Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
2019 Montana High Country

We are in Colorado and had rain today. We noticed a leak in the rear living area. I got on top of the roof and I think I have a leak around the AC unit. I called Camping World and they’d said it would not be covered under our extended warranty. We are in Pagosa Springs CO and I tried to find a mobile RV repair to come to the park but could not find one. If I have to fix myself not sure how to do.

Anyone know of a mobile RV in the area or how to fix?

RLCJAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:14 AM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCJAH View Post
We are in Colorado and had rain today. We noticed a leak in the rear living area. I got on top of the roof and I think I have a leak around the AC unit. I called Camping World and they’d said it would not be covered under our extended warranty. We are in Pagosa Springs CO and I tried to find a mobile RV repair to come to the park but could not find one. If I have to fix myself not sure how to do.

Anyone know of a mobile RV in the area or how to fix?

Don’t know if a mobile RV tech but if you provide some more info maybe we can help get it fixed. Why do you say the leak is by the ac?
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
I got up on the roof and noticed water pooling near the AC which is almost the exact leakage noted inside.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCJAH View Post
I got up on the roof and noticed water pooling near the AC which is almost the exact leakage noted inside.
Dometic ac? Is the drain plugged? Is the gasket snug?
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:42 AM   #5
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
When it gets light out I plan on getting back up there and check the bolts, gasket and sealant cracks.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #6
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
We have a 2019 High Country also... had a roof leak in the living room area also...just rear of the A/C at a ceiling batt strip. Found that the factory had made the hole for the A/C too large and the gasket under the A/C was drooping down into the larger hole, causing the leak. Technician had to remove the A/C and fill the void where the larger hole was. Replaced the gasket with new (since it had deformed into the void. The roofing was ok, just reattached it to the new filled area. If you are seeing water ponding around A/C, you may have the same issue.... just a thought. Lucky for us, our unit was still under warranty, and Keystone picked up the tab on the repair, and even a later check-up (5 months later) to verify everything was ok, and to replace the stained ceiling strip. You might want to contact Keystone Customer Service directly on coverage rather than taking CW's word for it.. we have found that Keystone C/S is much better to deal with than some of the dealers.
Good Luck.

William and Susan - Abingdon, IL
2019 Montana High Country 331RL / Sailun ST235/80s
B&W Patriot 18k Slider / 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SW
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:10 AM   #7
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
Thank you. I will call them first thing this am. We bought the extended warranty but our Camping World rep called it a “fastener” issue and it’s not covered. Rubbish, they made the problem they need to fix.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Take pictures if you find the AC is improperly installed.
Keystone paid the full bill for mobile RV tech.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
After the water leaking did anyone have a sagging ceiling molding in the back area?
Old 08-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Have a look in the files section for
Dometic AC Drip pan leak TSB

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=52
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
Ceiling didn't sag, but the batton strip between two ceiling panels had rusted staples... this is where the water from our leak dripped from (over the couch), running along the top of the ceiling panel, to a point it could drip out...I assume. Keystone paid to have the strip replaced and check for water damage. We were lucky, no mold, or residual damage.

William and Susan - Abingdon, IL
2019 Montana High Country 331RL / Sailun ST235/80s
B&W Patriot 18k Slider / 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SW
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
mepright

M.O.C. #24327
1-719-873-1800. Colorado RV Center. Ask for Shaun. in South Fork just over Wolf Creek Pass.
mepright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #13
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
Thank you!!!!
Old 08-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
The gasket under my living area AC was improperly installed. Luckily we were at the Montana Rally when we were in our first rainstorm. The entire living room floor was covered with water. A repair crew came almost immediately and fixed it. No leaks since. Definitely a warranty item. Improper installation should be covered regardless of warranty status.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Dennis Richards

M.O.C. #24685
Leaking AC gasket

I have a 2016 Montana and back in 2016 I had water coming out of my AC vent in the RL area. I had to bring it in to have it looked at. It ended up being that the factory failed to put the gasket in properly. Camping World removed the old and resealed it properly. I have not had any further issues. Not sure, however it sounds like your issue might be around that AC gasket. Good luck.
Dennis Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
I had a leak in my High Country. Water dripping from the AC duct in the living room area. Had a tech remove the AC unit only to find the gasket was fine and no leaks around the gasket. Yes the water was pooling around the AC unit but not leaking inside. Came to find out with another tech that the plastic cover over the AC unit has a top portion and a bottom portion. Rain was getting in where the two connected and running down the mounting bolt in the cold air return box and dripping onto the floor of the living room. Might want to check the seam of the plastic AC cover...
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #17
RLCJAH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26764
Thank you. We will definitely have a look.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
I found that the problem was likely the domestic AC itself. Our 2016 high country Had water leaking into the vents and the used dealer ruined the roof by putting duck butter under the ac unit. After the unit still leaked I tried to pull up the ac unit and it tore the rubber roof. The Dometic NXT has several holes that go through the bottom tray that have no sealant in them where the steel frame goes through the plastic and also the gasket on the bottom jumps over the steel frame leaving a possible leak in the cracks around steel from the gasket having to run over the steel. A heavy rain will push so much water against the gasket it leaks OVER the gasket and under the pan. These are my opinions. I sealed all these up with RTV and it was good after that and a new gasket.
Erikksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
we have a 2019 331 HC that is stored indoors 8 months out of the year. several weeks ago during a hard down pour the sky light above the kitchen sink started leaking pretty good. after the rain and the roof dried off i went up on the roof and discovered that the caulking around the sky light had opened up in several places. also discovered that the caulking around some of the other vents and seams was opened up ? 8 tubes of caulk later we have no more leaks LOL i know you should check your roof every year but i just didn't think i would need to do it on a new rig that,s only a year old. So you may want to check yours
miket49 is offline   Reply With Quote