Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Slide Seals ?

So we’ve been moving around and at CG # 15 this summer.
Started getting black marks on a couple slide walls.
Noticed that inside seals seem to be making a noise while going out.
What's the suggestions for treating the inside seals. I’ve done outside with spray seal treatment, and don’t notice any noise from them.

Is it ok to bring slides in just enough to get to the seal? Seems I’ve read about not stopping slide mid way , don’t want to create a problem.
2018 3731 FL 6 slides
Thanks

MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #2
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
there is a rubber sealer for the slides, probably at a rv store. And you will always get some black marks, just find a product to clean it off.

and as for stopping your slides before they go all the way out???? you can stop them at any point without a problem.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we full time and when we set up for any length of time we have wall hangings and things that keep me from pulling the slides in so I always do mine all the way out. I use Tetford slide seal treatment twice a year. There's probably something better and some folks even use baby powder, but it works for us so we stick to it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have found that not doing complete cycles on the hydraulic slides can cause seals to not completely open, causing me to have to pull the seals out with my fingers to correct position. Doesn't hurt anything but. For what it is worth my dealer told me that cable and schwintec (SP?) operated slides need to be fully cycled.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It's inevitable that you'll start to get marks on the slides as your fiver ages. Even with treating the seals ... they will age and adding dirt accumulating on exterior walls spells marks. Some use baby powder applied by an old sock ... others use some brand of rubber/vinyl conditioner. As far as cycling your slides ... you can stop or start them anywhere you want to access seals ... why would you not be able to? There are no limit switches on the slide mechanisms. If the seals don't flip like needed, just get a 3 foot wood yard stick and flip them or completely cycle the slides once again. If you do have persistent slide seals that don't flip ... Heartland RV's have these little 12" pieces of plastic that attaches to the outer side of slide outs. They only stick up about 1/8", but they really work to flip slide seals. A Heartland dealer can get them for you or some carry lengths of the material onsite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00041.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	2290  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote