Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
A new way to hang pictures

We have just redecorated our bedroom in our Montana. I wanted to share our new headboard design with you. It's a great way to display photos of our loved ones and fall asleep with all of them on our minds.

The headboard cover is made of a denim weight fabric with photo pockets made of a medium weight plastic. I framed the pockets with contrasting cotton fabric and arranged them on the center panel, sewing them with clear thread. Added a little trim and...voila! Sweet dreams. One of the nice features is that we can easily change the photos when we want a new look.

I hope this picture isn't too big, but I hope Glenn or Steve or some other techie will fix it for me. Thank you.

Wow, that is BIG. Sure makes my grandchildren look good Somebody will be along to resize it, I'm sure. Glenn knows what a miracle it is that I even got it on the page.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:44 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy

HOW FAB IS THIS! What a great idea, and so well done!>G>G>G>
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's your smaller image,

and here's the URL to the new image http://tinypic.com/2af79t

BTW-That is one beautifil headboard
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Wow that is really a different idea! Great Job!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Great job. Thanks for sharing it with us.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Beautiful job. What did you do with the window. Whatever it is it sure looks nice.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
SMC, we removed the cornices and the side curtains and resized a cafe curtain from Wally World to make a valance. The valance is a sheer fabric with an embroidered edge of houses and trees. Goes better with the quilt, I think. Our nosey doggie tends to loosen the lower brackets holding the curtains in her enthusiasm to "speak" to anyone outside so we removed some of them that got in her way. We did the same for the window over the dresser.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 AM   #8
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Looks nice & different.Is that a Trail Mix quilt? I love quilts & made one that looks a a lot like yours.Pat
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Thanks for sharing!! That is a great idea. Our unit has a window/emergency exit at the head of the bed, but I'm sure a smaller version would work elsewhere. Did you make the quilt? It is lovely, and really like the window treatment.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Pat, the pattern I used is from a Better Homes and Gardens book of favorite quilts and they call it, "Timeless Treasure". As you know, there are many names for the same pattern. I've made two of these quilts and arranged the blocks in different ways to change the look of the layout, much like you would do with a log cabin quilt. It's great for using up scraps.

Sunshine, I've thought about making a smaller wall hanging using the plastic pockets to display photos. I thought it would be cute made of denim with rope trim. Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

where did you get the plastic??? Really a cute idea!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Walmart has everything! But I think I bought mine at Hancock's Fabric Store. Most sewing depts have the plastic on a roll with the tablecloth fabric that you can buy off the roll. I think it's good to use a medium weight plastic so it has some body, heavier than one would find over a gift box, etc. Hope that makes some sense, Carol. I've been putting more pictures in it and it just gets better and better. Love having those pictures so close. When I use this technique again, probably to make a smaller wallhanging of picture pockets, I'm going to try to glue flat upholstery braid on the edge of the plastic. Probably will be easier that mitering all those corners with the fabric. But I've gotten pretty good at mitering now!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
By the way, we did put a piece of 1/2 inch foam under the fabric, glued it to 1/4" plywood and then reinforced the back edges with 1 inch wide strips. The plywood was a little flimsy without the strips. It also gave us a better base for stapling the fabric to the back of the board. You could probably use half inch plywood without reenforcing it.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

I was just wondering, cause in my hobby there is a lot of chatter about archival safe and no photo transfer plastic. I was kinda wondering if the plastic will "stick" to the photos, and if you will be able to get them out later, or if the plastic will pick up the print?

It is such a cute idea, I can imagine you could go in any direction with it, sorta like scrapbooking. Different kinds of trim, etc. Oh, boy, you could sure let some creative juices fly with this one!

Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Carol
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I wondered about the photo ink transfering to the plastic, too, Carol, especially when I was ironing on the back. I did go over one of the photos, warping it a bit but nothing transfered. Don't know how it will hold up down the road (literally, eh?). Maybe the scrapbooking industry has some acid free,archival plastic. I didn't give this a lot of thought before I made it but if it doesn't last forever, it will be easy to replace. And we'll enjoy it while it works. By the way, it doesn't take much to get my creative juices flowing. Not that I often have good ideas, but I have plenty of ideas. LOL
Old 03-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #16
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
My Trail Mix quilt is from a BH&G quilting mag. Several of us on the About boards made this quilt. I have pics of mine, but don't know how to send .Pat
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Pat, I went to the tinypic site and hosted the picture from my photos on the computer. After you host the picture it will appear with three or four URLs below it. By cutting and pasting the one in the IMG box, you can insert it into your message. My picture came through very large even though Tinypic claims it will resize it. Lady RV and Glenn solved that problem for me. Actually if you do a "search" of 'tinypic' on this forum, Glenn has a very nice and more accurate description of this process.

I'd love to see your quilt! Judy
Old 03-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #18
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
I'll try, tho I't far from a puter expert.This was on the bed, before being sent to a long arm quilter.Wow...it woked, lol. Pat
Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #19
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
I'm on a roll....This looks curvy, cause it was hanging on the awning.Taken after being quilted by a long arm quilter.Q size
Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's beautiful, Pat! It's definitely the same pattern. At Houston they had several quilts from this block in a display. Made me feel like a "real" quilter. My other version of this quilt has the four square pieces with the dark squares connecting and I arranged it so it looks like an Irish Chain. Guess I'll have to take a picture.....Looks like I need resizing help again! Please!

We're getting dangerous now, Pat, with all this 'puter knowledge! J.