Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
Retire 2022
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20065
"Trailer Wiring Fault"

When towing our Monty the last two times I had a message pop that says..."Trailer Wiring Fault". Have any of you had this issue? What was your fix for this issue? The trailer brakes won't work when the message pops up but after a a few miles they begin working again. Then after a few more miles I apply the brakes, the message is back, and the brakes aren't working once again. Is it a truck issue or a trailer issue? Help!

Retire 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Doug,

The problem can be either with the truck or the trailer. The first place I would look is the wiring going into your trailer drums for either a short or an open. The axle movement can put a strain on the brake wiring there.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Look for poor ground. That is often last place folks look and often is the culprit
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Have seen the wires ferad were come out of the axle tubs they rub through the insulation right there. Also have seen a problem inside the brake drum get tangled up and pulling the wires lose.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 AM   #5
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Make sure your plug is clean and tight in the socket. My ram will throw an error also if the connection is bad or the plug is not tight.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Maurice45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18380
Send a message via AIM to Maurice45
We had a similar problem, the ground in the umbilical to the trunk was not making contact in the plug, Replaced the plug, problem solved.
Maurice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice45 View Post
We had a similar problem, the ground in the umbilical to the trunk was not making contact in the plug, Replaced the plug, problem solved.
I agree. The plug is the weakest link. Might try a dab of dilectric grease on the prongs
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
danpizzi8575

M.O.C. #22522
Bad Ground

While I haven't had this issue with my camper, I have had it with other trailers I own and its always been a bad ground,
danpizzi8575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We had that problem on our last trip. I finally narrowed it down to an issue with water having gotten into the connector where the umbilical plugs into the truck. I used some contact cleaner to displace the moisture and dried it with a blow dryer. Haven't had the error since.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
Retire 2022
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20065
Thank you all for your responses and knowledge. I'll start with cleaning up and drying out the plugs in truck and on the trailer. Then one by one eliminate your other suggestions if the plug isn't the problem. I really appreciate all of your advice.
Retire 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #11
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I had a F-350. The trailer fault for me was usually the right rear wheel brake magnet arm cutting the wire inside the brake drum. Sometimes the wire clip that retains the wire on the magnet arm will wear into the wire. It only has to make contact with one strand of wire to cause a headache.
I also found the wire inside the axle had frayed about the center of the axle tube.
Good Luck, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
Patyacht

M.O.C. #22123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire 2022 View Post
When towing our Monty the last two times I had a message pop that says..."Trailer Wiring Fault". Have any of you had this issue? What was your fix for this issue? The trailer brakes won't work when the message pops up but after a a few miles they begin working again. Then after a few more miles I apply the brakes, the message is back, and the brakes aren't working once again. Is it a truck issue or a trailer issue? Help!
Had the same issue with my Keystone Raptor. I took it to a shop that had a worker who knew brakes and had the proper equipment to especially check the voltage at each brake assembly. Found numerous issues to include wiring, bad magnets and bad brake assemblies. Even found 1 axle had a mechanical assembly while all the others had auto adjusting assemblies. Thank you Keystone! Unfortunately I'm out of warranty and Keystone won't come to the plate. But at least I have brakes now.
Patyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Yep, Had the exact same message, and it would come and go. When I had my wheel bearings replaced a couple of weeks ago, the mechanic said you have torn wires in the left rear drum, so he soldered and joined them together, and hopefully i won't see that problem again!
Old 09-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Trailer wiring fault

Literally, our "fix" was a new trailer. Actually that happened to us as well. The first year the trailer brakes were fine. Into the second year, it started acting up, until it got so bad it was alarming every few seconds, going "in and out" of fault. It spent a week at the truck dealer (GMC) checking everything they could, replacing all components, and they could not fix the problem. It was inconsistent, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. On to the trailer dealer, who also had it another week, and couldn't find anything. Finally resorted to installing an aftermarket Tekonsha unit. After that, I never had another problem as long was we owned that particular trailer (a 2014 3725 model). In 2017 we got the 3810 model. On a whim, I reverted back to the factory brake system, because frankly, I think it works better. In two years now, I we have had NO problems, and NO faults. I firmly believe that there was something in the 2014 trailer that was bad, but it was so intermittent you couldn't pin it down. I have since heard that the trailer manufacturers, hearing of these problems, have changed the wiring a bit. I was also told that since around 2012, the factory brake systems have become MUCH more sensitive, hence the problems. I will say that on our older truck, a 2008 GMC, we had absolutely no problems with the brake system on it, through three different trailers. I should also note that we started having problems when we upgraded the truck from a 2008 GMC to a 2015 GMC with the more sensitive controller.....so I'm told.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
On a further note about this problem, I followed several forums on the different trucks back then to see if there were other problems out there. Turned out it was a BIG problem, but mostly with Dodge and Chevy/GMC trucks, who used a European manufacture brake controller. Ford uses someone else's, I heard they use Tekonsha? Anyway, there were dozens of complaints about this problem, and a whole bunch of various fixes, right up to wiring a light bulb in the circuit to create a "load" that the controller would see.

So, not an isolated issue by any means.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #16
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Instead of chasing a bunch of gremlins, start with taking the trailer wheels off and inspect the wires then. I had an issue with a brand new trailer. CW kept chasing all kinds of problems. I kept insisting that they pull the wheels and look. Finally, I'd had enough of the warranty "service" and pulled the wheels. Almost every wire was chafed or cut. The routing of the wires leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #17
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
1st check the ground on the male receptacle on the truck and the female on the cord. Any type of corrision can cause the system not to work. If corrosion is visible clean the post with sand paper or small file. DO NOT USE ANY SPRAY. If this does not remedy the problem then take off the wheels and brake drums and check the magnets and wires. While doing this also check the brakes, pack the wheel bearings and replace the grease seals if needed.
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 AM   #18
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
We had that problem on our last trip. I finally narrowed it down to an issue with water having gotten into the connector where the umbilical plugs into the truck. I used some contact cleaner to displace the moisture and dried it with a blow dryer. Haven't had the error since.
I found this to be my exact problem as well. A good spray of contact cleaner from Lowes, and it goes away! I don't go as far as a blow drier, but works every time anyways.
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
When that message appeared in conjunction with brake failure it turned out to be the wire that passes through the axle.

On my 2010 Mountaineer, they used what looked like lamp cord zip wire. the insulation had chafed off in a couple of places. That and a slurry of rusty water sloshing about in the axle tube created an intermittent short (usually at the worst moment).

When the brakes failed, I got under the trailer and pulled on the wires going through the axle to make sure they were suspended and not touching the inside of the axle. Fault went away. So I replace the axle wires. Rewired brakes to the back outside of the axle.

Hope this helps.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
Take a look into the plug from the fiver. Most likely the pins/connectors have loosened or gotten corroded. Use some electronic cleaner from CRC and spray it liberally on all of the pins/connectors. Then using a jackknife or small screwdriver put it between the rubber and the connector and bend each connnector to close it. Do it on both sides. This should fix the problem, unless there is something more serious like grounding wires.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote