Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Solar System finished

Well, after only ten million visits to Lowes and Home Depot as well as days spent on-line and endless questions to many of you, I finally have finished installing my solar system. It seems great but I won't really be able to test it to its capacity until we get out and travel in May. The final product consists of 4 AM100 solar panels, with 4 golf cart batteries, a magnum pure sine 2000 watt inverter, a Blue Sky MPPT solar controller, surge protector, and the IPN ProRemote meter. This should give me fairly consistent power from my battery bank capacity of 440AH. The real test will be when we get out West and try it out boondocking in Southern Utah. Thanks to all those who have generously contributed with their advice.

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Looking foreword to reports on how well it works. Did you attach the solar panels to the roof and could you post pic's, would like to see how you did the installation.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
John - Sounds like a great Mod, and a lot of work to get it done. Congrads on that.

Could you post what the weight of this Mod is when complete, or if you didn't weight those parts, how much did the battery bank weigh, and were did you locate them. thanks John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:18 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you don't mind my asking, how about a report on co$t - unless you don't want Dorothy to see!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Yes, I'd love to see how you set up the battery bank.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OK, I have never done the Photobucket thing but here goes. I hope if you go to the following site you will find pictures: http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...olar%20Panels/
These will show the roof installation and wiring down the blackwater vent pipe,which is not a direct shot by the way. Then I put the batteries in the prepared box for the genset in front of the Monty. Since I wanted no sparks I mounted everything else in the old battery compartment, next to the genset box.I vent the batteries with a plastic box that will have as a vent hose, you guessed it, an rv sewer hose. It will vent out the top of the door. Next to the batteries I installed a surge protector first, then the Inverter. On the wall next to the Inverter is the Solar controller, shunt and big 400amp fuse. There is also a smaller 40 amp fuse protecting the Solar Controller. Someone asked about costs. Well it was not cheap and you could cut a corner or so from my design. Here is the basic breakdown that doesn't count gas going to and from Lowes and electrical supply houses.
4 - AM100 Solar Panels $2844
Magnum 2000 Watt Pure Sine MS2012 Inverter $1395
Blue Sky SB 3024i Solar Conroller $248
IPN-Pro Meter - for Contoller $$140
Magnum MERC50 Remote meter for Inverter $229
4 6V Golf Cart Batteries from Sams Club $240
Cabling, misc. connectors, shipping at least $300
(Tax ?). The grand total is around $5400

Finally, if any of you plan on attempting this I strongly recommend you look at the best web site of all on this topic: http://jmayer6.tripod.com/index.html Jack Mayer who hosts the site gave me endless expert help. All I can say is the system works and I started out without knowing anything about it. Thank you Jack.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
WOW !!! I'm REALLY impressed !! The photos worked GREAT !!! I guess that's what you need for chasing balloons, huh ??

What will that allow you to run as far as BIG stuff? A/C ? microwave?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Thanks for sharing the pictures. The installation looks clean and professional. I appreciate you sharing the prices as I have wondered what a solar system would cost. Now, get out there and enjoy your hard work!!!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Great Modification, Your needed on that TV SHOW """JERICO"" I think it is.... You have your own little power plant and can go anywhere now. Just remember to take some water with you. ha ha

Great JOB.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote