Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Carpet

There have been several threads on carpet, but I don't recall any addressing the lack of a carpet pad or any fixes. The DW is concerned about the lack of a pad around the stairs and laundry door areas.

Any suggestions as to how we can deter excess wear in that area would be appreciated.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The carpet pad appears to be @ 1/4 inch foam . Don't know if there is any one the steps or laundry door (3400) does not feel like there is..Ours is 9 months old with @ 3 months of living in it and the step area is flattening out..that's RV'ing.. Helen's thought is that we replace the step area with wood flooring when the carpet wears out.Just about everywhere in a camper is a high traffic area. We are purchasing some nice Oriental rugs to enhance the decor and prolong OEM carpet life.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
While at an Rv show this weekend I noticed in some other rvs that you could actually feel a little spring in your step. My first thought was why did Keystone not put a little better pad under the carpet? The carpet would of worn better if they would of did so.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, we have encountered this "flattening" of the carpet nap in our 3280. We have been fulltiming for one year, and have decided that when the 3400 gets here we will put a runner up the steps into the bedroom/bath area and also a 4X6 or better carpet at the entry along the kitchen island, as this will be a high traffic area also.j[
The carpet nap is a cut pile as you are aware. If they had left it as a loop style instead of shearing it the wear pattern would have been much better and it would have forced them to put a slightly heavier pad underneath in my opinion.
Hope you are both having a ball on the road!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rick..We have a 4X6 runner in front of the island.That area does take a lot of traffic as well as some splash over from the sink.The carpeting in the Montana is no better no worse than others in the same price range or in other campers we have owned.Yes we are having a ball "on the road" Living in these things gives you an entirely different perspective on Campers in terms of how well they hold up with continual use.We have to keep reminding ourselves that these are Recreational vehicles and not designed for long time continual use. In view of that they do not do bad at all.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
One of the first things that I noticed when we purchased our Montana last June was the carpet. We had two runners from our previous RV that I put on the stairs and in the bedroom to keep the wear at a minimum. I purchased a three piece carpet set from Kohl's on sale for the living room, desk chair and entry way. They worked so well so I went back and got another set that goes under the dining table, behind the sink and at the front door. Most of the carpet is now covered by a stronger rug or runner. We shall see if the traffic on the rugs wear on the carpet below. I think I spent $80 each set on the carpets at Kohl's. The things that I bought at CW weren't cheap. What I like about the carpets from CW is that they will allow you to put them on the stairs and it will mold to them as they are more flexible.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote