Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Michigan to Salt Lake City, November???

Ok, I need all your experience and knowledge. Just routed Michigan to Salt Lake City Utah, basically is says get on I 80 and head west.

Truthfully, what would we expect to encounter for weather during the first two weeks of November. OK, make that anytime in November.

Like is this doable, or NOT?

Be honest, please.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Carol, when you get into the mountain area you will likely find snow at that time of the year. Of course they try to keep the Interstate open all year but this year does sound like an early winter and you should plan on taking your time and watching the weather. I-80 until the pass in Nevada is usually pretty good.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Geeeshhh Helen

There was that nasty foul four letter word, snow.

But, I do want honest!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We saw snow showers in Yellowstone in early September, so I guess it goes without saying that late November you'd be pushing your luck. Of course if you have to pull over and wait a day or two for things to clear, at least you have a place to stay!

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I think more importantly Carol is to check on how many of the campgrounds are open that late. Many along that route close when the temps get down to the thirtys. When we used to travel in the winter we usually had to park at motels and stay overnite in them until we got far enough south.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We'll talk about your trip on I-80 when we are at the Rally, Carol! See you in about three weeks!
Ron
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rondo

That sounds like a plan!

Thanx
Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
SOOOO, lets reverse the trip and do it about April 15 to May 1st.

Feedback on that one??

Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
If it was me I would do the trip in April instead of November. Usually not much snow if any that time of year and if it does snow it will only be for a day or so and will melt pretty soon. November can be nice and then it can be snowy--the biggest problem would be in Wyoming--those mountain passes can be snow. A lot of campgrounds will start opening in April and May and a lot close in October.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Carol,

When we were just in Colorado we stopped at several RV Parks. We were told that lots of them close in October. Not sure if this helps, but I was a little bummed, I thought it would be fun to see the white stuff until hubby started talking about the mountain passes we were driving on and having snow or ice on them. I was just thinking I could wiggle my nose and just pop the Montana to my RV park of choice. Not looking at Texas this year? Can give you several names of parks if you are looking at the Austin area.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are talking about so many different ideas it makes my head spin. As many of you know, we have been grounded for most of the last 18-24 months, cept for 2 wonderful weeks in April 09 and 5 wonderful weeks that just ended.

Al wants me to finally get to the library in Salt Lake, but we have pretty well decided it ain't gonna happen in November thanks to all the good MOCers feedback.

We are looking at Gulf Shores, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and other possibles, but will be moving around this year/winter.

God willing, the creek don't rise and the doctors don't find anything else wrong with either one of us in the next 2 months. Believe me, everytime I go to the doctor, I figure they are gonna find something more. Gun shy I guess!

As usual, thanks for the continuing feedback, what a family!!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Carol, wise decision! Of course, this means it won't snow in November this year. But, better to err on the side of caution. I think moving around could be fun. That's what we plan to do since this is our first year longtiming. Who knows, maybe we'll meet up on the road.

Think positive, when visiting the doctor. Sometimes that helps!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, in November it is hit or miss in that area as far as having snow and/or ice problems. In early November you might be ok or might no. In late November I think your odds are far worse. Remember, I-80 in Wyoming ranges from around 5,000 or so feet to maybe 7,000 ft. I don't remember the exact numbers and may be off a thousand or two but it's higher than you'd think. Otherwise, it's a nice drive. For an interstate, anyhow. Even if the forecast is good I doubt we'd risk it. The weather can change quickly on you in that area and you can't exactly cut south into Colorado to reduce the chance for snow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We drove I-80 across Wyoming in July and had elevations of almost around 9,000 feet.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #16
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
An issue that you will have on I-80 is not necessarily the snow, but the wind. It does not have to be snowing to have white out conditions in Wyoming. Areas of concern would be Cheyenne to Laramie (The Summit), Arlington/Elk Mountain to Walcott Junction, and The Sisters (3 hills east of Evanston). It is not uncommon to see I-80 closed between Laramie and Rawlins when there is snow on the ground, and the winds of Thor are blowing cold.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Have your husband watch all the episodes of "Ice Road Truckers" on Discovery to prepare him for the worst, then go for it!

J/K of course! Living my life in Michigan has made snow an integral part of my driving education and I don't mind it at all, but I would worry about finding facilities to stay at since most are closed that time of year, and the ones open (state/federal) are usually primitive. If you are going to the Salt Lake Library because you are interested in doing genealogy research, there may a local branch nearer to you. We had one about 15 miles from our house at one time, but I don't know if it's still there or not.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks All, for the great info.

As far as the Family History Library, I was a volunteer in one for almost 10 years. I am NOT a Mormon, just afflicted with family history research disease. And even tho I was a volunteer there for so long, there is NOTHING like being able to get your hands on all those books and films, fast, and not have to wait for 7 to 90 days for a film to come to the local FHC (Family History Center). I understand there are now digital printers to take images from film to flash drive, and I have like 3 or 4 entire films I would love to do that with, and those are just from one church in Germany! LOL

Yep, I really hope to get there one time, and would love to say, I had to buy a new 500 gig external harddrive to store it all! WAHHOOOO.

Told ya, I was a family history research afflicted individual!