Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
jdeputy

M.O.C. #27914
Shore Power Issue

We recently picked up our 2021 Montana 3121RL with the Super Solar package. While staying in a park with 50 amp power, we lost shore power twice.

On both occasions, we had both air conditioners, refrigerator, tv, and a couple lights running. The shore power would drop and everything would turn off.

The first time, we checked the post and the breakers were not thrown and the surge protector we had at the post showed that we had power. The power control panel showed "No Service". We unplugged the surge protector at the post (to take it out of the equation), plugged the cord into the post and cycled the breakers at the post. While we were trying to figure it out power came back on in the unit.

About an hour later, the same thing happened. This time I noticed that the green light that indicates "shore power" was either out or very dim. As time passed, the light got brighter and shore power eventually came back on.

Since we have the solar package, we were able to maintain activities.

Any ideas why the AC power was dropping out?

Thank you in advance for your insight and assistance.

Have a great day,

John
jdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have the hard wired progressive monitor and it shows the amps per line and voltage. Does you surge protector not show anything? When things drop off on my system, the voltage has dropped to under 105 and the monitor shuts things off for 3 minutes. The parks that this occurs in have poor power to the posts, and when everyone is running the A/C the power would drop from 115/118 down to 105 or 106 and when I turned on an AC it would drop more and shut down.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
John, go to your EMS and scroll to find voltage as Tom suggested. You can then see if you are having a power issue or a hardware issue. We had an issue doing moochdocking when our unit was new. If you have good power, then it is either your internal surge guard/voltage protection or transfer switch. I am looking forward to rally to attend Matt Wolkin’s talks on the Solar Systems. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
jdeputy

M.O.C. #27914
After some more research, I have settled on a low voltage situation caused the issue. Basically the rig was protecting itself. This is my first unit with such protection.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the rally this year, but will be there next year.

Please let me know what pearls of wisdom Matt has to offer. So far I love our system, but may need to add some more batteries to deal with the hot weather down here.
jdeputy is offline   Reply With Quote