front of the trailer does get close to the back window when the truck and trailer on different planes. The ease to unhook from any angle is real handy for me as the truck can get real close to jack-knifed by the time I have the rig in the exact spot the I need in my driveway. I back in 90 degrees off of the back alley.
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #25
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
I tow my 2019 3121RL with the B&W Companion manual slider. It has the GM OEM mount system. I tow with a 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 SRW with a standard (6.5') bed.

The hitch is very good. I fully recommend it. It is very well built and as the OP noted, it is very easy to use (though I still do the pull test). I rarely use the slider, but am glad I had it a couple of times backing in up hill with a tight turn.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #26
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Fleeb1, I'm currently using the Anderson with no issues, but I am going to go to the Reese Goosebox in the very near future. I'll show you a picture of it in my truck bed. My first 5th wheel was a Jazz Thor, where the front caps were more squared off and I did have a slider. In the 10 years that I owned it, I only needed the slider once. With the newer 5th wheels, the front caps are rounded and give you more turning radius, and basically make the sliders unnecessary. The Anderson hitch with the safety chain setup, and their rubber mat gets the price closely approaching that of the Reese setup. Just something to think of. I've never read one complaint about the Reese Goosebox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3238.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	10170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2184.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	10171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3774.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	10173  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #27
fleeb1
Established Member

M.O.C. #29563
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Fleeb1, I'm currently using the Anderson with no issues, but I am going to go to the Reese Goosebox in the very near future. I'll show you a picture of it in my truck bed. My first 5th wheel was a Jazz Thor, where the front caps were more squared off and I did have a slider. In the 10 years that I owned it, I only needed the slider once. With the newer 5th wheels, the front caps are rounded and give you more turning radius, and basically make the sliders unnecessary. The Anderson hitch with the safety chain setup, and their rubber mat gets the price closely approaching that of the Reese setup. Just something to think of. I've never read one complaint about the Reese Goosebox.
Very helpful thank you! Can you confirm you have the “short” HD bed which is just over 6.5 ft vs the long bed?

I have heard similar reports of the newer more rounded front trailers won’t need a slider as much - but appreciate the photos and insights
Old 09-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #28
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
I have a short bed RAM 3500 with a Curt E16 slider hitch. We've needed to slide into maneuvering mode a few times to handle sharp turns in some parks and while backing into a few spots. It's been a decent ride, but sometimes hitching/unhitching can be difficult if the truck and trailer aren't lined up pretty straight. Also it is quite heavy and definitely will take 2 people to lift in and out of the bed, but otherwise the hooking up is easy. All in all, I will probably upgrade at some point to something a little easier to unhook, though since we full time in long term spots, we don't have to deal with it very often.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #29
Whitty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22291
Curt Q20

We have a 2016 GM 3500, SB, SRW, with a non sliding hitch, with the factory hitch bed. And the 3120RL. Absolutely no issues with hitting the trailer in tight turned back ups. That being said, you could hit the trailer if you jack knifed it. With everything I do, I wouldn’t spend extra to get a slider. And I have a neighbour that wants to video the tight spot I back into to show his buddy.
1964 BWF
Whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #30
fleeb1
Established Member

M.O.C. #29563
Awesome great to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitty View Post
We have a 2016 GM 3500, SB, SRW, with a non sliding hitch, with the factory hitch bed. And the 3120RL. Absolutely no issues with hitting the trailer in tight turned back ups. That being said, you could hit the trailer if you jack knifed it. With everything I do, I wouldn’t spend extra to get a slider. And I have a neighbour that wants to video the tight spot I back into to show his buddy.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #31
Howard and Kathy
Established Member

M.O.C. #23077
i don't think the Anderson hitch takes up any more bed space than a regular hitch. I think the strength of the hitch appears to be more than enough for for a 3121. When i put the hitch in you can raise and lower the ball to make the height correct and if you turn the head 180 degrees ( the orange connection that bolts to the trailer) you will have more than enough for any turning radius.
Howard and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3121rl, 3500, hitch