Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
Storage upgrade

I was curious if any of you have made this improvement and could give photos or ideas. In my old (98 Shasta TT) unit, I had a small storage compartment on each side of the TT. In the new TT, the storage compartment goes completely across the front of the unit with doors on both sides. The stuff that is in the middle is very hard to reach and you have to take everything out to get to it.

I want to install plywood on something like cabinet drawer hardware so that I can pull the contents out like a drawer to access it.

I'm not sure if these come on 5th wheels, but I have seen them on the big motorhomes. What do you think?

Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We purchased under bed plastic storage units that have wheels. Took the wheels off the bottom unit, have 2 more on top. They hold a LOT of stuff, one has stuff for cooking, hot dog sticks, that kind of thing.

Lots of other good ideas will be forthcoming from other MOC members.

Congrats on the new unit, may you spend may happy hours RVing in it.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

I too have thought about this. I'm thinking I might use the same approach I did on the bed slide mod., by taking fixed caster wheels, turning them up-side down and mounting them to the floor. Then build a 8' long drawer. Haven't finished the details, but that's the direction I may take.

If you'll send me a PM with your E-Mail address I will send pictures of the bed slide Mod., showing the casters.

I have seen adds for theese drawers installed somewhere but they were high dollar.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jeff and Sharon, the sliding tray in the basement is an option on the Montanas and, I assume, probably on the Mountaineer. But that's not much help since you already have the Mountaineer. The one I saw recently goes across the entire width of the basement, has a latch on each end and can be operated from either end.

For a possible aftermarket solution or at least ideas for building your own, Camping World has several options at this link..
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1836&src=SRQZ
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
One of my best friends showed me how to make a 'Papas Little Helper' out of electrical conduit. Take a 7 or 8 foot length of 1/2 inch conduit, flatten about 6 inches on one end and bend it 90 degrees. Kinda like an L.

I can reach stuff all the way on the other side with it. Works for pushing & pulling both.

I use one for the back of my truck as well.

Russ
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
One of the extras we got was the sliding tray that goes all the way across the basement. It is great. You can slide it from either side and easily get at what is in the middle. The price was only $232.50 and worth every penney.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:51 AM   #7
RnR
Established Member

M.O.C. #161
I use the old reliable awning rod w/ the hook end or a "GOPHER"
Garry (RnR)
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:09 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We just had a tool box installed on our pickup at an auto accessories store, and while there, I looked at a brochure about the sliding bed storage they now have for pickups and the brochure stated they could be installed in the belly of motorcoaches. Would think they would work on 5'vers too.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
Thanks guys! I think I will have to make a trip to my friendly neighborhood Lowe's store to see what is available. I'm sure they have lots of good stuff to mess with.

Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, here's my take on the rolling trays. My Big Sky came with one in it. It is about three feet wide and is the width of the basement less about six inches on each end.

There are pluses and minuses about the tray. Obviously, When you can pull the tray out, things are more accessable. The negative is that you lose some height in your basement. That is because the mechanism takes up some space. Lost space is lost space. Inaccessability is just that.

The bottom line is that it is a trade off and you have to assess what is your greatest priority here and act accordingly.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One thing I didn't see mentioned -- we also have some things in the middle of the basement storage that is very hard to get to from outside without removing several other things first. But, I can get to them through the laundry chute door by just moving the laundry basket and setting it aside. Ours doesn't have the wire basket but I assume it lifts out, too?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Two seven foot lengths of garage door track, a piece of plywood, and garage door replacement wheel assemblies, 6 each. Mount the tracks on the floor facing toward each other at the desired width. Cut plywood wide enough (1/2 inch exterior grade is fine)to fit between tracks. Mount wheel assemblies on top of plywood. one on each side in the middle and on both ends. Slide plywoord & wheels into tracks. Put a stop in the middle of the tracks to prevent pulling out all the way. You can cut hand holds into the plywood at each end. Pulls out from either side. IOnsert a locking pin in one side so unit does not slide during travel. Note, depending on load and plywood used, the end that is pulled our may sag. Also, the hweels on the end being pulled out come out of the track and must be aligned to the track when the tray is pushed back in. Get innovative.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 PM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We had the 335RLBS Mountaineer prior to our Montana. I know exactly the issue you are struggling with regardin that front compartment. I do not think that you can use one of the large slides that come in the 5ers. The door way on your TT is not large enought and the compartment may not be wide enough unless they may a slide that is narrower that those I have seen. I simpled used plastic tubs when we had the TT and they seemed to work fairly well. I hope you can find a solution and sell it to Keystone. That was one of the reasons we upgraded to the 5er; MORE storage.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote