Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not fun but finally fixed it...

Full-timing in our rig... a few weeks ago, I reported a problem that a landing leg I had repaired a couple of years ago, failed once again.

I thought the shaft I replaced had broken once again, but I was wrong. I jacked and braced the front of my rig. I removed the failed landing leg and found that it had completely seized. The shaft I had replaced was fine but the worm gear would not move AT ALL. I can't see inside the landing leg housing so I have no idea why the leg no longer extends or retracts. I ordered a new landing leg assembly and it finally came in this week. Today, I spent a few hours installing it (I took my time and I'm not as spry as I used to be) and I am happy to report all is well now. Other than having to do a slight bit of grinding it was a pretty good install.

When installed there are a couple of stops where the landing leg sits against the frame and where it mounts and the stops keep the landing gear in place. This aftermarket replacement did not fit into the gap correctly, so I had to grind down about 1/16" of one of the stops to get it to fit and sit correctly. Fortunately I had a grinder with me and slow and steady got the job done.

Having all the equipment I needed, blocks and chocks, jacks and battery powered tools helped a lot. I keep all this stuff in my truck bed tool box.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Glad you were able to get it fixed. I think as it has been said before if you own an RV you should be able to do some repair. It would be interesting to see what caused everything to seize.

Tom Marty
Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Interesting that your replacement didn't fit correctly. The Bulldog set that I installed a couple of years back slipped right in with no problems.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Interesting that your replacement didn't fit correctly. The Bulldog set that I installed a couple of years back slipped right in with no problems.
My Bulldogs didn't quite fit because some excess weld fillets got in the way of full engagement to the Montana's mounting brackets. Simple enough fix though. A little hand work with a flat bastard, and all was well.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote