Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Montana_1580

M.O.C. #1580
Short bed truck VS long bed truck & 3400RL?

We are brand new RVers—in fact, we don't even have our new 3400RL yet. We are now shopping for a truck. We are pretty close to selecting a Chevy Silverado 2500 crew cab HD duramax diesel—anyone have comments on their experience with this truck? Also, we keep going back and forth between long and short bed—hearing different things from different people. We'd appreciate any suggestions along this line, as well as 4X4 versus 2-wheel drive.

We must admit we're a bit dismayed with the "problems" that we find reported on in the forum about Keystone and the Montana, especiallly our model (3400RL). Since we are completely new to this game, any suggestions are most welcome!!!!!
Thanks.

Montana_1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
mauicruisers, I think you'll find that both the shortbed/longbed and the 4x2/4x4 question will come down to which works best for you, which best fits your needs. One thing mentioned I'd like to clarify because it can be misunderstood, has to do with whether the length of a shortbed is sufficient for towing a longer trailer. Keep in mind shortbed does not mean short wheelbase and that's the more important question in my opinion. My shortbed supercab truck is longer than it's brother longbed standard cab truck and has a longer wheelbase. So that question is not shortbed vs longbed, it's short wheelbase vs long wheelbase. We've towed our 35 1/2 foot Montana all over this country and I'd buy another shortbed supercab in a heartbeat.

4x2 by 4x4. All our prior tow vehicles were 4x2 and I never felt the need for 4x4. This one is 4x4 because that's what the truck had when I bought it so I went with it. In the past year I've had several times where I would not have got into a site or out of it without the 4x4. Some were where I had to back up a hill in loose gravel to get into a site. Others were just getting through some much into a site. One was getting through mud to get out of a site and it was not muddy when we parked there. On all the other situations I could have avoided using 4x4 by choosing a different site. The last time I'd have probably had to have someone else tow us through the much to get the Montana out. Nevertheless, in my opinion, 4x4 or 4x2 depends on your personal preferences. Hope that makes some sense.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote