Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
mrs_sealcoat

M.O.C. #23491
HELP?!? First time flushing tanks-not going well.

First time fifth wheel owner, but previously a 2013 Sprinter TT-so I thought I had a good handle on tank flushing with Keystones. We have a 2019 High Country 385BR . This was our first week using it and I just went to flush and clean out the tanks. Nothing worked right and I’ll let you guess what happened when I attempted to open the safety cover and attach the sewer hose. 🤦🏼*♀️

1st issue: The black tank only has a lever in the "convenience center", not above the actual exhaust line. (The gray tank has one in the convenience center AND above the actual gray exhaust line). The problem- even when the black lever is in the closed position inside the convenience center, it still has a steady but light stream of fluid coming out of it.

2nd issue: We're seasonal, so I don't leave the water on when I'm not there. But when I turned the fresh water on for the camper today from the post, it started pouring out of a line underneath the camper in the rear corner. There was a valve with a knob there, but in all the times we've used the camper in the last week, nothing has come out of that.

Any ideas where to begin here??? I've attached pictures for reference.
Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4262.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	3552  
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_sealcoat View Post
First time fifth wheel owner, but previously a 2013 Sprinter TT-so I thought I had a good handle on tank flushing with Keystones. We have a 2019 High Country 385BR . This was our first week using it and I just went to flush and clean out the tanks. Nothing worked right and I’ll let you guess what happened when I attempted to open the safety cover and attach the sewer hose. 🤦🏼*♀️

1st issue: The black tank only has a lever in the "convenience center", not above the actual exhaust line. (The gray tank has one in the convenience center AND above the actual gray exhaust line). The problem- even when the black lever is in the closed position inside the convenience center, it still has a steady but light stream of fluid coming out of it.
First lets make sure we all understand the tank system in your HC. There is a black tank with a open/close handle in the convenience center. The other handle next to it is for the shower grey tank. The third handle is for the *OTHER* grey tank for the kitchen. 3 Tanks, 3 handles.
If the black tank handle is closed there should't be anything coming out of it assuming the tank was drained. If you are getting black water from it then the valve is not closing or somebody just used the toilet. Did you have the flush line connected and running when the water was running out?

Quote:
2nd issue: We're seasonal, so I don't leave the water on when I'm not there. But when I turned the fresh water on for the camper today from the post, it started pouring out of a line underneath the camper in the rear corner. There was a valve with a knob there, but in all the times we've used the camper in the last week, nothing has come out of that.

Any ideas where to begin here??? I've attached pictures for reference.
Thanks so much!!
The line at the back is the fresh water tank drain. It appears as though the convenience center valve for the water supply is turned to the "Fill Fresh Water Tank" position and not the "Normal" position. The water from the spigot is being sent to the fresh water tank and, because the valve is open, subsequently onto the ground.

Even though you don't use the fresh water tank, close the valve and the end. Then ensure the input water valve is set to the "Normal" position.

A good practice is to purchase a Valtera twist on gate valve and install it at the sewer outlet. That will stop any surprises when you remove the cap to attach the hose. Seconfly buy a clear connector so you can see what is happening when you do drain the tanks.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Carl and Susan, exactly what I was going to say!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Great info! I did both, use a 45 degree clear elbow attached to the slide gate valve at the end of the sewer line. Took the end cap off and no more surprises when taking the cap off to attach sewer hose. One of my better investments.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote